Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Where's the transfer case drain plug located on a 2003

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  thegreenmachine 
#1 ·
I'm going to be changing my transfer case fluid at my boss's garage over the weekend. What's the proper procedure, and where is the drain plug located? Thanks in advance... Any helpful hints are greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Back of the transfer case. You will see two plugs, both of which take a 3/8" extension.

Open the fill plug first to ensure you can. Open the drain plug second, with a catch pan handy. You do NOT want AutoTrak II in your hair...the bf's cousin said it took over a week to get the smell out.

Once empty, put the drain plug back in with a little teflon or plumber's goop on the threads. You will need 2 qts of Autotrak II; you will use most, but not all.

Take one of the little pointy squirty ends and cut it off so a decent amount will flow. Jam a piece of clear tubing over said pointy end. Put the other end of the tubing into the fill hole and upend the bottle.

Or get a fluid pump thing at the store.

When it starts to run out of the hole, replace the fill plug.

#3 ·
First off had it ever been changed?

Use auto Trac II only. It takes almost 2 litres.(Quarts) If it hasn't been done in a while buy 4 bottles do some figure 8's in a parking lot. And drive for 100 km then drain and refill.

The drain is located on the rear off the tcase

Think it's 15mm or 18mm. Probably 18mm

Fill is in the middle.
Think it's a 15mm. But agin probably 18mm can't remember right now it's been a year since i did it.

I suggest doing it twice.

Make sure you're on level ground.

Make sure the filler bolt comes out before you drain it.

Fill with auto Trac II until it starts to flow out the filler.

Cap it off. Good to go.

#5 ·
If you have binding, buy 4 qts as greenmachine said. Run it 100 miles, then change it again.

And oops on the plugs...was thinking of my Bravada's case.

#7 ·
Changed the fluid Thursday night after work... after 10 miles of driving the binding was almost completely gone... drove it to work and back and did some running around... a little over 100 miles, just did second change... the original oil was black... no metal flakes... the oil we drained this morning was slightly dirty... seems to have fixed the problem... Thanks again for the info! This forum is the best!

#8 ·
Glad to hear it worked out for you.

We have good people here. A rare breed of people that like to help, not argue, and tell you you're dumb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.