Aftermarket floor mounted hydraulic clutch pedal

Aftermarket floor mounted hydraulic clutch pedal

Postby tinworm [OP] » June 19th 2013, 10:53pm

just wanted to post a few pics of my installation of some aftermarket JEGS stuff in pursuit of having a reliable 5-speed manual astro and getting around the total lack of a clutch pedal. After sourcing one, I struggled hanging a stock astro clutch pedal in a gen 1 (89) without the pivot provision, and ultimately scrapped that whole idea and went completely aftermarket. Weighing the two methods of getting a clutch pedal in, doing the floor mount was considerably easier than hanging a stock pedal.

Also want to say this was done on a subframe spaced lifted van, and some alterations would have to be made on a stock van as the master might be a bit close to the upper control arm.

I used JEGS model 950-340-1289 BRKE/CLTCH PEDAL FLOOR MT, and JEGS model 950-260-3374 M/CYL COMBINATION 3/4"
These items were 66 bucks for the master, and 62 for the pedal. They were separate bought at separate times, but I believe both are available in a kit together for a discount.

complete assembly, also worth mentioning that the master came with two size reservoir options, and parts to make it remote or direct mounted to the master. Its a nice kit
components-

Installation was fairly straight forward, I cut a hole and built a box to mount the pedal level, some pics-

hole cut-

test fit pedal position in sheetmetal box-

finished sheet metal box-

assembly including box-

installed-

the battery is also moved on this van, but the master would come out underneath and a little to the left-

So basically compared to the struggle of trying to build a long term pivot for a later gen 1 van without a pivot already, and trying to get it in the right position, this was a lot simpler for under 200 bucks
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tinworm has been a member for 6 full yearstinworm has been a member for 6 full yearstinworm has been a member for 6 full yearstinworm has been a member for 6 full yearstinworm has been a member for 6 full yearstinworm has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 59
Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: turbo diesel 5-speed

Re: Aftermarket floor mounted hydraulic clutch pedal

Postby Casey » July 11th 2013, 2:10am

Nice job in fabbing the mounting bracket. Where did you mount the remote reservoir?
Casey
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Casey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 24
Year: 1995
Extra Info: 4.3L LT 5-speed

Postby tinworm [OP] » July 11th 2013, 3:30pm

It turned out I didn't really need to remote mount, I just put the smaller of the two reservoirs on the master itself. Wouldn't work if you had a battery still in place though, or some of the evap stuff

The kit comes with a large and small reservoir and mounting stuff-

id probably mount the remote reservoir here if I still had the battery in place-

Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Years of Membership: tinworm has been a member for 6 full yearstinworm has been a member for 6 full yearstinworm has been a member for 6 full yearstinworm has been a member for 6 full yearstinworm has been a member for 6 full yearstinworm has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 59
Year: 1989
Extra Info: turbo diesel 5-speed

Postby Casey » July 27th 2013, 7:10pm

Ah, I see. That makes it easy.
Casey
Years of Membership: Casey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full years

Postby Big_kid » July 28th 2013, 6:07pm

Slick install!
95 Astro Conversion of unknown lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 140
Extra Info: 2WD conversion

Postby partinus99 » January 21st 2015, 11:58pm

Wonder how much different it would be for my 99 since my 4l60e overdrive is toast.
partinus99
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: partinus99 has been a member for 2 full yearspartinus99 has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): tater
Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby Zebediah III » January 22nd 2015, 3:20am

That would be good for people like me with big feet who always end up
hitting both pedals at the same time. That was my biggest problem with
my manual trans vans and I couldn't stand that. The pedals are so close
together from factory
Zebediah III
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Zebediah III has been a member for 6 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 6 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 6 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 6 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 6 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 6
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 383 Crate Motor

Postby Meterpig » January 22nd 2015, 9:00am

That install looks really trick. Nice work!
Meterpig
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 2 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 48
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Year: 2002
Extra Info: Not a minivan

Postby redfury » January 22nd 2015, 2:17pm

I like it!
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby icebrrg3rd » January 22nd 2015, 6:14pm

Zebediah III wrote:That would be good for people like me with big feet who always end up
hitting both pedals at the same time. That was my biggest problem with
my manual trans vans and I couldn't stand that. The pedals are so close
together from factory

Problem with the Astro is there isn't much footwell space, so even with his being floor mounted, it's still probably close to the brake pedal.

It is a very nice install, and a solution to there not being many manual vans out there to grab the actual pedal from.

partinus99 wrote:Wonder how much different it would be for my 99 since my 4l60e overdrive is toast.

The problem with newer vans is that the transmission is electronic, and removing the info it sends (because you'll be doing the shifting, not it) will cause errors to your car's computer. No, I do not know the specifics, sorry, but I'm sure that there will be some.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 67k mi
83 Yamaha Venture 1300cc 92k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5.0L 5-speed, Ford 9" 250k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 189k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 134k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 43
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby Casey » January 26th 2015, 3:38am

icebrrg3rd wrote:The problem with newer vans is that the transmission is electronic, and removing the info it sends (because you'll be doing the shifting, not it) will cause errors to your car's computer. No, I do not know the specifics, sorry, but I'm sure that there will be some.

-Andrew

Not sure how different it will be on a '99 since that's OBDII, but my OBDI '95 runs just fine with the trans harness unplugged. Yes, you'll get the 59 and higher SES codes since the PCM no receives any signals from the trans, but the engine is fully capable of standing alone and running when the trans harness is unplugged.
Casey

Postby icebrrg3rd » January 26th 2015, 6:34pm

Casey wrote:
icebrrg3rd wrote:The problem with newer vans is that the transmission is electronic, and removing the info it sends (because you'll be doing the shifting, not it) will cause errors to your car's computer. No, I do not know the specifics, sorry, but I'm sure that there will be some.

-Andrew

Not sure how different it will be on a '99 since that's OBDII, but my OBDI '95 runs just fine with the trans harness unplugged. Yes, you'll get the 59 and higher SES codes since the PCM no receives any signals from the trans, but the engine is fully capable of standing alone and running when the trans harness is unplugged.

Which if they have to pass an emission test will cause a fail. And OBD2 is more involved than OBD1, so there will probably be more fallout on on a '99. I never said it wouldn't work, but that there will be errors (read as SES codes). If he could find a similar vehicle (like a P/U) that has a manual and is similar in year, he might be able to swap out computers and maybe a few other sensors to get it reading/running right. There is always a way around, just might take a bit of experimenting and $$.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 67k mi
83 Yamaha Venture 1300cc 92k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5.0L 5-speed, Ford 9" 250k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 189k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 134k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 43
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby redfury » January 27th 2015, 5:58am

You could probably override the switch by simply throwing a toggle to show the computer that it's engaged in D or P. I think the bigger issue would be the VSS for drivability issues.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd