seen today in pnp yard 4cyl/5speed

seen today in pnp yard 4cyl/5speed

Postby markmitch [OP] » November 26th 2016, 4:44am

Today I went to pick n pull and after I got my parts I walked around a bit to look at other astro/safari's and came upon a 1987 Astro with all original 4 cylinder/5 speed trans combo. If anyone is close enough to stockton Ca its there now for the pickin. I would offer to get the parts but its the end of the month and I do not get paid again till the first. I looked into the set up for the clutch pedal and it appears to have sheet metal parts welded into the inside of the firewall to hold the pedal assembly so bring your battery operated sawzall.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 422
Alias (AKA): Mitch
Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS 350 TBI

Re: seen today in pnp yard 4cyl/5speed

Postby srdragonusa » November 26th 2016, 5:38pm

Nice find. I've been to Stockton it's a haul for me. Good luck to those that want it.
P@ul AKA SR Dragon
2003 AWD Astro
1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2012 Nissan Xterra Pro4X (wife's)
srdragonusa
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA): Paul
Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD

Postby sixsix » November 26th 2016, 10:19pm

Wasn't the Manual trans offered in the Astro originally a 4 speed ?
Sounds like the 5 speed was "jury-welded" in later in life.

Mike
The Van's Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=59385

There are 3 types of people in this world - First, the type that can count
and Second, the type that can't.

sixsix
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 2 full yearssixsix has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W-CPI Motor 200K

Postby AstroWill » November 26th 2016, 11:54pm

The 5-speed manual was always available, through 89, but a 4 speed manual was available for the first couple/few years. All that I have seen are the 5 speed, so not sure on production numbers for the 4 speed manual.
AstroWill
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 47
Alias (AKA): Will, Devil's Advocate
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

Postby markmitch [OP] » November 27th 2016, 5:41am

I guess its possible for it to be a 4 speed I just assumed it to be a 5 speed because I never seen a 4 speed in an Astro. I just posted it cause many folks in this club looking for the parts to swap to a standard trans. Today it rained all day but tomorrow will be sunny in the 60's so its 50% off this weekend if anyone is close by its possibly one of the last of these standard trans equipped Astro/Safari vans left to get the clutch pedal assembly from.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full years

Postby IronDookie » January 11th 2017, 12:10am

sixsix wrote:Wasn't the Manual trans offered in the Astro originally a 4 speed ?
Sounds like the 5 speed was "jury-welded" in later in life.

Mike

As discussed in my other thread, I have a 4cyl 4spd and the guy I bought if from showed it to some GM rep that worked on the M van project and knew the production numbers (or rather guesstimated off the top of his head) that there were very few 4cyl 5 speeds ordered, 200 or so. It would be interesting to confirm this.

The only reason I could think of for such low numbers is that the option was unnecessary compared to the adequate "standard" 4 speed and buyers looking for a 4cyl and manual trans were cheap skates... I.e. business fleets that were ordering multiple units.

(Don't quote me on that number because I don't now if it was for 1985 only, or the whole first gen production run.)
IronDookie
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Year: 1985
Extra Info: 151 T4 RWD

Postby markmitch [OP] » January 11th 2017, 12:58am

They stopped after 89/90 putting any standard transmissions The year they stopped I am not sure of but the only other one I seen was at a car show in Maine and I believe it was an 89. The owner used it to drive to car shows in the New England areas. He said it was great on gas and fun to drive. But his was a 4.3 with standard and I do not know if it was a 4 or 5 speed.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby IronDookie » January 11th 2017, 2:45am

markmitch wrote: his was a 4.3 with standard and I do not know if it was a 4 or 5 speed.

I can almost guarantee it was a 5 speed with the VSS tailhouse (which was only available for 1989). There was also a very rare manual transmission digital dash.

BTW I'm not referring to all T5 Astro's.... just the 4 cylinder T5's. There was no doubt, many more v6's produced with the 5 speed
IronDookie
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Year: 1985
Extra Info: 151 T4 RWD