Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

97 astro van need help with diagnosis

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TDMobile 
#1 ·
Hi im not much of a mechanic just want to know if anybody can tell me if its a tranny problem or engine??
I was driving my 97 astro van yesterday when it all of a sudden lost power and decided it couldn't climb hills anymore. It still ran but had about 20% of the power it normally does. There is a hesitation off the line and hard shift from 1st to 2nd which also felt late. Top speed of about 70km/hr and no power at all. The engine seemed to want to go but just nothing there, and at idle it revved fine with no hesitation. Just before all this happened it seemed to be not running quite right usually on hills i could keep up speed but on this day it only wanted to do about 80% while climbing. If anybody could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I have been reading some forums but did not find anything with this problem.

More information about van
97 2WD 4.3l V6

Thanks

#2 ·
Most of those problems happened to me right before my trans blew. I would check trans fluid level. If it's low, that's probably the problem. First find a level parking lot or driveway. It needs to be flat or the fluid level will not be accurate. With the van idling at running temperature, pull the trans dipstick, wipe it off, replace and pull it again. If it's within the crosshatched portion, your fluid level is good. If it's still on the dipstick but much lower than that section, add no more than a quart.

If the fluid level is good, I would have a trans shop check it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.