Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

1995 astro van no clicks no start on turning key

16K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  DaveBWebb 
#1 ·
I just had a mobile mechanic replace the key cylinder in the column and $ 175.00 later the problem still exists,
no clicks no start on turning key. The whole problem started when someone try to steel the van and damaged the key cylinder
the mechanic suggested to replace the steering column. I thing the problem is in the key cylinder housing because when i turn the key there is noting for the cylinder to grab on, it feels like you turn the key in peanut butter.
I just cant afford another $ 300 to replace the steering column, can someone tell me my next step on figure out how to fix this problem and how to check the key cylinder housing.

#6 ·
The switch is cheap and easy to replace assuming you can reach the bolts. Take pictures before you remove the switch. I have had to replace my switch several times on my 1994 astro van I find one pair of contacts fail because they are underrated for the current demand which is bad design by general motors. I have had to pay $250 to have my steering column rebuilt by an expert shop that does steering column repairs for the entire south florida area. An auto salvage yard replacement is an option. I am finding all of the parts I need for my 1994 Astro Van now using web site www.row52.com which is very effective way to find parts for old vehicles. I hope my feedback is helpful to you.

#8 ·
I thing I found the problem, ignition switch actuator rod broken at top, that is why the key only works to unlock the steering wheel, all the others positions of the key are controlled by the rod, I also remember the radio was on after the key was out, the rod broke at the key on position that explains why my battery was dead the day after.
I thing am going after rig my own fix, I look to get replacement part with no luck.
Any suggestions before I ******* fix this problem will be appreciate

Attachments

#9 ·
Make sure you protect your wires from that sharp bent metal in the column, or you know, go to the junk yard and get another one. Takes a few minutes to replace the column.

#14 ·
:ty: Thanks to all the re players I will look for a steering column from the junk yard, in the meantime I need to get to work, I'm gone to after start the van manually by retracing the broken rod to start position.
The airbag light is now on after the guy remove to replace the key cylinder, is anything I should worried about it?
AstroWill said:
I would grab a steering column from the junk yard, they are not that expensive and not hard to replace.

#15 ·
hotpsca said:
:ty: Thanks to all the re players I will look for a steering column from the junk yard, in the meantime I need to get to work, I'm gone to after start the van manually by retracing the broken rod to start position.
The airbag light is now on after the guy remove to replace the key cylinder, is anything I should worried about it?
The wiring could be damaged, or it could be disconnected, but if the airbag light is on, it's not going to deploy in an accident.

#16 ·
My 95 is doing the same thing. But no one wanted to steal it.
Went to store and when I tried to start it no click no nutten. my dash volt meter reads about 8 volts just above red.
more info to ponder: for the past two weeks starting when warmed up cranking was slow (as low battery) but when cold in morning spins over like a new van. Also after work in afternoon. battery terminal voltage is at 12.9 and goes to 12.7 when key is turned to on and start. I found a red wire pinched and corroded off under the battery which is supposed to plug into another red wire through a now gray plug (don't know original color). I did replace the red wire back in the wiring harness that wasn't it. I also found a wire combined with the battery terminal going to a connector behind the battery on the fire wall it then splits out to 4 individual black wires which in turn turn into four red wires going some place. I am wondering if these are four individual fusible links?? I will keep ya'al posted to this problem more testing today.
I just don't want to get fooled by the low reading on factory volt meter but seem to think there is a connection? Horn works loudly, radio works, windows work great, lights are bright, locks bang up & down fine.
I have a 2000 GM shop manual but 1995 no schematic going blind here.

#19 ·
I have the fsm for 95. I'm not completely sure on what diagram you might need, but here is the fusible links section. I was having a hard time with getting the picture of the whole page to focus, so heres the part with the fusible links.

It says there is a black wire goint to 4 fusible links. 2 black and 2 gray. The wires coming out it says are red. They go to different parts of the electrical system.

#20 ·
Found the red wire rotted off behind the battery is in dash/charging circuit. I got that fixed still not spinning over fast enough. BUT it did start first thing Saturday morning I moved off the ant hill up on the ramps from were the wrecker dropped it off last week. then bought rebuilt starter and proceeded to install. Ain't as much fun as I remembered been years since last one I replaced. got it all installed and torqued down only to find no clearance between ring gear and starter, I installed the shim that was supplied still not enough clearance. Drove to Advanced and bought a pack of GM shims I had to install 2 of the largest thickness to get clearance.
I also added a tin plate under the battery as the oem tray was GONE. used an old TV wall mount tray bent it around to hold the battery in. the bolts that hold the battery holding assembly are rusted so bad they couldn't be removed without more time so I got what it is a temporary battery shelf. my find another OEM shelf in better shape some time.
Thank you folks for support. Hope I can return your help some time.
Barney

#21 ·
Barney, witn it not spinning fast enough check the terminals at the battery. See if they are corroded. You can but new battery lug bolts to pop in your cables for any LAPS. When you tested the big B+ cable at the starter was there a big voltage drop? Some times I will run a second cable to act as a helper if the big B+ cable is going bad. What is the health of your battery? How old is it?

#22 ·
I think the battery is about 6 months old and cheap. But now with new starter installed spins very fast again. I think the old starter was just cantankerous at times I've been running the van quite a bit today (not too far from home) testing stopping and restarting while hot . All seems ok now the test tomorrow going 30 miles away from home to work and back. I don't like to advertise but triple "A" is worth it for me been towed 4 times in 4 years with different vehicles.
thanks again for help

#24 ·
Old Barney said:
All seems ok now the test tomorrow going 30 miles away from home to work and back.
That is when it will show up ;)

Old Barney said:
I don't like to advertise but triple "A" is worth it for me been towed 4 times in 4 years with different vehicles.
They are definitely worth it if you end up using it, used to love to get their triptiks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.