Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Windshield washer tubes

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  RECox286 
#1 ·
I just got finished replacing the heater (blower) motor in my Safari.This was a bit of a PITA but I got it done.When I re-installed the washer/coolant bottle I accidentally sliced the line going to the front wipers.I'm going to replace it with all new hose (I'm not doing the duct tape thing again).I can see most of the tubing but not all of it.How is the line routed from the bottle to the wipers?What do I have to take off, if anything, to do this? Forgive me for being a dumbass about this,but the Chilton's book didn't say anything about this,and the OL is out running errands in the van so I can't look at it right now.I will probably do this tomorrow.Thanks for your help..

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply; I plan to replace the entire length of hose because looking at it, it looks like the original.That way if anything's dry-rotted or iffy, I can just replace the whole thing and won't have to mess with it for a while.

#4 ·
I have never had a problem with hose that carries water. Oil and heat help to destroy the rubber, but you would be safe to just find a piece of metal, or hard plastic tube and use it to mend the break. I'll bet the LAPS will have a selection for a very small pricetag.

Bob

#5 ·
I agree, a 50 cent part can get you up and running with minimal fuss, though I do understand the wanting to replace a rubber line completely too...

#6 ·
Even if you do replace the entire hose you will still have at least one T connector and dont forget about the connections to the wiper blades - if that is on your vehicle. I would think that if you really wanted to make a difference you would use the hard plastic tubing for as much of the system as possible and hose only where necessary. But we all have opinions dont we. Thats the benefit of a forum, Good luck on whatever you decide

A J

#7 ·
This problem is really pissing me off and makes the fan motor install seem like small potatoes now!The line that I cut was for the rear washer that I don't even use due to a ***ked up rear wiper and defroster.I duct taped the break and that works fine.The fronts still don't work though.I hit the washers and I hear the pump working but nothing coming out.I disconnected the line at the check valve and put it in an empty soda bottle.Sure enough the pump works and is putting fluid in that bottle.I removed the check valve from the other side of the line and went to blow through it and nothing doing.The hose appears to be clogged at this point.I can't believe it; 371 thousand miles and not a lick of trouble from the wndshld washers and now this **it.Maybe when I was fooling around with everything else some dirt got in the line.IDK. So now I think I'm screwed into replacing the whole line regardless.Now before somebody tells me just to blow some compressed air in the line 2things-I don't have access to a compressor and the closest gas station has one of those cheapass 25cent air machines usually with some Homey conveniently standing next to it 'axin' people for money.Hell, it's cheaper to just replace the tubing.I looked at this thing and to get to this thing you have to remove about 10 torx screws and pop off the freakin' wiper blades!Is this right?I'm almost to the point of just saying screw it and just have a bottle of Windex next to the drivers seat lol.... :roll:

#8 ·
Yeah, there are about 10 T-15 torx head screws you have to remove, plus both wiper arms so you can do this repair. I have to do it too, and of course I do not have the right tool to remove the torx screws. I have a torx set that folds up like a swiss army knife, and the arms are not long enough to reach the two deep down screws! :screaming: Those two take a screw driver style torx driver to reach them right, at least on my 1992 Astro . In my case, when we got our snow storm here in OKC, my lines froze up, and I tried to use them with out realizing they was frozen, and the drivers line split, popped off or something, but the drivers side squirter does not work now. . . . . . will fix tomorrow, I hope!

#9 ·
A solution that I have used on other cars when the line is plugged , I found that it was not the hose , ,,,it was the nozzle at the end that was plugged up , that tiny pinhole gets clogged after time , using a stiff needle stick it in the end of the nozzle and free up the clogged end and works fine , hopefully this will work on the astro as well

#10 ·
I have had very good luck by using a blowgun to clear out plugged up w/s washer plumbing. Quick, and effective. Also, you can check to see if the pump is working by removing the tubing from the check valve
(first connection in the line downstream of the pump) and activating the switch. I have had pumps go bad.

Bob

#11 ·
Phantom is right about the pin -- the nozzle tip gets clogged occasionally. Try that first, If there is still a problem you might want to try simply unplugging the lines as close to the windshield as possible and using a garden hose. When you spray the hose into the tube more water is going to go all over than into the tube -but - if there is a simple clog the little pressure from the hose should unblock it and cause no pressure damage, just a little wet. This actually works! Now if you want to stay dry fill up a condiment bottle like the ones in a restaurant for the mustard and ketchup. They normally have a small enough tip and you can just stick it in the hose and squeeze, pressure and no water mess and the bottle you can always use for other things. Dont forget to disconnect the line from the nozzle and squeeze some in that direction as well if it goes through the hose but wont when you hook everything up it is the nozzle clogged. At the Dollar store you can buy the condiment bottle as well as a dental pick and get out for two bucks or less. The dental pick works great on the nozzles for keeping them unplugged as well as for aiming them. It will only take a couple of minutes and less than two bucks, even I can afford that :|
Hope it works for you

A J

#12 ·
Some good ideas for unclogging a plugged tip. In my case, the line is separated or clogged down farther in the cowling area. I checked and no clog at the tip here. FUN FUN ! NOT !

#13 ·
yeah these are not worth the trouble to replace they never go bad anyways the only thing that ever happens is a plastic Tee connector breaks

i would leave the hoses be, they will be fine

these arent like vacuum hoses on engine etc. where heat and oil rot them and collapse or split them

#14 ·
Problem solved :D
First I disconnected the hose at the check valve to make double-damn sure the pump was working.It was.(I broke the check valve in the process).I then inserted a length of Bell wire (this is a stiff,not too flexible a wire used in early telephone applications; hence the name)in the line and 'snaked' it through the hose like a plunber would snake out a sewer line,of course on a much smaller scale.After feeding in about 12 to 18 inches of wire, I backed it out.I then blew into the line (where's my high school sweetheart when I need her?) and washer fluid was coming out of the wiper arms.I pirated the check valve from the rear line,duct taped the sliced portion of the hose, and Presto! I got my windshield washers back.I topped off the fluid in the resevior,checked for leaks and everything looks good! Thanks for the responses and suggestions; I appreciate it!

#16 ·
Another thought to clear out the line is buying a can of compressed air, like the type used to clean computers, from Staples or Walmart and using that to blow through. No guarantees obviously but it has worked for me in the past.

Best of luck!!

*edit due to brain faster than fingers...*

#17 ·
The compressed air can works very well but be sure to do all the heavy stuff with the first half of the can. As it nears the middle it does have much less pressure even if you shake it and the lower quarter of the can is pretty much good for blowing light dust around

#18 ·
How many of youse guys are out there pulling PM on cars and trucks without the benifit of shop air ? I should think any dedicated shadetree would have an aircompressor almost before any other piece of equipment.

There isn't hardly one job I do that compressed air doesn't make easier, honestly. Air in a can is pretty expensive, not to mention limited. Curious...

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.