Transmission shifts slow in reverse

Transmission shifts slow in reverse

Postby 93pressurewasher [OP] » August 3rd 2009, 12:48am

Hey everybody i got a ??? when i put my van in reverese it takes a while for the transmission to kick in but when i put it in drive its great, I check my fluid on my stick while it was running in park then i check it in neutral and it read good on the stick, in or a little bit over the checkered lines, but my transmission fluid has been dripping on the ground from i think that little hole in the tail housing and i have to plug that up, but its funny cause its not showing on the stick that i have been losing fluid. what do you guys think it is, could it just be my fluid is low???
Original Poster [OP]
93pressurewasher
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: 93pressurewasher has been a member for 5 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 5 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 5 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 5 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA): AstroVanRider
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3V6 Non Vortec

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Transmission shifts slow in reverse

Postby 'cudapaul » August 3rd 2009, 12:51am

Well, if you checked the oil level with the dipstick in park and it is within the proper hot and cold marks, then I don't think the oil level is too low.

Sounds more like an internal problem in the trans.
'cudapaul
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA): 'cudapaul
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby $uperJoe » August 3rd 2009, 12:57am

sounds as if the band in the trans for reverse needs to be tightened. how many miles and how long has it been doing this. usually reverse is first to go before a rebuild
Don't explain it poorly 5 times. Take the 15 seconds to go out and take a picture of it!!
Please do not confuse idle conversation with technical advise

Check out my Van build
$uperJoe
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: $uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 59
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby 'cudapaul » August 3rd 2009, 1:16am

Well, if you checked the oil level with the dipstick in park and it is within the proper hot and cold marks, then I don't think the oil level is too low.

Sounds more like an internal problem in the trans.
'cudapaul
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: 'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA): 'cudapaul
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby lockdoc » August 3rd 2009, 1:20am

Unless this is a new problem for you it is normal. There is a checkball in the valve body that causes a delay into reverse. When I have rebuilt a few of these trannies I removed the checkball for a quicker engagement of reverse.
lockdoc
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: lockdoc has been a member for 5 full yearslockdoc has been a member for 5 full yearslockdoc has been a member for 5 full yearslockdoc has been a member for 5 full yearslockdoc has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): lockdoc

Postby 93pressurewasher [OP] » August 5th 2009, 1:07am

The transmission has about 70,000 i took it from a s10 pick up, i notice a leak around my output seal i thought the seal was broke so i took the drive shaft out last night and replace the seal then i notice the fluid was very high on the stick, it was two qts too full i couldnt believe it. so i drop the pan a little and let the fluid leak out cause i couldnt find a drain plug and i dont know if it has one on these transmissions but anyway there is still a little dripping around the tail housing seal. One thing is that my van sits a little lower in the rear than the front because theres a 1500 pound load back there so im thinking the fluid is just shifting out cause of that, but back to the problem of my reverse kicking in slow i think its going out i dont know i have to tap on the gas kinda hard to make it back up.And one more thing i notice that the transmission fluid was dirty red blackish color. what do you guys think i should try next.
Original Poster [OP]
93pressurewasher
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: 93pressurewasher has been a member for 5 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 5 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 5 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 5 full years93pressurewasher has been a member for 5 full years

Postby $uperJoe » August 5th 2009, 1:12am

next i would save my money for a trans rebuild. drive it easy till it goes and then pull it for the shop to give it the once over
Don't explain it poorly 5 times. Take the 15 seconds to go out and take a picture of it!!

Check out my Van build
$uperJoe
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Years of Membership: $uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years

Postby 93pressurewasher [OP] » August 5th 2009, 2:56pm

Ok. i look under there this morning and no fluid on the ground, Also i saw on another topic that if your filter comes out of place and isn't in correct or it the wrong filter it could cause your trans to act like this. And i did replace my trans with one from a s10 and i think we swap the filter from my old trans cause it was new. I guess i should drop my pan and check out that filter. Oh and i forgot to tell you my rear end is going bad sometimes i come to a stop at the light and when i pull off it kinda locks up, but it pops loose and goes forward. i have to get that rear end fix next, but do you think that rear end problem is making the reverse act up??
Original Poster [OP]
93pressurewasher
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby Leeann_93 » August 5th 2009, 3:59pm

Sounds more like one or both of your rear brakes are sticking.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 22
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby 93pressurewasher [OP] » August 5th 2009, 4:09pm

What causes your rear brakes to stick i know i change the rear brakes and drums but i dont remember if it was doing it before i change them. I never change the brake fluid it looks kinda dirty. Its like i can be at the light and take my foot off the brake and it doesnt move then i tap the gas and it pops back there like something is getting stuck up.
Original Poster [OP]
93pressurewasher
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby $uperJoe » August 5th 2009, 6:35pm

sticking like that is common when the pinion is loose. it gets too far into the ring and a lil under it. then with some torque it climbs out of the "hole" its in and is free. could also be the brakes sticking as leeann_93 stated

Check out my Van build
$uperJoe
Section Moderator
Section Moderator