Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

4L60E 3rd gear problem?

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jeff's93astro 
#1 ·
my 4l60E has had the fluid and filter changed when i first bought the van had just a little grey sludge on magnet no shavings and shifted great but now weather its warm or cold the trans takes R almost instantly but D takes about 2-3 seconds to grab. but it shifts fine except for about 70% of the time when it shifts into 3rd it feels like it goes from second to neutral then to 3rd in about a second its quick about it but i can feel it and also hear the slight rev through the exhaust. also TC lockup doesnt feel as firm as either 700R4's i've had. i'm not sure if its the original tranny are not but the van has 229,000miles and the motor is out of a 89 astro. Easy fix or time for new tranny

#3 ·
i got to driveing it again today and this time at certain throttle positions it would shift normal sometimes light throttle sometimes heavy but not everytime i'm expecting it to be a rebuild but is it possible it could be tps or as bad as i hate to is there a snake oil/treatment that could help it last a little longer or just drive it till it goes out

#4 ·
if it was the TPS.. I think It wont take long before it engages when you put it to D, neither go into neutral before upshifting.... I think your tranny is slipping... try the Lucas thing see if it fixes it.. if not I think it is going to be a Remove and Rebuild previously mentionned.

#5 ·
just for curosity i changed out the computer with the one that came out of my other 93 i had and it didn't do the slip thing in 3rd. and i agree with astro355 about the computers rarely going bad. and if my original is bad something had to cause it :confused:

#6 ·
jeff's93astro said:
just for curosity i changed out the computer with the one that came out of my other 93 i had and it didn't do the slip thing in 3rd. and i agree with astro355 about the computers rarely going bad. and if my original is bad something had to cause it :confused:
What are the serial numbers of the two computers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.