Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

another electrical question

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Big_kid 
#1 ·
every once in awhile when i turn on my headlights my right turn signal lite comes on in my dash. no blink but steady burn. i can drive a couple miles or so turn my lites off do my thing, come back start my van and turn on my lites no turn signal lite . sounds like a short somewhere in my wires but where. switch? turn signals? taillites/ parking lite mode? in park mode is where it comes on. :banghead:

#4 ·
Either way, electricity always takes the easiest path to ground. Circuits are built around that premise. Unfortunately, if the desired path to ground suddenly offers for resistance than normal (ie, bad ground, cut wire, wires rubbing on each other) the current will find another path to ground and take it. If the current goes thru a circuit with a light, it will activate that light.

Is there any other work you have done to the van recently, regardless of what the work was? Any other odd things happening to it?

#5 ·
it needs a complete going over. i have a coolant leak somewhere,an oil leak, oil gauge don't work gas gauge don't work doghouse doesn't tighten like it should(threads stripped out). a/c don't work(needs vaccumed and charged) fan motor don't work. but with all the things that are wrong with it, she still fires up and is a dependable daily driver. i would not hesatate to drive from coast to coast in her. mite be a little hot inside due to the doghouse, but she would make it no problem. she has over 200k on her, i am on her third trip around showing about 3k on her clock. she just needs tlc or a overhaulin by chip foose. :chevy: :driving: :banana:

#6 ·
Check your turn signal/tail light bulbs & make sure they're the proper type, installed correctly(not backwards) and tight. My dad's Caprice did something similar once. Somehow an 1156(single filament) found it's way into a tail light socket. Every time he stepped on the brake, the parking lights would come on. That circuit was being backfed through the socket with the 1156 bulb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.