Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

BACK UP LIGHTS

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  ANTIQUECASTLE 
#1 ·
Any schematics/suggestions to trace out no back up lights?
2001 Astro.
Bulbs are new.

#2 ·
Both bulbs not lighted, confident they work...
Fuse intact...

I'd start with the backup light switch on the steering column near the firewall. Look up underneath the driver dash and find the white plastic thing that encircles the steering column. It has an elec connector on it that's kind of hard to see. Grasp the white plastic thing and rotate it around the column. That's how you adjust the switch contacts that tell the B/U lights to come on when you put the gear selector in [R].

Set the eBrake, block the wheels, turn the key to ON, engine not running. Put the gear selector in [R] and rotate that white, plastic switch thingie till the B/U lights come on.

Get a helper to watch the lights while you mess with the switch -

Or use something like this mirror on artist easel to make it a one man operation -

The switch, looking FROM the firewall, a position we can't really view from -

Lump

#4 ·
Someone here will post one. I don't have one for your year.

It's really worthwhile to buy a FSM (Factory Service Manual) and the electrical supplement that goes with it, for your year van. They don't cost a lot. Used on eBay. That has every wire, connection, wire color etc in your van on big, large format pages. The schematic is huge. It's hard to post a jpg that's readable at that 11x14 inch scale, esp if it takes up several pages.

For my 89 -

There is pair a of connectors on a ring around the column. The one closest to the floor is the neutral safety switch. The upper one is the backup lamp switch. On the BU switch, BLU is HOT IN RUN, LT GRN is power to backup lamps.

Again, for my 89. Yours may differ. Click pick to enlarge -

Lump

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.