How to wire power seat?

How to wire power seat?

Postby mitchg233 [OP] » April 22nd 2010, 3:19pm

I got an A+ condition driver's side power seat to replace my manual version that was turning into rags. All the motors work, having tested it outside the car. The power seat has an orange wire which is to be connected to the power accessory circuit breaker, which I have found on the panel just above and to the left of the brake pedal. Question is how to connect to that. Does the panel unscrew and give access to a lug to attach the wire, or should I think about splicing into one of the many orange wires that seem to come from the rear of the panel near the circuit breaker? Thanks.
Original Poster [OP]
mitchg233
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: mitchg233 has been a member for 5 full yearsmitchg233 has been a member for 5 full yearsmitchg233 has been a member for 5 full yearsmitchg233 has been a member for 5 full yearsmitchg233 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 9
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: How to wire power seat?

Postby LEVE » April 22nd 2010, 3:33pm

Mucking about in the fuse block is a daunting task highlighted with risk.

Were I you, I'd take a wire off the positive side of the battery to an auxiliary fuse block, then from other side of the new fuse block into the cabin and seat location.

They're often used to install stereo's and other high power equipment. Just be sure it will handle the power requirement the same as the OEM block.
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: LEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 18
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD 4.3L-W

Postby JayDubya » April 24th 2010, 6:37am

I scored a nice power seat for my '99 van too. After some research, I found that there are two power take offs that you can use for your own purposes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The top, middle socket in the underdash convenience center just to the left of the flasher (big black cube) has two fused 1/4" male spade terminals.
In the picture, mine had the plug you see with the two red wires coming out of it.
The one on the left is off when the key is off; the one on the right is hot all the time (the one I used). They each have their own 30 amp maxifuse in the underhood fuse box. All you need to do is crimp a 1/4" female spade terminal on a decent sized wire (12 or 14 gauge should be plenty) and plug it in.
'99 Astro Mark III conversion hack job
JayDubya
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: JayDubya has been a member for 4 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 4 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 4 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Extra Info: RWD Hightop conv

Postby webcat » April 24th 2010, 7:26am

Do you have to wire a relay inbetween the power source and seat ?
webcat
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: webcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 252
Alias (AKA): Larry aka Rambo
Extra Info: g10 5.7L vortec

Postby JayDubya » April 24th 2010, 7:59am

webcat wrote:Do you have to wire a relay inbetween the power source and seat ?

No, not if you connect directly to the points I used. It's a pretty straight installation. Already fused and safe.
JayDubya
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: JayDubya has been a member for 4 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 4 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 4 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 4 full years

Postby webcat » April 24th 2010, 9:09am

JayDubya wrote:
webcat wrote:Do you have to wire a relay inbetween the power source and seat ?

No, not if you connect directly to the points I used. It's a pretty straight installation. Already fused and safe.

Nice!
webcat
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Years of Membership: webcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 252
Alias (AKA): Larry aka Rambo
Extra Info: g10 5.7L vortec

Postby JayDubya » April 24th 2010, 7:36pm

Upon further investigation, I found the factory power seat take off point.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's circled in yellow. There are two 1/8" male spade terminals in it. The bottom spade is hot power from the 30 amp lower circuit breaker in the IP fuse panel to the right. The top spade is ground, so you can run both your hot & ground seat cable along the cable channel right up to it if you don't want to ground the wire at one of the seat bolts. I replugged mine into it from the other feed I described above and it works just fine, so this frees up the other two 30 amp take offs for other things like an aftermarket radio power amp, etc. For clarity, these take offs are circled in red. HTH
JayDubya
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby LEVE » April 24th 2010, 8:36pm

:goodpost: :coolphotos:
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: LEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 18
Extra Info: AWD 4.3L-W

Postby mitchg233 [OP] » April 24th 2010, 8:53pm

Jaydubya, it is for times like this THAT THEY INVENTED THE INTERNET.

THANKS
Original Poster [OP]
mitchg233
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: mitchg233 has been a member for 5 full yearsmitchg233 has been a member for 5 full yearsmitchg233 has been a member for 5 full yearsmitchg233 has been a member for 5 full yearsmitchg233 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 9
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Postby JayDubya » April 24th 2010, 10:37pm

Electrical is confusing.
CAR electrical can be REALLY confusing.
Glad I could simplify.
JayDubya
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)