Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

question on lights

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  justsomeguy 
#1 ·
i have a 2000 safari.should i not be able to turn off lights while engine is running? i cant,both settings leave lights on.this does not seem correct.any ideas?
thanx much
dan

#6 ·
dapperdan7 said:
so my lights should always be on during day? i dont know.this does not seem right.other safari/astros dont have lights on during daytime.perhaps a short or something its not running lights its the headlights
Your owners manual will describe proper operation of DRL , there is a section in the forum index that has the manuals if you do not have one

#10 ·
dapperdan7 said:
so my lights should always be on during day?
On all newer model GM vehicles, yes.

Daytime running lights are required in Canada, so GM just made them standard for all their vehicles.

It's safer to have headlights on all the time anyway. Statistical studies conducted years ago by AT&T found that vehicles with headlights on all the time had fewer accidents.

#12 ·
I have a Canadian spec 2005 Astro where the low beam headlights (and ONLY the low beam headlights, no other bulbs) come on for the Daytime Running Lights. I've only owned it for a week and a half, so I'm still getting used to it, but I believe that once the Daytime Running Lights come on, they will NOT go off, no matter what (unless you actually turn the ignition key back and shut off the van, then restart it). I believe that if it's still in Park (regardless of whether or not the parking brake is on or off), the DRL's will not come up until you shift out of Park. They the DRLs stay on for as long as you drive that day and shut off the van. Or if it gets dark enough and the full lighting system comes on with the dash lights, tail lights and side marker lights. I've noticed that the automatic lights (that come on when the sensor detects if it's dark outside) will come on even if the parking brake is set and/or the transmission is in park. I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.