How can I reset "service AWD" light?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

How can I reset "service AWD" light?

Postby rubrbulits [OP] » January 11th 2011, 9:27pm

I just bought a transfer case motor for my 2005 AWD Astro cargo van. The van is in my shop ready to work on. The directions that came with the transfer case motor say "DO NOT OPERATE MOTOR UNTIL ATC CODES ARE CLEARED". I dont have a scan tool and I really dont want to bring it to a mechanic. Is there really a way to clear the codes with out the scan tool, such as disconnecting the battery for awhile? Thanks.
Original Poster [OP]
rubrbulits
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: rubrbulits has been a member for 3 full yearsrubrbulits has been a member for 3 full yearsrubrbulits has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): chris
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD Carg

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: How can I reset "service AWD" light?

Postby Phantom » January 11th 2011, 10:31pm

Yes disconnecting the battery negative cable for a while. may take several hours will remove the code , but also be ready for the possibility that you may have an idle or running condition that is not smooth due to the erasing of the memory of the PCM , there is re-learning procedure to resolve that , or just drive it for a few days and the PCM will re-learn on its own , you might think something is wrong when it is ok during the learning process , that is why techs use a scan tool to clear any codes without causing a memory loss to the entire PCM, a good quality code reader will work and you might find some cool guy at Autozone that will clear it for you for no charge , some have done it for me and some have told me they are not allowed to do it , maybe slip the guy a green back and he may do it :)
Some O'reily shops have a loan a tool program that you pay the full price as a deposit for the scanner and the get your money returned when you return the scanner
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 15
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro