Anyone Using the Energizer AGM Battery?

Anyone Using the Energizer AGM Battery?

Postby Don1806 [OP] » May 11th 2017, 10:18pm

It's almost battery time for the 99. Here in the desert, batteries only last a few years, and my current Interstate Megatron Plus is going on at least 5 years. Figured I would do a pre-emptive replacement instead of sitting in a parking lot in 120 degree heat with a dead battery one day.

The Megatron Plus has been a beast - completely dead at least three times (from not running the van while I was sick over a long period of time) and it always charged back to life. I have no problem buying another, but noticed that Sam's Club has the Energizer AGM for $129.00.

The reviews on the Energizer AGM are pretty good, and it appears they are now being made by JCI. (There is conflicting info online about he manufacturer, but as near as I can tell, the current manufacturer is definitely JCI for the current models in stores. )

More curious than anything what anyone's experience has been with these Energizer AGM batteries - not the the regular Energizers. If I go for a regular battery, it will be the Megatron Plus again.

At one time I had Optimas in both cars, but they lasted only a few months beyond warranty, and that was long before we had to deal with the desert climate. I won't buy Optimas again, and am on the fence about trying another AGM. The performance of the Optimas was great, it was just the overall life that I wasn't happy with for the price of the battery.
Last edited by Don1806 on May 12th 2017, 6:18pm, edited 2 times in total.
99 Astro LT - Orginal Owner.
New Engine at 140,000 miles due to intake gasket failure. Hoping to at least double that.
Original Poster [OP]
Don1806
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Don1806 has been a member for 7 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 7 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 7 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 7 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 7 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 7 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA): Don
Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD 170K

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Battery Cut Off
    by DRZ » December 29th 2016, 12:08am in Electrical
    7 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 31st 2016, 11:02pm
  • Battery tap thru firewall
    by WDMICKJR » January 24th 2017, 9:51pm in Electrical
    14 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    January 26th 2017, 5:56pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    June 28th 2017, 1:20am

Re: Anyone Using the Energizer AGM Battery?

Postby Leeann_93 » May 11th 2017, 10:34pm

Just remember this: Sam's Club and Walmart have manufacturers cheapen their products because they only want to pay xx dollars, not xxx.

I wouldn't. I'd go for another Interstate Megatron Plus.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 27
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby Corsemoto » May 11th 2017, 11:08pm

No experience with Energizer AGM but replaced Megatron with Diehard Platinum AGM (Odyssey) and also running a Bosch Platinum AGM (Exide Edge AGM, great warranty) in Subaru, both seem to tolerate heat well.

If you have a Pep Boys near you, the Bosch Platinum AGM may be a good deal with promo codes.

Maybe consider something like a Thermo-Tec reflective heat wrap barrier for you battery too and be sure to use a smart charger with an AGM specific charging profile if you are going to maintain that way.

Interstate is a re-seller as well since they don't manufacture any batteries either, though most of their auto batteries are JCI and same could be said about being manufactured to a price point.

Best bet is to compare specs, warranty, price, ease of replacement/locations, etc.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 9 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 9 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 9 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 9 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 9 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 9 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 9 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 9 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 36
Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Mmusicman » May 11th 2017, 11:19pm

My Sam's Club sells Duracell. They used to sell Energizer. How ironic! :mrgreen:
I've been running their batteries (both brands) in numerous vehicles for many years, with NO issues whatsoever!

Over the decades, I've run Sears Diehard batteries, as well as Interstates.. and have seen NO difference on longevity or reliability over any other quality brand. Sometimes you get a good one, and sometimes not. Personally, I haven't had the best luck with Interstates... but that's probably just me.

Most people with Sam's Club memberships "know" that they typically do not sell "cheaper" products, but rather give you a "better quality product" for the same typical target price. They typically throw in a little something extra. I have NO reservations on the quality of their product choices... including their batteries. I would expect that they have chosen a better quality battery for their customers. Sam's is also the best when it comes to customer service related issues.

Most batteries fail for any number of reasons. Comparing a battery that sees usage in the desert is not the same as comparing batteries used under normal conditions. Every brand, regardless, has a percentage of failures, and you'll have no shortage of people telling you about a battery that failed them. Pro-rating is often a factor in battery selection too. In fact, usually that's why you buy a 5 year vs 3 year... often times it's the SAME battery internally, or at least same quality. You're simply buying a little extended warranty insurance should the battery fail early.

I've never used AGM batteries (except in my motorcycle) ... and I'm not sure they are the right choice for harsh automotive conditions, or that they offer the same level of longevity and output performance. My 2000 came with an AGM that pre-maturely failed, so I'm not sold on them. Personally I avoid them and just go with what I know. I've always just bought the biggest battery that will fit the tray or application. Our batteries have to wiggle into a tight spot, so they are physically limited in size that will fit. When it comes to power output...typically 800-900 CCA should be about right... but the more the better.

