Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Convert awd to rwd?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  redfury 
#1 ·
Can i pull off my transfer case on my 94awd and just run a driveshaft for a rwd. That would work right? Maybe need a cpu from a rwd because of speed sensor on transfer because of my digital dash. Is this an easy day job or is it more work then i think?

#3 ·
chevymaher said:
You need a RWD transmission. And the front differential must stay unless you do custom axle cutting. Front axles are needed to preload the bearings. Basically you need to get a RWD van to get the parts you need. By that time it easier just to fix it up.
Aren't the AWD sub-frames different? Even with a RWD transmission or adding a new end cone on the current, wouldn't the crossmember be in a different place? Rear drive line size have to be changed? Or on a 94 are the frames the same?

#4 ·
No the frames are different. I believe the trans mount in the same place. Trans is just a different length. I got a 4WD/AWD trans and a extra 2WD downstairs. Measuring them up for parts swaps in the future. Never ending collecting of van parts for future use. Keep the overhead down. LOL

#5 ·
Yaycandy,

I have seen a previous post you have of this. I am not sure if the work and cost of a changed transmission is worth the couple of MPG. You will still have the heavy/gear front end of an AWD. I think, by the time and cost of making the AWD a 2WD, you would be better off buying a 2WD and selling the AWD.

#6 ·
You'd be better off converting to 4WD so you can disable the front axle from being driven by the engine. The best way to do that though would be to get the vacuum over cable front axle disconnect to truly have 2wd operation. My set up only disengages the drive to the front axle, but the front axle never disengages from the driveshaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.