Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Chevy Astro Vs. Chevy Express 1500

19K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Van Yeti 
#1 ·
The fuel economy for the Chevy Astro and Chevy Express 1500 AWD are nearly identical. Further more I was talking with my moms boyfriend back home, a mechanical guru and he said I can swap the S10 t-case (which I already knew) and on the Express you can swap a Suburban t-case for nearly true part time 4x4.

He also says you can add locking hubs to the Chevy Express, as well as the Astro (In the form of an S10 axle swap). Furthermore, you can also swap out the differential on the Express for a limited slip, and the '03+ Astros have gov-loc or you can swap.

I also asked him about gas mileage and he said without a doubt you would get a few more extra mpg in 2WD mode over the AWD model.

So my question is, why choose the Astro over an Express? The Express has more space with the same gas mileage and such.

#2 ·
Ok, I had intended to stay away from this but here goes.

Your posting topic after topic about Astro's and are now even asking about the Express 1500.
You want a 4x4 and a lot of space that means you're going to have to make a big compromise somewhere.
If you want a good decent 4x4 get an SUV, if it's living space you're after get a Van it's that simple!
Thinking the Express 1500 is similar in gas milage is a mistake, the 1500 is larger, heavier and less streamlined this all adds to more fuel consumption.

What is it exactly that you want from us?
You've had your answer from us now it's up to you to decide what to do with it.

No offense intended just my :2:

#3 ·
Yeah, and? I am going to be living in this vehicle full time. I'm researching my investment fully before I purchase. I've made my compromise and my decision but I want to explore as many options as possible before I jump into the deep end.

I've already decided on an Astro because I know there are a few ways I can make it mimic 4x4. I happened to stumbled upon a thread on Expedition Portal about a Chevy Express and wanted to research the validity of them because almost as comparable as an Astro.

#4 ·
Weight to horsepower/torque is better in an Astro. I drive an '06 2WD Express with a 4.3 liter 5 days a week, it is underpowered. I can't pass anyone. I have to wait for bigger breaks in traffic to pull out from a stop. It pisses people (including me) off sometimes. The fuel savings the fleet manager thought she would see with a lighter duty van are just not there( I used to drive an E350).

I don't directly pay for gas, so I've not recently bothered to track the mileage but brand new, empty it was 16 -18 MPG. I know it went down to somewhere around 15 when I loaded it, and it's not loaded that heavy.

The 4.3 in my '95 Astro conversion will put you back in the seat if you get on it. Loaded with a family of 5, camping gear, towing a popup camper, the Astro got 18.8 MPG from the beach to the mountains & back, exactly 400 miles.

Just my 2¢, YMMV.

#10 ·
Van Yeti said:
I'm just so sick and tired of researching this crap. Bleeeeeh. I'm just going to buy a freaking Astro and go from there.
Good choice, Sir.

But being that we are tossing coins into the penny jar, I'll say that if you want to build a van that is functional for going on an expedition or what have you, then fuel economy is really the least of your concerns. I can understand needing to conserve your fuel for those stretches of land where you won't find a gas station for over 200 miles but having a van big enough for your comfort should be your priority.

Fuel economy becomes less significant as you modify your vehicle and use it recreationally because you will drive in conditions and on road surfaces that are not typical nor are the conditions constant. Also consider that if an AWD van gets 3 mpg less than a 2WD van, they are talking about STOCK specs. Converting your van over to AWD does not add up to the same specs. The way that you have to look at it is that if it takes a tank of gas to get up the mountain and then one day you manage to make it on a half-tank, just accept it as an unexpected bonus vs. racking your brain over how you can get that kind of economy on every trip at the expense of being able to have a sufficient amount of equipment and supplies.

Not having enough Pop-Tarts and apple juice for the sake of saving 2-3 MPG is not a position that you really want to be in.

#12 ·
As with most 4x4 applications on Astro you need S10 parts. Specifically an entire front axle. I think the S10 has auto locking hubs that use vacuum pressure. You can make them manual with a posi cable.

I think I got that right. I am still trying to feel my way around the technical mumbo jumbo. Haha.

