Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Fuel Pump Relay Location

18K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  RECox286 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the location of the fuel pump relay of a 1995 safari? I replaced the pump and it is still not working.

#3 ·
I love this forum, first and foremost lol.
I also have a 95 Chevy Astro 2WD. I went to Autozone to buy a new relay. I didn't take the old one with me. So the guy sold me a relay that's different then the one on the firewall. if you go to Autozone, O'Reilly, NAPA, or even just a google image search for the 95 Fuel Pump Relay, there's pics of a different relay then the one that's in my van.

Here is where my relays are, i don't have 3 of them next to each other, the 3rd one is under the bulk of the wiring to the back of where the AC unit is.

The grey relay on the left is my stock relay, the black one on the right is the new fuel pump relay.

This could be the most retarded of posts, but I've searched online most the day...
so...where does the new relay go?

#4 ·
The 95 is an animal unto itself. The f/p relay is located under the hood, passenger side, over the heater box area. If you find you need

a new relay, definitly take the old one with you to the store to match up, else you will come home with the wrong part. Don't ask why...

What you need to find out is with the connector removed from the relay, when looking for 12v with either a meter or light: 1) is there one

heavy wire in the connector that has constant 12v ? 2) is there one smaller wire that shows 12v for 2 seconds when the key is turned to ON ?

If the above two things aren't happening, then there is either a wiring, fuse or PCM problem. If you have 12v as stated above, and with the

relay plugged into its' connector, and the test light stabbed into the single female "test connection" that is in the wiring bundle and just to the

left of the relay (grey wire): when the key is turned to ON, does the tester show 12v for 2 seconds ? If it does, then the 'prime' function of the

system is good, and the engine should want to start. Another way to tell if the pump is running, would be to put your ear to the fuel filler (cap

off) and listen while the key is turned to ON. The pump should hum (no particular hit parade song) for the 2 second prime.

Check things out as outlined above, and then get back with some results. (OK ?)

Uncle Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.