mechanical to VSS

mechanical to VSS

Postby Intenseman [OP] » September 22nd 2016, 4:08am

Hello. I'm working on a T5 swap. I believe I have an '88 Astro specific T5. It has the cable driven speedo. I need to upgrade to VSS. I did a similar thing on my '77 IH Scout to run a digital speedo. I saw a bunch of options on jagsthatrun.com. However, they are recommending the 40 tooth differential mounted reluctor ring. I'd much rather prefer use something that goes in the hole that drives the cable speedo. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael
'95 GMC Safari 2wd
Original Poster [OP]
Intenseman
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Intenseman has been a member for 9 full yearsIntenseman has been a member for 9 full yearsIntenseman has been a member for 9 full yearsIntenseman has been a member for 9 full yearsIntenseman has been a member for 9 full yearsIntenseman has been a member for 9 full yearsIntenseman has been a member for 9 full yearsIntenseman has been a member for 9 full yearsIntenseman has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 15

Re: mechanical to VSS

Postby AstroWill » January 1st 2017, 7:53am

Swap the tailshaft to one that uses a VSS?
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 67
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

Postby chevymaher » January 1st 2017, 4:44pm

There is something on the output shaft. A magnet that needs to go on the part that stays with the trans. Needs to look into that. It is pressed on.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 84
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby IronDookie » January 10th 2017, 4:27am

Possibly the easiest way (other than finding an 89 astro T5 tailhouse)
Is to modify a rear shift Camaro vss tailhouse into a mid (Astro) shift. This is done by cutting away a section of the Camaro tailhouse and installing an aluminum box that will align with the stock Astro shifter position. The Camaro rear detents in the rear tailshift box are retained, but the mod in essence, uses the the new (mid) shift box for purpose of grabbing hold of the shift rails....I know old truck guys do this mod to put the shifter in front of the bench style seats when they can't find the now rare (and expensive) S-10 cable driven (front Shift) tailhouses. they do it to use cable speedo, you'd do it to use VSS T5. Same procedure but in reverse.
IronDookie
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Year: 1985
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 151 T4 RWD