astro van wont start after rain

Re: astro van wont start after rain

Postby astro355 » August 9th 2009, 5:56pm

leegaddis32 wrote:not sure what happened but was running fine . has 190k on it but has been reliable as ever. just changed fuel pump dist cap and rotor plugs and wires not 6 months ago. it rained hard night before last and went to try to start and nothing. turns over and tries to start. i have noticed it running a little rough like a slight misfire last few weeks. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

What year is your van?
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 57
Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby mattsrevenge » August 10th 2009, 7:42pm

i 2x guyonearth's
i had the about same issue, my was the coil, shorting to the bracket that holds to the top of the intake.

i let the engine warm up (so the water could evaporate) and used a spray bottle of water, to wet down the top end components of the van with the doghouse off.
see my short vids on this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm2MB_1FngA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt1gKHEPFPU
96 astro conversion
98 crown vic p71
mattsrevenge
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: mattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full yearsmattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full yearsmattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full yearsmattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full yearsmattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full yearsmattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 8
Extra Info: 2wd conversion

Postby leegaddis32 [OP] » August 13th 2009, 9:34pm

went and got another distributor cap and rotor and seems to be fine but it hasnt rained to put it to the test. the parts man said that he knows folks that have to replace the distributor cap every year on these vans said its a bad design problem on the distributor---not sure how true it is but seems to make sense i guess
Original Poster [OP]
leegaddis32
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: leegaddis32 has been a member for 5 full yearsleegaddis32 has been a member for 5 full yearsleegaddis32 has been a member for 5 full yearsleegaddis32 has been a member for 5 full yearsleegaddis32 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 4

Postby leegaddis32 [OP] » August 13th 2009, 9:36pm

2000 astro---nice video man will have to replace the coil just in case this weekend. greatly appreciate all the input and suggestions
Original Poster [OP]
leegaddis32
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: leegaddis32 has been a member for 5 full yearsleegaddis32 has been a member for 5 full yearsleegaddis32 has been a member for 5 full yearsleegaddis32 has been a member for 5 full yearsleegaddis32 has been a member for 5 full years

Postby $uperJoe » August 13th 2009, 9:46pm

just wondering if the van hasnt moved over night and it wont start after a rain, how much rain do you get to get water up inside the motor cover. do you leave the hood open at night? i am from a low rain area but dont see how it can get that far into the doghouse latteraly without the vehicle moving. am i missing something?
Don't explain it poorly 5 times. Take the 15 seconds to go out and take a picture of it!!
Please do not confuse idle conversation with technical advise

Check out my Van build
$uperJoe
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: $uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 59
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby mattsrevenge » May 3rd 2010, 8:48pm

resurrection!

hey folks, so i have the same problem as last time. my videos up there, sparky coil, etc, occur again.

ive had 3 caps, 3 rotors, new plugs, wires, and 4 coils on the astro.
best that i could figure, is that the block has a bad ground?
getting my stupid q's out of the way...
-engine block ground, does it ground thru the engine mounts?
where is the OEM ground? i couldnt find anything near to this, i didnt get under the vehicle though.

i replaced the last coils on warranty. (yay keeping reciepts) the plugs (it was due) and the wires (was also due) where prevnt maint.
but the caps, rotor (yes yes, acdelco only), i tried 2 aftermarkets, and then paid in full for the OEM (thats currently on the 'stro now).

so, the coil bots to the intake, on an alum surface. does this ground to the motor? or in the plastic intake, its set and not grounded.
either way, it was my process of elimination that the engine had bad/missing ground from the block to the body, etc.
fig'd that if the block isnt grounded properly, the spark from the coil, thru the wire, to the plug isnt grounding to the electrode on the plug, and causing resistance when its trying to fire. (concur or flame me for being wrong? lol)

when i replaced the coil up at my 'rents house (178 miles from home) when the van wouldnt start for me, this time i added a 10ga grounding wire from the back passenger head a major body ground (both cleaned, prepped, etc) and the van seemed to be 'more happy' and run 'stronger' than it has in the past 2 years. engine had more power, w/ a load (400+lbs of stuff) and a full tank, + runing the a/c. that and i observed crazy +++ in MPG from rents to home.
i observed 13 gal to get 178 miles, then 7 gal to return home, both w/ a/c and the return trip +400lb in weight added.

thoughts?
96 astro conversion
98 crown vic p71
mattsrevenge
Years of Membership: mattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full yearsmattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full yearsmattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full yearsmattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full yearsmattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full yearsmattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full years

Postby astroturf » May 3rd 2010, 10:38pm

WOW, You may be on to something Matt. I'm still learning a lot, But it sounds as though you have hit it on the head. I'll wait and let others chime in now. Did you grab any pix of it? Thanks, Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 5 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 5 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 5 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 5 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 112
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby Leeann_93 » May 3rd 2010, 11:11pm

Grounds should be:

LH Radiator Support
RH Radiator Support
LH Cylinder Head
Generator Bracket
Firewall, extreme passenger side of the engine compartment
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L7)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 21
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby Astroplane » May 4th 2010, 6:02am

mattsrevenge wrote:-engine block ground, does it ground thru the engine mounts?
where is the OEM ground?

