Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

B&M electronic shift improver?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dhanson928 
#1 ·
Has anyone any feedback on one of these devices, as used in a Safari AWD '97 model? I dislike the way my 'new' transmission behaves...it seems to want what the ads say this kit will do. An acquaintance from another E-List said he installed one and likes it... I am not used to automatic transmissions, never had one before and I rarely drive them..This one seems to shift a lot, hold speed when I want to slow down and just behave sloppily, though it was recently rebuilt and it has fresh fluid and filter since I got it. I think it's working properly, it just kinda sucks compared to a manual and if I can make it a little better for $40 and shipping, I'd be so inclined... Link to one source below .

http://www.jegs.com/p/B-M/B-M-ShiftPlus ... 4/10002/-1

Thanks, Don Hanson

#4 ·
I have used one for several years. First in my S-10 then for my Astro. They do firm up the shifts. You have OE shift which is normally mushy, then a towing shift, slightly firmer, and finally performance, which hits the gears hard. If you have a modification to the valve body already it just ramps the shifts up from that. My only precaution is to ONLY hit the switch button when stopped. I moved the switch while backing up my S-10 and immediately heard a heavy clunk. Reverse was gone from that point on. I haven't paid any attention to the torque converter lock up on the higher settings. I do enjoy it. It's fun to blast past the smart a-- es that think they can cut off what they think is a mom van.

#5 ·
WoodButcher said:
I didn't get the ad so it may be your browser, I do get one ad in the related topics section that is from astrosafari but that's it.
There are 5 topics listed and it seems 4 of them seem like they might have info for you.
I tried the site Search function with the title above and got no returns. I am new here and maybe I don't quite "get it" yet, but thank you for the reference...the one guy says he likes his, too...and that it does help...so I think I'll try it...Forty bucks is not a lot...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.