Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

1999 safari passlock

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
Hello again. By a quirk in the universe I have gotten my safari back. But I am having problems with the pass lock. tried to reset by leaving key on position for 10 minutes shut off then turn back on till security light shuts off.

Dealer tells me that some sensor is burned out in steering column. but my keys do not have chips in them. also noticed that electric door locks dont work. Dealer says in will be $500.00 to fix.

Thanks in advance you folks have always helped.

steve

#2 ·
Passlock Relearn:

Turn the key to Run, then VERY BRIEFLY turn it to start - do NOT let the van start - and back to Run. Leave it in Run for 10 minutes; the Security light will flash for the full 10 minutes (mine turned solid for the last 10 secs or so before it went out). When it goes out, turn the key to Off and wait 10 seconds. Do it again - turn to Run, briefly to Start, back to Run for 10 minutes. Turn the key to Off, wait 10 seconds. Do it again. This time, when you turn the key to Run, the Security light should be solid as normal and the van should start and continue to run.

Had to do this when I did ignition switch/lock cylinder replacement on my '99. My keys aren't chipped, either.

However, if your key is worn, no amount of Passlock relearn will help. You'll need a new key, one not cut as a copy of the old one. Dealers will cut a new key from the VIN if you show proof of ownership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.