Engine ground is next to the crankshaft balancer on the front of the block. Main body ground is on the radiator support in front of the battery. The coil itself does not need to be grounded, but the ICM (module)has a ground that splits at a splice and terminates at the thermostat housing and the left rear of the engine block near the knock sensor.
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Astroplane has been a member for 4 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 4 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 4 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 4 full years
Extra Info: LT RWD

Postby mattsrevenge » May 4th 2010, 2:33pm

thanks on the ground locations,

the RH firewall (facing the astro, driver side) and the firewall (above the blower motor) ive pulled and cleaned (they where clean, no rust/corrosion), and its the ground above the blower that i wired my pass side head bolt to (it holds one of the wire pack retention clips). i pulled the ground on the drivers side of the head and cleaned those as well (besides covered in oil, metal was clean under the bolt). so that leaves me with the

-LH radiator support
-generator braket (and i bring this one up becuase 4 years ago the van chewed thru 2 alternators in 30 days... i didnt repair that one, before i own, shop did r&r 1st time, and then diff shop did 2x under warranty)
-ICM (module)

ill be checking those later this week/weekend (whenver i FIND time haha)

much thanks everyone :rolling:
96 astro conversion
98 crown vic p71
mattsrevenge

Postby llulua » May 24th 2010, 2:36pm

I have been having this problem for 5 years. Have done all that everyone here suggests. Still, no start problem exists. Replaced crank sensor too.

I think I was on the right track for the crank sensor. But it's not the sensor, it may be the connection. I've seen several posts referring to this as the possible culprit. Take this one for example:

"I think you have a poor electrical connection to the crank position sensor or at the computer end. You can dis-connect the battery and un-plug the sensor and spray it out with WD40 and you can do the same at all the computer plugs."

Meanwhile, I discovered that if I place a 1500 watt small ceramic cube heater just under the motor and just past the air dam and let it run for 3 hours or more, the van will start.

This spring, we have had lots of rain so I have been parking with the nose end just inside my garage. (Garage is loaded with stuff being readied for yard sale.) I run the heater during the night and the van always starts in the morning no matter how bad the rain was or is.

Problem is when I go some where and have to let van sit in humid air or rain.

This past friday, my wife drove van to work and it would not start when she wanted to come home. Went up there and got her. Left van until yesterday hoping it would start. But ended up having AAA tow it home 37 miles.

I immediately placed the heater under the motor and let it run foor about 4 hours. Went out to start van and it started!

Getting back to the sensor, I'm going to see if the connecting wires are shorting and/or if the seal around the connector is bad.

Will let you know.
llulua
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: llulua has been a member for 4 full yearsllulua has been a member for 4 full yearsllulua has been a member for 4 full yearsllulua has been a member for 4 full years
Extra Info: RWD

Postby astroturf » May 24th 2010, 3:02pm

llulua wrote:I have been having this problem for 5 years. Have done all that everyone here suggests. Still, no start problem exists. Replaced crank sensor too.

I think I was on the right track for the crank sensor. But it's not the sensor, it may be the connection. I've seen several posts referring to this as the possible culprit. Take this one for example:

"I think you have a poor electrical connection to the crank position sensor or at the computer end. You can dis-connect the battery and un-plug the sensor and spray it out with WD40 and you can do the same at all the computer plugs."

Meanwhile, I discovered that if I place a 1500 watt small ceramic cube heater just under the motor and just past the air dam and let it run for 3 hours or more, the van will start.

This spring, we have had lots of rain so I have been parking with the nose end just inside my garage. (Garage is loaded with stuff being readied for yard sale.) I run the heater during the night and the van always starts in the morning no matter how bad the rain was or is.

Problem is when I go some where and have to let van sit in humid air or rain.

This past friday, my wife drove van to work and it would not start when she wanted to come home. Went up there and got her. Left van until yesterday hoping it would start. But ended up having AAA tow it home 37 miles.

I immediately placed the heater under the motor and let it run foor about 4 hours. Went out to start van and it started!

