New Astro owner, 4 speed manual ?

New Astro owner, 4 speed manual ?

Postby IronDookie [OP] » January 10th 2017, 4:53am

So I picked up an Astro I've always wanted to add to the collection.
1st year model 1985 with a four speed T4 transmission...The driving experience is very different from the normal v6 AT Astros.
I was wondering if anyone knows the true production numbers of factory manual trans Astros? I was told by the PO that the numbers were very low for 1985 (around 200 for the 4cyl T5 and about 1000 for the 4cyl T4, these numbers he heard from a GM rep).

These early Astros are very low powered but they are actually quite torquey for being 92HP, 1st gear(4.03:1?) is very tall with 3.42 rearend....He told me he got close to 30mpg highway and I almost believe him considering the gearing. You wouldn't want to shift past third gear until you hit some open road, 1:1 4th seems taller than OD on my old Audi.

Anyone have any more info or experience with these?
Original Poster [OP]
IronDookie
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Year: 1985
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 151 T4 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Can any 4L60E swap fit my 2003 Astro LT?
    by weather » January 27th 2017, 3:39pm in Manual
    1 Replies
    Last post by chevymaher View the latest post
    January 27th 2017, 10:05pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 23rd 2017, 9:42pm

Re: New Astro owner, 4 speed manual ?

Postby WoodButcher » January 10th 2017, 1:39pm

I don't know the HP rating for the Audi but I do know it wasn't a 4,000 lb. brick. It doesn't surprise me that a 4 cyl. has difficulties on the highway in our vans.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 28
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD

Postby AstroWill » January 10th 2017, 3:09pm

No way would I be able to live with that engine in an Astro.

Compnine.com had lots of production comparisons when you put in your VIN.
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 55
Alias (AKA): Richard C., Advocatus Diaboli
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

Postby markmitch » January 10th 2017, 4:40pm

I seen one of them recently in a pick n pull. I wrote about it on this site. it was the second one I had seen in approximately 20 years. Now since its not a Camaro or moostang so it may not go up in value due to there not being many of them produced or left out there in the world. However from a club/forum point of view I for one think they are very cool and I would have jumped at the chance to grab the hard to find parts from the pick n pull van but I neither had the time, the money or the storage space to do so. I wish you luck on yours Great find! Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L4)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L4)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 430
Alias (AKA): Mitch
Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS 350 TBI

Postby IronDookie [OP] » January 10th 2017, 10:52pm

WoodButcher wrote:I don't know the HP rating for the Audi but I do know it wasn't a 4,000 lb. brick. It doesn't surprise me that a 4 cyl. has difficulties on the highway in our vans.

It actually doesn't have difficulty reaching hwy speed, the thing is geared to go 40mph in 1st gear, I think city driving may be the problem..Now I don't have enough experience with it to know it's true capabilities yet, I've never had it loaded, nor pulled a trailer (not recommended).
My Audi had 2,2L 115hp 4:11 final drive, so with a .86 OD = 3:53 overall reduction in 5th. The 85 4 speed Astro which I believe to have the standard 3:43 final drive, would have a 3:43 overall reduction in 4th (plus taller tires than the Audi)
Original Poster [OP]
IronDookie
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby IronDookie [OP] » January 10th 2017, 11:07pm

AstroWill wrote:No way would I be able to live with that engine in an Astro.

Compnine.com had lots of production comparisons when you put in your VIN.

You wouldn't want a 25-30mpg Astro van with a Fiero drivetrain? why not? It's not as bad as you think, (once you adjust your state of mind). It has way more torque than my buddy's VW bus, but a passenger van it is not. This was a fleet service vehicle that sold for $8K brand spankin, it was designed to be an unappealing driver experience.
Thanks for the link.
Last edited by IronDookie on January 10th 2017, 11:28pm, edited 2 times in total.
Original Poster [OP]
IronDookie
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby IronDookie [OP] » January 10th 2017, 11:25pm

markmitch wrote:I seen one of them recently in a pick n pull. I wrote about it on this site. it was the second one I had seen in approximately 20 years. Now since its not a Camaro or moostang so it may not go up in value due to there not being many of them produced or left out there in the world. However from a club/forum point of view I for one think they are very cool and I would have jumped at the chance to grab the hard to find parts from the pick n pull van but I neither had the time, the money or the storage space to do so. I wish you luck on yours Great find! Mark

But was it an 85' ? I've seen a few of 86-89 5 speeds...and a few years back I was lucky enough to buy a complete 1989 t5 swap for spares(that is still crated in the garage), but I'd never seen an 85' 4 speed. I'd like to find out just how many came like this. I have a feeling it should be preserved regardless of potential value, I can't imagine there are many left that haven't been monkeyed with. It has rocker rust so those will need replace, but it has 50K original miles and the original ZP2 interior.
Original Poster [OP]
IronDookie
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby AstroWill » January 11th 2017, 3:08am

Put in the VIN at compnine.com
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years

Postby IronDookie [OP] » January 11th 2017, 3:30am

AstroWill wrote:Put in the VIN at compnine.com

It's too rare, they don't recognize the VIN
Original Poster [OP]
IronDookie
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby AstroWill » January 11th 2017, 3:56am

Dealer should be able to hook you up as well. Would be nice if they would just put that kind of stuff on their website somewhere.

Or maybe http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/options.html
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader