Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Pro and cons on changing to a 2500 stall converter

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  97cargocrawler 
#1 ·
Well I now have taken my transmission out to replace the rear seal and the flex plate. I know that the 2500 will give me a quicker launch but what are the cons to this kind of change. I also planning on changing to a limited slip. What types should I consider and what types should I be looking for if I go the auto wrecker route? I have been told that the S 10 Blazer uses the 2500 is this correct? My van is a 1999 LS with the 4L60E transmission.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
a stall converter will be horrible on the road traveling its primarily used for drag racing. It will also build up a lot of heat in the trans. I would have to agree on the type of transmission it has a lock up converter which is computer controlled for mileage. If your running a stock V6 you are wasting your money either way. As for the rear axle you will want a limited slip and even the stock GM kind is fine for regular driving with a stock drivetrain. best bet is to call summit racing and get there advice on that. Mark

#4 ·
I am planning on doing just what your talking about. Trans shop is right it is electronically controlled. The torque converter lock up is electronically controlled. Shifting is controlled by the speed your doing so nothing changed there.
So in a nutshell it will stay at 2500 or better accelerating untill after 45 MPH then the torque converter locks up and it is exactly like it was from then on with the stock converter.
So better acceleration and same gas mileage win win situation.
Not hard on the trans. Fluid don't get hot. It isn't slipping in lockup, and your only speeding up what a minute if your grandma ing.

#6 ·
I put an 1800-2000rpm stall converter in mine because of the huge tires and weight. You can put whatever stall you want in there depending on what you're doing with the van (towing, racing, etc). The guys at the trans shop must not be into customizing. They probably all drive a Prius.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.