oem 5speed astro/safaris?

oem 5speed astro/safaris?

Postby gmcvanman [OP] » December 3rd 2012, 9:33pm

i saw this in a ad in the classifieds though i don't have means to buy one id love to own one, but im seeing more n more older vans with mans in them saw an ole econoline on a clint eastwood movie we own was a 3/4 or 1 ton van with a man, so my question is just how often were the vans of america made with mans?, astro/safari,furds, and did dodges ever have the man opt?, i know aerostar had that as an option or it was how you got the el strippo version , how popular were mans in vans? :think:
260k n counting, future LS3 mustang killer :-)
Original Poster [OP]
gmcvanman
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: gmcvanman has been a member for 4 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 4 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 4 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 48
Alias (AKA): safariowner vanman
Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: rwd 4.3l cargo van

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • seen today in pnp yard 4cyl/5speed
    by markmitch » November 26th 2016, 4:44am in Manual
    7 Replies
    Last post by IronDookie View the latest post
    January 11th 2017, 2:45am
  • New Astro owner, 4 speed manual ?
    by IronDookie » January 10th 2017, 4:53am in Manual
    9 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 11th 2017, 3:56am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 23rd 2017, 9:40pm

Re: oem 5speed astro/safaris?

Postby chevymaher » December 4th 2012, 12:03am

Older full sized cargo/work vans alot of them, I dare say near half of them. Had 3 on the tree in the 60's GM, Furd and Chrysler vans.
It was normal in the day.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 81
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby gmcvanman [OP] » December 4th 2012, 12:52am

chevymaher wrote:Older full sized cargo/work vans alot of them, I dare say near half of them. Had 3 on the tree in the 60's GM, Furd and Chrysler vans.
It was normal in the day.

wow thats cool, are they still hard fines
Original Poster [OP]
gmcvanman
Years of Membership: gmcvanman has been a member for 4 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 4 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 4 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 4 full years

Postby chevymaher » December 4th 2012, 1:17am

Not really hard to find if you just look. I had a 71 full sized chev with a 3 on the tree. Last van I owned for years till the Voyager and 6 months later the safari happened. Did I mention the Voyager was Otta There fast.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 81
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby gmcvanman [OP] » December 4th 2012, 2:12am

voyager have a heretitary tranny prob? :screaming:
Original Poster [OP]
gmcvanman

Postby tedanderson » December 4th 2012, 2:13am

3 on the tree (or even 4) has been a fantasy project of mine for just about every car that I've ever owned. I would want to do it just to freak people out. ;) But to add to what Maher said, vans with a manual trans in the 60's and 70's were very common as this was the case with MOST cars back then, hence one of the many reasons why women generally didn't drive cars.

The first time I saw 3 on the tree was in my uncle's '73 Econoline. At 6 years old, with my self-perceived infinite wisdom, I thought that sticks were always on the floor and automatics were on the column. So the first time I rode in his van, I thought to myself, "What the heck is he doing with the transmission?!" because he would snatch the handle and yank that thing up and down.. Man.. those were the days.
tedanderson
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan

Postby gmcvanman [OP] » December 4th 2012, 2:23am

i drov an ole 80 f 150 with a 6 cyl 3 on the tree it was definatly differant lol
Original Poster [OP]
gmcvanman

Postby icebrrg3rd » December 4th 2012, 3:38pm

My dad ordered a '81 Dodge full size cargo, slant 6 w/ 4-speed, and had it customized. I grew up riding in that van, and also learned to drive on it. Took me to a hilly sub-division to practice starts/stops w/o rolling backwards. All the other customized vans from that time (80's) that I saw were all autos, so my friends didn't believe me when I told them it was stick until I showed them. He also had a 2.2L 4-speed K-car too. Fun times, those 80's, eh? :poke:

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc, 67k mi
83 Yamaha Venture 1300cc, 91k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5.7L 5-speed, Ford 9", 250k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed, 181k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L, 128k mi
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 43
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Year: 1991
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby gmcvanman [OP] » December 6th 2012, 7:29pm

i heard and yes saw a 93 body styled caravan with a 5 spd i was shocked im like i dig that' id love a man car, id also love me an ole turbbo van
Original Poster [OP]
gmcvanman

