Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Chevy Astro Vs. Chevy Express 1500

19K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Van Yeti 
#1 ·
The fuel economy for the Chevy Astro and Chevy Express 1500 AWD are nearly identical. Further more I was talking with my moms boyfriend back home, a mechanical guru and he said I can swap the S10 t-case (which I already knew) and on the Express you can swap a Suburban t-case for nearly true part time 4x4.

He also says you can add locking hubs to the Chevy Express, as well as the Astro (In the form of an S10 axle swap). Furthermore, you can also swap out the differential on the Express for a limited slip, and the '03+ Astros have gov-loc or you can swap.

I also asked him about gas mileage and he said without a doubt you would get a few more extra mpg in 2WD mode over the AWD model.

So my question is, why choose the Astro over an Express? The Express has more space with the same gas mileage and such.

#28 ·
Yeah, I dig. I am totally 100% decided on an Astro or Safari. I have all kinds of cool ideas but I am just going to start with insulating and framing the interior for living. My mom comes out to visit in April and she is really behind me on this adventure of mine. So I promised her I'd have my van and have the interior at least livable and we'd go camping.

I'm going to go for an AWD Astro to start with, I'll be in a lot of foreign environments and inclement weather and it will probably come in handy. I'm Also going to install a high top on the van. I'll deal with the gas mileage for a while until I decide what I want to do. I know the first mechanical mod I'll do is a suspension lift, because the ground clearance will come in handy or sure. Chances are I'll swap the T-Case with an S10 down the line once I have gotten my feet wet maintaining the van. In a few years It will be registered in Virginia when my sister and brother in law move and I'll probably buy a kit and and Isuzu 3.9L diesel engine and drop it in.

For now though, just an AWD drive van and a high top, make it livable and go from there.

I went and donated more of my stuff today, all of my worldly possessions have been reduced to a closet half full of stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.