#13 ·
I had to add to the pot a little too.... What kind of exploring? Are you going to stay around SD ? Most of the good exploring in SoCal is high desert. I have been running around in our deserts for many years, and to tell you the truth, unless you want to rock crawl or get up to those old 30's -40's copper/gold/silver mines up in the mountains, a good set up 2WD does just fine. I had a 69' Datsun pickup, yes "Datsun", that I stiffened up a little and ran out there for years. I could have got myself into trouble, but always seemed to find a way around it. I took my first Astro (2000 Utility) out to were we camp. Its right smack dab in the middle of nowhere and the trails can get a bit dicey, and if there has been a hard rains that year....
All I'm sayin, modifying the pee outa your rig is OK, but do you want to be out in Bum @#^$ Egypt and have "something" fail. your talking about swapping transfer cases and axle swaps, etc....... your out there by yourself remember. I have seen my share of those Concrete Cowboys in their massive trucks sitting in the bottom of a wash-out with the front -ends caved in. to much, to big, to heavy.
Dont get me wrong, I have had my fair share of 4x's. My favorite little goat was a 47' Willys Cj3b.... oh the days...... Anyway! Consider a 2WD. Up grade the front suspension, a lift kit if you want (Astro's are easy to high center), good shocks, upgrade the rear springs and shocks. Good rims and tall tires. A couple skid plates just in case.... and a winch, your best friend. Your out there by yourself still, no one to help you. Check out the Photo Gallery, I know I have seen a 2WD baja/fore-runner style Astro. Picking an Astro was a good thing over the 1500 concrete block. Its a heck of alot shorter, lighter and will be able to get into and out of places you wouldnt be able to in that big 1500. But you loose storage space. :shrug: That 4.3 and the the GM trans is one of their best combo's, more than enough power to get you into and out of trouble. Just carry spare parts :lol:

#14 ·
You make a really good point and it's something I have been considering seriously. I am sitting here thinking and I honestly do not see myself needing true 4x4 components like limited slip differentials, locking hubs, etc. I don't really even see more than a few rare instances I might need AWD that can justify the cost and the risk of parts breaking in the middle of nowhere. I get kind of over zealous about stuff, it's my Achilles heal. I just need to stop and think and decide rationally.

#17 ·
Here's what i would do.
I would buy a newer generation rear wheel drive high top Astro and put mud tires on the rear unless your planning on some hard core rock climbing stuff.
i would try to lighten the van as much as possible .
i would build a slideout side like the rvs have so when you get to your destination you could slide out the room to make it more spacious , i would probally remove the side slider door on the astro and thats where i would build my side room slide out. probally would even use the door skin off of the side slider door .

#18 ·
webcat said:
Here's what i would do.
I would buy a newer generation rear wheel drive high top Astro and put mud tires on the rear unless your planning on some hard core rock climbing stuff.
i would build a slideout side like the rvs have so when you get to your destination you could slide out the room to make it more spacious , i would probally remove the side slider door on the astro and thats where i would build my side room slide out. probally would even use the door skin off of the side slider door .
That's a good idea. Would you include the full height of the high top into the slide out or just up to the original roof line? Some people might not think it'd be worth it by that door is 3 feet long and if you build the slider to be 3 feet wide you're adding about 9 square feet of floor space.

#19 ·
Van Yeti said:
webcat said:
Here's what i would do.
That's a good idea. Would you include the full height of the high top into the slide out or just up to the original roof line? Some people might not think it'd be worth it by that door is 3 feet long and if you build the slider to be 3 feet wide you're adding about 9 square feet of floor space.
i would like it to be as high as the height of the high top but that would be too much work , it would be much simpler to just remove the side Astro slider door and then cut most of the inside of the door out and then in the end your side door would slide out with a floor and walls instead of it sliding to the rear of the van.
You said the side door is 3 feet long, is'nt it more like 5 feet long ?
what if the long side windows slid out too ? little storage compartments that could be slid out of your way .
On my van i converted my rear drivers side window into a storage area thats accessible from the outside , its going to have window louvers that raise up like a hatchback and then there's a storage box inside , a gas shock will hold it open.

#20 ·
small van easier to drive in big unknown cities, but if your idea of exploring is more rural and slow paced Go for a fullsize van. You are aware that they make campervans and rvs right? :D :D

#21 ·
If you seriously customizing.Heres a idea.Hinge side door at top so it opens bottom up.I can stand under roof level of my van.use two poles to hold it up.Nice place to sit while camping.Get one of those square tents cut out back slide it over door when it up for rain protection.Good chair relaxation cooking in the rain spot.Just ideas.

#23 ·
chevymaher said:
If you seriously customizing.Heres a idea.Hinge side door at top so it opens bottom up.I can stand under roof level of my van.use two poles to hold it up.Nice place to sit while camping.Get one of those square tents cut out back slide it over door when it up for rain protection.Good chair relaxation cooking in the rain spot.Just ideas.
You mean something like this.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.