Need help diagnosing WOT slippage

Need help diagnosing WOT slippage

Postby ritous1 [OP] » March 2nd 2012, 6:16am

Well guys, I think the supercharger has finally taken a toll on the 130k mile tranny. I can't say that I've been taking it easy on her. I punch it all the time. Lately I've noticed that any attempt to go wot is met with slippage. It doesn't matter if it's from cruise or from a stop. It shifts and accelerates fine under part throttle and gradual increases in throttle. It seems that the torque generated when I hammer it is overpowering the torque converter. Tranny fluid looked good at last drain, filter change, and refill. There was very little clutch material in the pan. That was all done after the first time I noticed this issue. I had already been considering an upgraded converter, but want to make sure it's not time for a rebuild before I blow my dough.
99 rwd 139k miles
paxton supercharger
bosch 36lb injectors
walbro 255 pump
aluminum radiator & dual efans
accel billet distributor
crane hi-6 ignition & race coil
magnaflow cat/ypipe
doug thorley dual exhaust
sonnax shift kit & vette servo
Original Poster [OP]
ritous1
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: ritous1 has been a member for 6 full yearsritous1 has been a member for 6 full yearsritous1 has been a member for 6 full yearsritous1 has been a member for 6 full yearsritous1 has been a member for 6 full yearsritous1 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 31

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Need help diagnosing WOT slippage

Postby redfury » March 2nd 2012, 6:23am

I think the best way to diagnose this would be to watch the transmission with a scanner to see if it's a problem with the converter or the clutch pack. Does it slip in every gear when you punch it?
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 3 full yearsredfury has been a member for 3 full yearsredfury has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby ritous1 [OP] » March 3rd 2012, 4:57am

When I punch it, it will down shift and rev high but wont go. The first time it happened I thought I was spinning the tires, but there was no squeal. Funny thing is you can let off then increase throttle gradually and all is well. The shifts are just as firm as when I first installed the shift kit. That's why I'm thinking it's the converter. Haven't tried anything with a scanner connected.
99 rwd 139k miles
paxton supercharger
bosch 36lb injectors
walbro 255 pump
accel billet distributor
magnaflow cat/ypipe
Original Poster [OP]
ritous1
Years of Membership: ritous1 has been a member for 6 full yearsritous1 has been a member for 6 full yearsritous1 has been a member for 6 full yearsritous1 has been a member for 6 full yearsritous1 has been a member for 6 full yearsritous1 has been a member for 6 full years

Postby redfury » March 3rd 2012, 5:25am

what about when you manually shift it through the gears? If the slippage is the same through all the gears, then it isn't the clutch packs. It's either the converter or the pump. Might just be one of those times to have a tranny guy diagnose it if you can afford a small fee to have them do it ( if they'll even charge you...who knows ).
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 3 full yearsredfury has been a member for 3 full yearsredfury has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby ritous1 [OP] » March 4th 2012, 9:28am

are you suggesting I floor it while manually shifting? I'm kinda affraid to try that, seems like it would do more damage.
99 rwd 139k miles
paxton supercharger
bosch 36lb injectors
walbro 255 pump
accel billet distributor
magnaflow cat/ypipe
Original Poster [OP]
ritous1

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » March 4th 2012, 2:02pm

Just a quick question.Are you sure your tires squeal when you spin them?Mine I can brake torque them till they smoke and the make no noise.same sound as spinning in water,almost nothing.You should have enough power it spins like that.Have some one follow you and punch it.If it is in the transmission I wouldn't worry about doing more damage.Damage is already done.And wont go away till it taken apart and rebuilt.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 4 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 4 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 4 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 62
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD cam ported

Postby ritous1 [OP] » March 5th 2012, 7:29am

Dont forget I'm running 20x9" wheels with 255/35/20 tires that seem to grip like crazy. The most I've ever gotten out of them are a 2nd and 4th gear chirp. Never tried a brake stand. I guess I'll try what redfury suggests and see what happens.
99 rwd 139k miles
paxton supercharger
bosch 36lb injectors
walbro 255 pump
accel billet distributor
magnaflow cat/ypipe
Original Poster [OP]
ritous1