Sam's Club does not sell the same battery as Walmart.
With Sam's, you WILL usually get MORE battery for your dollar!

That's been my experience.

Happy shopping!

PS: The latest battery I bought for my motorcycle came from Walmart, and has been the strongest and best battery I've had yet. Who knew!

20170511_174356a-Duracell.jpg

The battery I'm running in mine is a Size 78, 1020 CCA @ 32*
20170511_183510a.jpg
Last edited by Mmusicman on May 11th 2017, 11:40pm, edited 6 times in total.
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 4 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 4 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 4 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 4 full years
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 AWD 92 V8-350

Postby TurnNburnTurnNburn is online! » May 11th 2017, 11:21pm

My experience with AGM's in general is pretty poor. I have had a couple optimas in my race cars over the years and they don't seem to last. Maybe a year or 2... I even had one crap out after 6 months. But with that being said, my friend has one that is 11 years old and hasn't let him down yet.
2000 Astro- 7'' lift, NP233C 4x4 T-case, 31x10.5x15 A/T, ongoing camperization in progress
"If you wont drink a beer with me then we probably cant be friends"
Build thread- viewtopic.php?t=103066
TurnNburnTurnNburn is online!
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): My friends call me fluffy
Extra Info: 4x4 Overlander

Postby Mmusicman » May 12th 2017, 2:00am

So, out of my own curiosity... I took a little inventory tonight:

* Duracell (#78) in my 92 (pictured above)
* Duracell (#34) in my wife's car
* Duracell (#78) in my 2000 van
* Energizer (#24) in my 71 Cutlass (from 2006)

With the exception of the much older Energizer, they are all a minimum few years old.

The newest one of the bunch is in my 92. I accidentally left the dome light on a few times (back when I was doing the original V8 swap a few years back).. completely killing the previous battery. This left it weak, but I was able to get it replaced with a new replacement, completely free of charge!

All the Duracells are all 1020/850 cca, regardless of model.
The much older Energizer is only 625/500 cca.

ALL from Sam's Club... over the many years!
Here they all are together... (photos all taken tonight) :mrgreen:

My 92:
20170511_174356a-Duracell.jpg

My 2000 AWD:
20170511_201510a-AWD2000.jpg

My wife's car:
20170511_201343a-Passport99.jpg

My 71 Olds:
20170511_201613a-Olds71.jpg

Sorry... no AGM's.
The only one I ever ran didn't survive.
Last edited by Mmusicman on May 12th 2017, 2:20am, edited 4 times in total.
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 4 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 4 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 4 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 4 full years

Postby Corsemoto » May 12th 2017, 2:13am

Optima batteries have a pretty poor reputation for premature failure.

I personally prefer AGM batteries over standard lead acid batteries.

Mmusicman, your Duracell battery shows 850 CCA at 0° F
- cold cranking amps, 1020 is cranking amps at 32° F.

Since warmer climates don't require additional cold cranking amps, reserve capacity may be a better indicator of battery performance than cca.

My Diehard Platinum AGM is rated 135 min reserve capacity, 850 cca and weighs 53 lbs. The Megatron MTP-78 100 min reserve capacity, 800 cca and weighs 38 lbs.

Improper care/charging prior to use is the main culprit in bad or defective/shortened life span of batteries.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 9 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 9 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 9 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 9 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 9 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 9 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 9 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 9 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 9 full years

Postby dramey » May 12th 2017, 2:20am

Most AGM's that I have seen were deep cycle batteries and they will NOT give long life used as a starting battery. I have an AGM starting battery in my snowmobile. The other AGM I have is a deep cycle battery hooked to my solar cell 62 miles back into the mountains from my house.
dramey
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 8
Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby Mmusicman » May 12th 2017, 2:29am

The #78 Duracell Lead-Acid have 115 min reserve.
The #78 Duracell AGM's have 120 min reserve (not really enough difference to matter)... but with somewhat less CCA. But like some of us have discovered... AGM's don't seem to last... and possibly for good reason.

Your results may vary...

Cheers!

Edit: While that "Diehard Platinum" AGM "looks" like a pretty good battery... ironically they NO longer sell that particular model any more. The Diehard AGM's that they do sell appear to be considered "deep cycle" batteries, and come with a pretty hefty price-tag too. "Deep cycles" are not necessarily considered "best suited" for standard automotive use. I think the fast charging rates of the high-output automotive alternator hurts them. I've used Marine batteries in the past... with varying results.
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Corsemoto » May 12th 2017, 3:43am

I had read Sears was discontinuing or switching manufacturers for the Platinum AGM line so not sure what they've done, if anything since I haven't really paid any attention since I bought mine. I was stoked to get a nice re-branded Odyssey battery at a great price.

