Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Polyurethane Trans Mounts

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Astrofarian 
#1 ·
Here are some pics of the modified trans mount on my '95 with a T5 5-speed, on which I used this Energy Suspension ES 9.4102G bushing set:

While the ES bushings are close in diameter compared to the two factory biscuit style bushings, they are not a straight swap-- you will need to make some changes to get them to fit your M-van. I chose to create a new trans crossmember center section, while still using a few inches of the stock crossmember's ends, since this also allowed me to eliminate the third, center trans mount. I measured often and did a lot of cutting, grinding, and test fitting before I was able to apply my first tack weld. I won't claim it's the most beautiful looking mount ever created, but the trans is now properly aligned and more securely mounted, and that was the goal. The center section was made from a section of steel channel, with two pieces welded to form an offset, flattened "[]" shape. Nothing fancy, but very rigid.

On with the pics...

Underside view, looking up/back:

The smaller diameter "stepped" section of the bushings, which passes through the cross member was about 3/32" too small compared to the holes in the crossmembers, so ideally I should've welded in a thin spacer ring to make up that difference. I chose not to, and with everything bolted up and the bushing slightly compressed, I can't see any room for movement when the crossmember is pried to test them.

Close up of the bushings:

Close-up of the crossmember-to-trans mount. The flat spot on the bottom of the tailhousing is where the third, center mount was previously located:

I added two longer crossmember-to-tailhousing bolts, as well as two larger diameter (12mm?) bolts through the outer two bushings and sleeves, even though the Energy Suspension provided bolts were pretty beefy right out of the box. The bolts and nuts I had have flanged heads, so I prefer to use them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Doesn't look like you need to apologize for how it looks; welds look like they penetrated well, everything is now lined up, AND your van is now running the last trans mount it will ever need...unless, of course, another trans swap is in the cards for you! If it isn't a show car, function trumps aesthetics. I say good on you! Nice job!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.