Polyurethane Trans Mounts

Polyurethane Trans Mounts

Postby Casey [OP] » May 17th 2014, 8:42pm

Here are some pics of the modified trans mount on my '95 with a T5 5-speed, on which I used this Energy Suspension ES 9.4102G bushing set:

While the ES bushings are close in diameter compared to the two factory biscuit style bushings, they are not a straight swap-- you will need to make some changes to get them to fit your M-van. I chose to create a new trans crossmember center section, while still using a few inches of the stock crossmember's ends, since this also allowed me to eliminate the third, center trans mount. I measured often and did a lot of cutting, grinding, and test fitting before I was able to apply my first tack weld. I won't claim it's the most beautiful looking mount ever created, but the trans is now properly aligned and more securely mounted, and that was the goal. The center section was made from a section of steel channel, with two pieces welded to form an offset, flattened "[]" shape. Nothing fancy, but very rigid.

On with the pics...

Underside view, looking up/back:

The smaller diameter "stepped" section of the bushings, which passes through the cross member was about 3/32" too small compared to the holes in the crossmembers, so ideally I should've welded in a thin spacer ring to make up that difference. I chose not to, and with everything bolted up and the bushing slightly compressed, I can't see any room for movement when the crossmember is pried to test them.

Close up of the bushings:

Close-up of the crossmember-to-trans mount. The flat spot on the bottom of the tailhousing is where the third, center mount was previously located:

I added two longer crossmember-to-tailhousing bolts, as well as two larger diameter (12mm?) bolts through the outer two bushings and sleeves, even though the Energy Suspension provided bolts were pretty beefy right out of the box. The bolts and nuts I had have flanged heads, so I prefer to use them.
Original Poster [OP]
Casey
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Casey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full yearsCasey has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 24
Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L LT 5-speed

Re: Polyurethane Trans Mounts

Postby Astrofarian » May 18th 2014, 3:20pm

Doesn't look like you need to apologize for how it looks; welds look like they penetrated well, everything is now lined up, AND your van is now running the last trans mount it will ever need...unless, of course, another trans swap is in the cards for you! If it isn't a show car, function trumps aesthetics. I say good on you! Nice job!
Cheer up....things could be worse! Look at me...I cheered up & SURE ENOUGH...things got worse! Bwahahahaha......ahem...sorry.....snicker
Astrofarian
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 3 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 3 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Year: 1991
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 700000 km plus

Return to Manual

It is currently June 28th 2017, 9:51am

Manual Forum
ManualGM Astro/Safari vans were produced with a 4-speed manual or a 5-speed manual transmission. Manual transmissions feature a driver-operated clutch and a movable gear stick which are commonly swapped with automatics in custom applications and transmission conversions.
Moderator: 1297chevastro
To create a new topic in Manual, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Recent Image Attachments
Attached by:
Attached by: icebrrg3rd
icebrrg3rd
in Manual
Views: 625
Comments: 8
Date: Jun 06 '16
Time: 8:18pm