Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

1997 4L60E transmission

9K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  90safari 
#1 ·
I need a trans for my 1997 AWD Astro. I know it's a 4L60E (that's all I know). Will any 4L60E trans from a 1997 GM 4wd product fit? What other years and products should I be looking for? I have someone that will change the trans for me but I have to find it.

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
Any '97 4L60E from an AWD or 4WD GM product will work. I think a '98 will also work, but it needs to be from an AWD or 4x4 vehicle.

#3 ·
The key distinction of the Later 4L60-E (1996-2010) from the Early 4L60-E (1992-1997) or 4L60 (1990-1992) or 700R4 (1982-1989) is the six-bolt "hex" rear output or tailhousing / adapter pattern. The previous versions featured a four-bolt square bolt pattern at the adapter or tailhousing. Additionally, the removeable bellhousing is also another distinguishing feature.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/4l60e.htm
Pretty much everything you'd want to know about the 4l60e

#5 ·
Yes, I would look for a trans near your same year but any 4l60e from 96 and up till about 2004 should work , like the other post said if you are keeping your same transfer case just double check your replacement trans has the same bolt pattern as the transfer case. 95 trans and below had four bolt pattern and 96 up has 6 bolt pattern...side note, if your are going to look for a newer trans, the ones with a 12 o'clock bolt hole in the bell housing came out of a V8 and won't work. The bell housing is longer and the front output shaft is longer.

#9 ·
Didn't even notice that it was a sticky and I'm kind of surprised. Makes me wonder if it was a accidental sticky? Filling the sticky quota? :)

Guess that's what happens when I visit 'active topics' instead of going through the categories.

#14 ·
chevymaher said:
AstroWill said:
The question I have is, why is this a sticky?
I don't know someone didn't wash their hands after looking at Penthouse?
:rofl:

#15 ·
chevymaher said:
AstroWill said:
The question I have is, why is this a sticky?
I don't know someone didn't wash their hands after looking at Penthouse?
If I had to guess, it was the info on telling the differences of the 4l60e thru the years (4 bolt, 6 bolt).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.