Postby cowboydan » March 27th 2013, 6:59pm

i have only heard of an astro with a manual. the haynes manual reads that a 2.2 4 cylinder option was availible with an isuzu mans though i have never seen one of those either. but i know that the s10 has a 2.2 option and mans. knowing that all s10/sanoma/ s10 blazer. all employ the same frames, and power trains 2.2/ isuzu mans, 4.3 / 700r or 460le auto and 2 types of mans. this is where astro comes in and mixes george bodies with full sized 1/2 ton trucks but the astro has the uni body structure while the s10 remained a full framed unit. the conversions can be tricky but should be straight forward, easy swaps. even converting auto to mans is a reletively simple task, even fun some might say. this applies to george bods, s10, sanoma, jimmy, s10 blazer,( bravada, trail blazer only the 1st year of the name carry over, second gens have different fullsize body or were discontinued). if this makes sence, then then one might believe that a b,o,p george body car could be converted to 4,w,d,o,r,a,w,d,w,i,t,h,a,m,a,n,s. this may matter to only a few, but i'm not sure why the convert isn't alot more popular ??? is my new formula. because george had an econo engine, the 3,.8 and some with t and no mans and george has the same frame as s10, why was the 3,.8 not carried over? they sold to jeep the 3,.8 pat. at that point b,o,p was dropped for the conventional gm corperate bell pattern. so because george only offered 2 autos and no mans with b,o,p bell pats ( applies to 2,w,d,o,n,l,y and leaves 4,w,d, in the grey ), b,o,p makes mans converts far and few or none at all. but not all mans stopped for b,o,p. mans was put somewhere else not lost. j,e,e,p is the answer possibly to find a 1st gen jeep 3.8 and a mans with a matching b,o,p bell pat, full time 4,w,d,t,c,a,s,e. that may be easier to find than a even a 4,w,d blazer with a mans cause the 4,.3 and the 3,.8 and 3,8,0,0 do not share the same bell housing. the 3,.8 is b,o,p. 3,8,0,0 is 3,4,0,0 and 2,.8 and 4,3,0,0 is gm corprate. now i have my theory down correctly, i think i'll go shopping..... after all, it must be a jeep thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now if you understand any of this nonsence...... you might be a redneck. all this for a 1980 b,u,i,c,k, regal 3,.8 s/c,5,s,p,a,w,d that you will never see comming.
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 6 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 6 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 6 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 6 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 6 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): cbd
Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

Postby Casey » July 27th 2013, 7:26pm

If you're asking specifically about 5-speed manual trans equipped vans, only the full-size van which received them was the Dodge B-series in '87-'89 or so. To my knowledge neither the Chevy/GMC not Ford E-series vans ever had a 5-speed manual trans option.

The Astro/Safari had a 4-speed manual trans in '85, then the T-5 five-speed manual trans in '86-'89 (I think I got the year range correct) behind both the 4-cylinder and 4.3L V6 engines.

The Dodge B-series got the 4-speed O.D. manual trans in '75-1/2 through '86, when the 5-speed replaced it as an option. 3-speed column shifted manuals were not all that popular in the first gen ('71-'77) B-vans, and the 4-speed even less so. There were quite a few fleet vans which were 3-speed column equipped, as most of them were low- or no-option vans, so the 3-speed was standard and the 727 auto optional. By my rough estimates, only 14% of '75-1/2-'77 B-vans were equipped with the 4-speed O.D. manual trans, so when you figure in the previous years of '71-'75 production, that % drops even lower. No idea on what % were equipped with the 3-speed column shifter manual, but I bet it was close to 25%.

I saw one 5-speed manual equipped Dodge Caravan a decade ago on the street, but I would guess they are very uncommon. I think they were only available behind the 2.2L engine.
Casey
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Casey has been a member for 7 full yearsCasey has been a member for 7 full yearsCasey has been a member for 7 full yearsCasey has been a member for 7 full yearsCasey has been a member for 7 full yearsCasey has been a member for 7 full yearsCasey has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 24
Year: 1995
Extra Info: 4.3L LT 5-speed

Postby doyoulikeithere » July 27th 2013, 7:34pm

I love my T5 Astro !
:twisted:
doyoulikeithere
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: doyoulikeithere has been a member for 8 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 8 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 8 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 8 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 8 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 8 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 8 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 26

Postby markmitch » December 10th 2013, 3:54pm

just curious here but did GM make the astro/safari with a 5 speed standard and All Wheel Drive ?
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L4)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 430
Alias (AKA): Mitch
Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS 350 TBI

Postby tedanderson » December 14th 2013, 2:49pm

If my history serves me correctly, I would have to say that AWD didn't come until the manual was no longer an option. AWD came in 1990 and I think 89 was the last year for the manual.
tedanderson
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan

Postby markmitch » December 14th 2013, 7:19pm

I am buying the pedals and such from one of the members here just to have them for a future project. I am quite sure that these parts will be come obsolete eventually and I want them in my parts colection.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 430
Alias (AKA): Mitch
Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS 350 TBI