Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

electrical issues

778 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Don1806 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone.
So I have read many things that seem semi-similar but not quite what I'm looking for so here's my situation...
I have a 99 Astro AWD, that I got recently, ever sense I got it my wipers have been weird, the washer pump doesn't activate when I use the switch, and my wipers will swipe like 6 times and stop in the middle of the windshield when I try to use the washer fluid, and even when I turn my wipers on for a drive and turn them off afterwards, they continue on for about 5 minutes. the guy at my local O'Reilly auto parts told me that the wiper control module under the hood could be a cause of those problems, but I wanted to see if anyone on here had any ideas...

Secondly, I bought brand new 35watt HID headlights, and I noticed that the passenger light didn't like to turn on when I started the van so I had to repeatedly turn the switch on and off until it would turn on. I did some research and found out that the van uses 55watt bulbs so I bought new 55watt HID's and the same happens, and today the passenger one will not turn on at all, I tried the switch for a few minutes, then I turned the van off and back on and they still have nothing... however when I was waiting for my new 55watt HID's to be delivered i had regular bulbs in and I noticed no such problems... So, what should i check?? I don't see how it could be a fuse because the driver light works fine.
Somebody PLEASE help!!!
:confused: :screaming: :banghead:

See less See more
#2 ·
The circuit board that runs the wipers could be loose or could be bad. They are known to have some soldered connections that crack from vibration over time. See this thread and scroll down. There is a post describing how to get to the board.

http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23305&p=238809&hilit=wiper+circuit+board#p238809

I think that you have to make some wiring modifications to use HID's on these vans. At a minimum you will want to do the "Big 3 Upgrade found at the top of this section." I haven't installed HID's in mine, so don't want to steer you the wrong way. Others who have installed HID's will most likely respond to that question.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.