Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

1998 Astro

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Leeann_93 
#1 ·
I have a 1998 Chevy Asto that I bought with 78,000 miles it runs great all the maintenance was up to date. About a week after we bought it the digital display and all the gauges would go out, this included the spedometer, odemeter, gas gauge, temp gauge, and battery gauge. The car radio display would also go out unless we turned the head lights on then it would show again, but nothing else. At first it did it off and on, now it is on in the morning when we first start it, but it goes out as soon as we go to take off. The dash lights work fine too when you turn on the headlights, just not anything else. Any ideas?

#2 ·
I would suggest checking all your bulbs. I had a similar problem about 6 months after I bought mine new. After several trips to the dealer for warranty claim they found a bulb in the tailight that was loose. The glass part was loose from the metal base. Sounds simple but after it was replaced I haven't had the problem in the past 12 years.

#3 ·
96blueastro said:
I would suggest checking all your bulbs. I had a similar problem about 6 months after I bought mine new. After several trips to the dealer for warranty claim they found a bulb in the tailight that was loose. The glass part was loose from the metal base. Sounds simple but after it was replaced I haven't had the problem in the past 12 years.
Don't know but I call bullsheet on the dealer.

#4 ·
^ yeah, I don't see how a loose taillight affects the gauges...sorry.

Sounds more like a bad ground on or behind the cluster, bare/crimped wire somewhere in the harness, a messed up cold solder joint...something like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.