Getting back to the sensor, I'm going to see if the connecting wires are shorting and/or if the seal around the connector is bad.

Will let you know.

Good info. Welcome to the Forum. And please keep us posted. Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 5 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 5 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 5 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 5 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 5 full years

Postby Astroplane » May 25th 2010, 7:19am

llulua wrote:I have been having this problem for 5 years.

Has it always been a no spark condition when it will not start? Ever store any codes? I'm also wondering if the heater is drying it out or expanding a loose connection. The CKP connector is right there closest to the heater, so maybe? Do you have a digital meter?
The price of paying attention is cheap considering the alternative.
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Astroplane has been a member for 4 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 4 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 4 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 4 full years
Extra Info: LT RWD

Postby leegaddis32 [OP] » September 4th 2010, 4:31am

not sure if this is the correct answer but i put gasket maker around the bottom of the distributor cap figuring i replace it every year so what the hell and low and behold ive never had the problem again no matter how hard it rains and weve been gettin lately
Original Poster [OP]
leegaddis32
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby jeff's93astro » September 4th 2010, 4:59am

must be a gen 2 problem. I've had 3 gen 1 vans and ran ac delco plugs, duralast wires,cap,and rotor. And never had a problem with any of them cranking or missing
Or am i just lucky?
88 Silverado 5.7L RWD 284,000 miles (going 383 soon)
93 Astro CS 4.3L RWD 230,000 miles (89 Astro 4.3)
ImageImage
jeff's93astro
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: jeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 53
Extra Info: CS 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby leegaddis32 [OP] » October 2nd 2010, 8:20pm

well i must admit i had to change the distributor gear and the gasket maker was not such a good idea lol. i used to think ppl saying dont get the disributor cap from auto zone were just talking crap BUT NOW I AM A BELIEVER. you can just look and see the craftmanship difference. after the gear and new distributor cap (delco this time) runs better than it has in years---pushin over 200,000 miles and like i said its runnin better than it has in years---just hope it stays that way
Original Poster [OP]
leegaddis32
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby astroturf » October 2nd 2010, 8:22pm

Congrats Lee

Now go huntin.

Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby leegaddis32 [OP] » October 2nd 2010, 8:35pm

thanks to all those who put in their two cents all ideas and help greatly appreciated
Original Poster [OP]
leegaddis32
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby Philly758 » October 25th 2010, 3:32pm

My van will not start after rain. Its a 2000 Safari AWD with 85k on it. I've owned it for just over a year and never had any issues with it starting until this past month.

I just replaced the rotor, cap, wires and plugs with ACDelco parts hoping that it would solve the problem, but it still doesn't start after rain. Not long ago I replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump sounds strong when I turn the key. I do have a replacement ignition coil that I am going to try next, but I'm not sure if this will solve my problem. It starts fine if its dry and also starts fine when its cold (started this past weekend in 40* temps). If its not the ignition coil, rotor, cap, wires or plugs, what would be next... I suppose I will get the battery checked since thats easy/free, I know that it is an older battery that usually reads around 14v. Other than that if the problem persists I guess I'll have to inspect every inch of every wire and grounds related to the ignition system until I find an issue.

I don't have a covered parking spot at my condo and this is my daily driver. If I can't get this fixed I will need to get another car, which I can't afford at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
2000 GMC Safari SLE, AWD - 118k+
- Lifted with 22-687 leaf springs and 2" blocks
- Cooper AT3 30x9.5's on Cragar Soft 8's
- Hellwig Rear Sway Bar
- TruCool Trans Cooler
- Corvette Servo
- Moog steering
- Bilstein HD's
- 3.73 G80
Philly758
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Philly758 has been a member for 3 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 3 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 31
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE AWD

Postby Mr_Bowtie » October 25th 2010, 10:38pm

^You should start your own thread and you will get more response then. :D

Does it just crank or does it act like the battery is dead? If its cranking over fine then the battery is good.

After it rains is there anything under the hood that is getting soaked?

Check for good BLUE spark coming from the coil. Yellow spark is a sign of a weak coil. Coil could have a crack in it and the moisture in the air could be causing the problem.

If it happens again and you got good spark I would spray WD-40 on anything that you think might have gotten moisture in it. Spray the coil, wires, dizzy, etc. The WD-40 will absorb any moisture that got into anything & the Van should then start right up(if thats the case). This worked great on my other vehicle until I could afford to buy a new coil.
'96 Astro AWD 206K miles!
31" tires LIFTED 4" total with tires! SOLD! :(
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Nick
Year: 1996
Extra Info: Lifted AWD

Next