Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Overhead console Installation

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  RenegadeC 
#1 ·
Just a quick question before I return to the boneyard tomorrow. I pulled the overhead console with the display in it (yes, grabbed the brackets too!), installing it in a 2000 Astro cargo model. Haven't opened the headliner yet to look but should I grab the wiring harness too from the donor van? :banana:

Any other items I should grab while I'm there? :dunce:

#2 ·
yes, Yes, YES!!!!! Get the wiring harness.

It will run from the O/H Console to the drivers door pillar, to the floor, to the front/behind under the emergency brake mechanism, to the convienence panel (nex to the fuse panel) where several plugs are attached. I believe that it is a 9 pin connector.

It's a little bit of work but definitely worth the trouble.

#4 ·
Does your cargo have a tilt steering column? They are easy to change out, even the ignition key assembly.
You can add the cruise module later, or grab it from the donor.

Also the drawer under the passenger seat?
Any other cosmetics, carpet, door panels, remote mirrors, etc.?

#5 ·
I already grabbed the tilt column with the tow/haul switch (which mine had) and the cruise button (which it didn't) and had a locksmith pop the old lock for me. I also grabbed the cruise module off the donor and four others (just in case since Murphy likes to cause me grief). The drawer I wasn't aware of but I am now, thanks!

I have a set of power mirrors snagged on a previous visit and a power seat base for the driver's seat. A bit down the road will be power windows and locks (factory) which I have no doubt will be great fun as I seem to recall the parts being riveted in?

:ty:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.