If you're talking about marine Diehard Platinum AGM, the Odyssey batteries they sold for both auto and marine had no internal differences, only top post configuration according to Odyssey.

Dramey, the Diehard Platinum AGM I mentioned is a starting battery, as are probably all the AGM batteries sold for specific auto applications. I don't think anyone was talking about a deep cycle battery for starting purposes.

Because AGM batteries can be deep discharged to a higher rate than standard lead acid batteries (see below), they can be considered dual purpose of sorts but I still wouldn't treat an AGM starting battery like I would a deep cycle battery.

AGM batteries have better vibration resistance, less susceptible to sulfation, lower self-discharge, a faster charge rate and can be deep discharged to around 80% vs 50% while still maintaining decent life cycle.

I've sold, prepped and maintained a few powersports batteries over the years and been an Interstate dealer. Their motorcycle AGM batteries were a good value being that they were high quality re-branded Yuasa AGM batteries at a lower price.

Like I mentioned, prep and initial charge are critical on any battery, taking shortcuts or improper prep and battery life is going to suffer.

Run what you want and what you feel comfortable or happy with, there really isn't a wrong answer. They're all gonna work for a while, hopefully.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby Don1806 [OP] » May 12th 2017, 5:52pm

Thanks for the replies. The 2 Optimas that died early on me were used in the Midwest, not the desert. I will most likely go with another Megatron Plus given the service that I've gotten out of them but wanted to explore the possibility of trying an AGM again.
New Engine at 140,000 miles due to intake gasket failure. Hoping to at least double that.
Original Poster [OP]
Don1806
Years of Membership: Don1806 has been a member for 7 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 7 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 7 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 7 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 7 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 7 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 7 full years

Postby dennis7815 » June 8th 2017, 12:49am

I used AGM on air traffic control systems and find they are great, but very expensive and need a good environment regarding temperature and must have the optimum float voltage and are not as durable as standard lead acid batteries you can buy commercially. I don't think they are worth the money for most general applications. I like them for air traffic control systems because they don't emit as much hydrogen gas and don't need water to be added. I most often see them used for Marine, but think that's overkill because most people fail to maintain their batteries and swapping out a cheaper battery more often gives most people better service in the long run. We used Optimas all the time in the instrument Landing systems (ILS) systems and other navigational aids I worked on at airports. Optimas were well justified for ILS because of the controlled environment and improved mean time between failure (MTBF) compared to lead acid batteries.
dennis7815
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Topics: 9
Year: 1994
Extra Info: LT EXT 2WD CMFI

Postby Corsemoto » June 8th 2017, 2:03am

I wouldn't say AGM batteries for auto use are expensive when compared with better branded standard lead acid batteries and with shopping around can find good value.

Use a smart charger with AGM specific charging profile once or twice a month as basic battery maintenance (since you don't have to bother checking acid levels or clean up acid/hydrogen mess) and you're good. You're most likely not going to sulfate one unless you completely abuse it unlike a standard neglected.

For me, there are no drawbacks to AGM in my vehicles and I especially prefer the "cleaner" underhood environment.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby Don1806 [OP] » June 9th 2017, 6:42pm

I wanted to go back to an AGM just because there was no mess from it in the engine compartment like the standard batteries. It seems like there is always some slight mess to clean up in the battery area with a regular battery.

Long story short, I opted for another Interstate Megatron - this time the MegaTron II, as it has a better survival rate in the desert over the Megatron Plus, which according to the Interstate guys lasts longer in cold climates.

I got 5 years and 6 months out of the Megatron Plus, so am still pretty much sold on the Interstate Megatrons.
Original Poster [OP]
Don1806

Postby dennis7815 » June 18th 2017, 7:35pm

If you prefer AGM there is value in "doing it because I wanted to"! The money I have spend to restore my 1994 Astro Van to date can't be justified otherwise than "I wanted to" and being happy goes far beyond opting for the least expensive way. You asked about performance and here in South Florida people spend major money for marine AGM where buying standard lead acid and swapping them more often works just as well. My boat has very expensive electrical system and have to pull the stern drive and lift front of engine using bottle jacks so a bad battery can cause $2k in damage. In that case I opt for the cheap interstate and swap them out at the first hint of trouble to protect my boat electrical system. I loved using AGM in air traffic control systems because they were cleaner and maintenance free, but not as durable as the old lead acid type.
dennis7815
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Topics: 9
Year: 1994
Extra Info: LT EXT 2WD CMFI