Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

aux trans cooler and fluid capacity

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  astroturf 
#1 ·
i was wondering if its okay to just run straight aux trans cooler and not going to the rad cooler?

also i lost all fluid when the return cooler line burst, i only pour about 4quarts and it runs again. im wondering if i lost all fluid and gear wont engage, does this mean it was all dry and needs about 11quarts? does the TC also loose fluid when the cooler line burst? i know i know about the dipstick level, but we all know it doesnt show right away the correct level after just pouring atf in it.

thanks

#3 ·
ok thanks, yeah i wasn't planning to flush the fluid yet but oh well LOL

#4 ·
bonjoey said:
its okay to just run straight aux trans cooler and not going to the rad cooler?
Yes. Size of the cooler is important.
bonjoey said:
im wondering if i lost all fluid and gear wont engage, does this mean it was all dry and needs about 11quarts?
Like sufferee said, just add the fluid and check the dipstick often. Once it shows on the stick, shift through the gears while sitting and put it back in park. Check dipstick again. Add more fluid if necessary. Short test drive. Check again. Next day, check it again.

#5 ·
Astroplane said:
bonjoey said:
its okay to just run straight aux trans cooler and not going to the rad cooler?
Yes. Size of the cooler is important.
bonjoey said:
im wondering if i lost all fluid and gear wont engage, does this mean it was all dry and needs about 11quarts?
Like sufferee said, just add the fluid and check the dipstick often. Once it shows on the stick, shift through the gears while sitting and put it back in park. Check dipstick again. Add more fluid if necessary. Short test drive. Check again. Next day, check it again.
:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.