94 Astro: Location of the fuseable link for the fuel pump?

94 Astro: Location of the fuseable link for the fuel pump?

Postby theegr1 [OP] » June 23rd 2010, 3:19am

After 190,000 km's and 16 years service, the fuel pump on my 94 astro (z engine; rwd) suddenly quit the other day. My Chilton guide helped me locate the fuel pump relay (which i replaced and it made no difference; still no noise from the pump, and no fuel pressure - even at the fuel filter). This Chilton guide also makes mention of a "fuseable link" protecting the fuel pump wiring. I want to check this link prior to replacing the fuel pump. Unfortanately this mediocre Chilton guide of mine merely mentions the fueable link for the fuel pump, but little else: All it notes is this: "Fuseable link C - black/silver, (to fuel pump circuit) located at battery connection block" ...No images, no pictures, no diagrams of any sort to help me locate and check it. Can anyone help point me to the exact location of the fuseable link for the fuel pump? I have been looking and looking (under the driver's dash as well as under the hood and I cannot find anything obvious. I would greatly appreciate the guidance in locating it. Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance to anyone who can help point me to it's location.
Original Poster [OP]
theegr1
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: theegr1 has been a member for 3 full yearstheegr1 has been a member for 3 full yearstheegr1 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 4
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 Z engine RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: 94 Astro: Location of the fuseable link for the fuel pum

Postby rev_les » June 23rd 2010, 3:25am

Chances are...it's the fuel pump itself, and it's located inside the fuel tank. Do a voltage check at the harness leading to the fuel tank, to be sure, but with that many km's, it's probably time for the original to go to that big trash can in the sky! :violin:
Welcome to the forum!
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby theegr1 [OP] » June 23rd 2010, 3:38am

Thanks for the welcome. I bought the new the new pump already. I have not changed it yet; I figured i better check the fuseable link as well; just in case the old pump took it out when the pump finally quit. If anyone knows where to find this "fuesable link", i would sure appreciate the knowledge. It is really annoying me that i cannot find it. My fear is that i will change the pump, and still have no current if that link is also out.
Original Poster [OP]
theegr1
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: theegr1 has been a member for 3 full yearstheegr1 has been a member for 3 full yearstheegr1 has been a member for 3 full years

Postby LEVE » June 23rd 2010, 3:55am

Dang all, bite the bullet and change the fuel pump. :banghead:

A Fuseable link is a shaved piece of wire that's about 1/2 to 1/3rd the size of the supply wire and acts as a fuse. It's usually buried in the wiring harness... and RARELY goes out. If it goes, you should have had a burned fuel pump relay, or a blown supply fuse. I just looked on my '93 FSM Electrical schematic and there's no Fuseable link shown; it should be the same for your '94.

Drop the tank and change the fuel pump. Don't center your focus on something that ain't gonna get you anywhere.
Last edited by LEVE on June 23rd 2010, 4:05am, edited 1 time in total.
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: LEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 18
Extra Info: AWD 4.3L-W

Postby Mr_Bowtie » June 23rd 2010, 4:02am

I have no idea on the fuseable link stuff, but WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!! Please take the time to introduce yourself in the "new members" section. :chevy:
'96 Astro AWD 206K miles!
31" tires LIFTED 4" total with tires! SOLD! :(
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Nick
Year: 1996
Extra Info: Lifted AWD

Postby theegr1 [OP] » June 23rd 2010, 4:22am

Yeah ok! I'll do that then! LOL! If your 93 does not have such a thing, then my 94 probably doesn't either; explains why I cannot locate it. That's one problem with these Chilton guides...This book covers all model years from 85 to 96. And of course, it doesn't always mention what applies to which years. I just figured i better do my research on the topic anyways. I'm thinking I should probably check ebay for a shop manual instead of using a Chilton guide.
Original Poster [OP]
theegr1
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby LEVE » June 23rd 2010, 4:28am

There's FOUR FSM manuals for the Astro; each manual covers a different section, fuel, emissions, electrical, mechanical, etc.. I got my set off Ebay and haven't regretted it.
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: LEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 18
Extra Info: AWD 4.3L-W

Postby rev_les » June 23rd 2010, 4:39am

LEVE wrote:There's FOUR FSM manuals for the Astro; each manual covers a different section, fuel, emissions, electrical, mechanical, etc.. I got my set off Ebay and haven't regretted it.

my '99 has 2, but one of them is a tome with several major sections combined into one huge book... anyway, I'd highly recommend buying the factory manual for your particular year, it's indispensable. ( I have the Haynes, Chilton, and the FSM for my '95, and my '99..... I've been using the '99 FSM for my '01 Safari, but it's a recent addition to the fleet, and so far,the same.

BTW...shop around on E-Bay.......the prices on these swing from really reasonable, to ridiculous...
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD