T-5 Manual 5-speed and Cruise Control from the Factory?

T-5 Manual 5-speed and Cruise Control from the Factory?

Postby Casey [OP] » November 17th 2009, 1:19am

Was it possible to order/have an Astro with cruise control and a T-5 5-speed manual trans? I'm looking at the Cruise Control section of an '88 FSM and see a vaccum release valve assembly (VRVA, located next to the brake light switch) shown for both auto and manual trans vans. :think:
Original Poster [OP]
Casey
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Casey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 24
Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L LT 5-speed

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: T-5 Manual 5-speed and Cruise Control from the Factory?

Postby Casey [OP] » November 17th 2009, 2:48pm

Ok, you could get cruise control with a manual trans, as shown in the '88 FSM. That's good. :dance:
Original Poster [OP]
Casey
Years of Membership: Casey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full years

Postby Casey [OP] » November 23rd 2009, 12:42am

Since you couldn't get a manual trans after '89, there's no electric CC disengage switch like the vacuum bleed switch as on the earlier vacuum-controlled cruise servos, so I guess I'll have to use both plugs the clutch safety switch on my '95- one for the ignition circuit and one to disengage the cruise control.

I will post how I got the clutch safety start switch from an '85 S-10 to work as soon as I get the needed factory-style connectors to plug into it. Unfortunately, the clutch safety start switch shaft I got from an '86 was broken, the part is NS1 from GM, and there's no aftermarket replacement. :evil: The S-10 switch is very similar, but is a push rather than a pull-type switch. I'd be interested to see what others have used when converting to a 5-speed from an auto. :think:
Original Poster [OP]
Casey

Postby Casey [OP] » May 17th 2014, 8:19pm

This post is long overdue for an update, so here are some pics of the changes I made when I swapped in the T5 5-speed, starting with the clutch safety start switch (CSSS from here on out). I used an 1GN Chevy/GMC S-series switch since they are very similar to what the M vans used, with the main difference (going on memory her, so correct me if I'm wrong) being the orientation of the bent tip on the plunger shaft, which passes through a hole in the clutch pedal arm. I can't recall if I mounted the switch body on the opposite side of the bracket or not (opposite from how the factory Astro's CSSS was mounted, but it all lined up properly, and the S-series switch has worked flawlessly for almost five years. It was also available from the local parts store (BWD brand, around $10 as I recall), whereas the M-van switch was long NS1, and the shaft tip on the original switch I found was very brittle and broke off when removing it from the donor van.

Image #1, looking at the CSSS from the right side. The steely blue-silver bracket is from an '87 donor van-- you will absolutely need this spot welded bracket for a 5-speed swap-- but you can see the mounting bolt and nut, on which the CSSS pivots:

Image #2, looking at the back of the CSSS, from which the shaft protrudes. You can see the small cotter pin which acts as the stop, as we;; as the few small washers I had to add to adjust for the different CSSS-to-clutch pedal arm distance between the S-series and M-vans. When the clutch pedal is depressed, the shaft slides froward, the cotter pin contacts the washers, and the larger diameter cylindrical section forward of the washers is pressed into the body of the CSSS, activating the switch inside:

Images #3 & #4, looking (almost) straight up at the bottom of the CSSS. You can see the 90* bent end of the CSSS's shaft and how it passes through a hole in the clutch pedal arm. The large, purple/white wires for the starting system are also visible:

I think the second terminal plug port is for the cruise control cancel switch on S-series trucks, but I never got that far to find out for sure.

Image #5, a close up view of where the cruise control cancel switch (I think) was located, to the right of the brake light switch:

Image #6, looking up at where the clutch master cylinder rod passes into the master cylinder/through the firewall. You can (kind of) see the lighter blue-grey color of the bracket (from the '87 donor) contrasted with the firewall's bright blue/primer grey color. The sheathed cable thing to the right is the park start cable IIRC, which is no longer used:

Image #7, another view of the same area, looking straight forward. You can see the color contrast between the bracket and firewall a little better in this image, as well as the bracket's mounting stud heads, and the two small bolts which connect the clutch pedal bracket to the main pedal bracket:

Image #8, a slightly blurry look at the end of the clutch pedal's cross shaft, with the black spring clip and (slightly slipped out of position) pivot shaft bushing:

Image #9, showing the parking brake switch, which must be engaged/set to allow the rear hatch to be opened. I think I added the tan/white wire to the existing light blue/white wire on the single terminal:

Original Poster [OP]
Casey