Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Astro van is it the igniton switch or a relay

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  unclemaui 
#1 ·
94 Chevy astrovan all at once no speedometer. stays in low gear, windows, front and rear fans stop working a/c compressor does not start heater does not start.

I cannot find anywhere online about a relay or if it is the ignition switch that shuts off the accessories until the engine starts. (thinking short circuit)

For grins and $47.00 I tried the speed sensor. still stays in low gear.

#2 ·
It is the ignition switch that does that. And it does sound like it is losing power to things. Next time it does it I would check power @ the fuses for those areas. There is a spade connector marked IGN test there.
It seems like the hot in run @ the computer is going out or out depending on how you look at it from the diagram. Computer not getting juice there affects your speedo and shifting. And powering the other items, A/C clutch and blower motor. Same power feed in other parts of the wiring harness.
Sounds like a bad connection in the starter switch. I never messed with it yet on mine. So I don't know if it is in the switch itself. Or the rod type where a rod from the switch runs to a electical switch farther down on the steering column. Like older stuff had.

94 wireing one.jpg

#5 ·
chevymaher said:
It is the ignition switch that does that. And it does sound like it is losing power to things. Next time it does it I would check power @ the fuses for those areas. There is a spade connector marked IGN test there.
It seems like the hot in run @ the computer is going out or out depending on how you look at it from the diagram. Computer not getting juice there affects your speedo and shifting. And powering the other items, A/C clutch and blower motor. Same power feed in other parts of the wiring harness.
Sounds like a bad connection in the starter switch. I never messed with it yet on mine. So I don't know if it is in the switch itself. Or the rod type where a rod from the switch runs to a electical switch farther down on the steering column. Like older stuff had.

So I test using the IGN is it suppose to be hot all the time or when the key is turned to on?

#9 ·
Well I checked the fuseible links. they are fine however I cannot find that lug marked ING. :banghead:

Looking at the elect you attached. is that lug on a white device lower on the steering column? there are two lugs a small one and a large one side by side. :?:

Starting to think I need to call a mobile tech. I hate paying people to work on my stuff. that is why I bought tools

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.