Pics of the 'new' '99 Safari XLE AWD

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Re: Pics of the 'new' '99 Safari XLE AWD

Postby cowboydan » July 24th 2011, 12:38am

i thought you might have put in a shot of the new acd iridium plugs. i didn't know they made them
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): cbd
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby Leeann_93 [OP] » July 24th 2011, 1:20am

It's the AC Delco 41-993. Apparently they used to be platinum and are now iridium

From Summit Racing:
ACDelco iridium spark plugs are the latest evolution in high performance plugs. The natural properties of iridium, with a melting point of approximately 700 degrees Celsius higher than platinum, help enable the plug to burn fuel more efficiently and to deliver better performance. As a result, the iridium plugs have a minimum service life of 100,000 miles (service life varies with individual driving conditions.) Since iridium is one of the densest materials found on earth, the iridium-tipped center electrode is 50 percent the size of a platinum electrode, and 20 percent the size of a conventional nickel electrode. The secondary micro-discharge of the center electrode burns off carbon deposits as they form, for superior anti-fouling performance that, along with the tapered cut-ground electrode, offers enhanced flame spread during combustion. The specially designed electrodes increase the electric field strength at the gap, reducing the voltage required for sparking to begin, for improved cold starting and quicker acceleration. The application coverage of ACDelco iridium spark plugs continues to grow, with the plugs being backed by a 100,000-mile limited warranty.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 21
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby Phantom » July 24th 2011, 2:32am

In 2002 the iridium plug became standard on many GM vehicles ,and every year after that the list became longer and longer for it being the standard issue plug. The last time I tried to show this article ; someone who refused to research anything tried to proclaim they were a gimmick and created an argument , no need for that again ,

here is the Ac Delco website and what they say about their plug

http://www.acdelco.com/html/bn_iridium_plugs.htm
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 15

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » July 24th 2011, 3:22am

Phantom wrote:In 2002 the iridium plug became standard on many GM vehicles ,and every year after that the list became longer and longer for it being the standard issue plug. The last time I tried to show this article ; someone who refused to research anything tried to proclaim they were a gimmick and created an argument , no need for that again ,

I checked them out.I just wish I would have known before I bought the platinum ones.I not having trouble with them and will just wear them out.They will be the next plugs I buy.Best mix of durability and conductivity sign me up for that program.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 60
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD cam ported

Postby Leeann_93 [OP] » July 24th 2011, 7:48pm

Went out to replace both upstream oxygen sensors. 98° and 55% humidity at 10:00 am. Yay...

Did the driver's side first. Again, whatever moron installed them, installed them dry. And very, very tight. Sprayed with PB, tapped, sprayed again, tapped...waited, then heated the bung with the MAPP gas torch. Crreeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkk, it finally came loose. Well, sorta loose - had to use the 18" bar until it was on the last thread. The bottom has the white stuff on it, more than the downstream sensor did. According to the book, that's unapproved silicone rtv contamination.
01_DriverOldvNew.jpg
01_DriverOldvNew.jpg (130.96 KiB) Viewed 473 times

And the new, installed with plenty of the included anti-seize (it has glass beads in it that stay despite the heat)
02_DriverInstalled.jpg
02_DriverInstalled.jpg (122.74 KiB) Viewed 473 times

As for the passenger side, well, I can't even see it without contorting the heck out of myself. Some idiot installed the new converter about 6" further forward than stock - it's actually half under the heat shield, half in front. That takes away all room/sight to work on the stupid thing. Makes it really hard to do anything but touch it blindly, actually. Sprayed with PB, using the straw, several times. Whacked it a couple times, but couldn't get a good swing. Pulled out the impact wrench, put the offset socket on the thing and used the 9" extension bar and let the impact hammer give it a few good blows. Waited, used the MAPP gas torch as well as possible on the bung, then tried with the 24" bar. Yeah, right....not even with both hands on the end, pulling as hard as I could with my body braced against the tire. Nada. Sprayed, heated, sprayed, heated, sprayed, heated....nada.

Passenger side beat me. I haven't a clue how to get it off. The code was for bank 1, fortunately, but I'd really like to have 3 matching sensors on the thing. And know that I can get them off in the future....

And then it got a bit cloudy and there were lots of thunder-booms, so it was time to put away the toys. I did put the scanner on it and clear the codes. Checked again, now I'm getting the P0452 (fuel tank pressure sensor low) and, suddenly, a P0300. Guess I do have to check the wires better after all - the scanner's misfire check says misfire on both 1 & 2.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full years

Postby cowboydan » July 25th 2011, 2:03am

Phantom wrote:In 2002 the iridium plug became standard on many GM vehicles ,and every year after that the list became longer and longer for it being the standard issue plug. The last time I tried to show this article ; someone who refused to research anything tried to proclaim they were a gimmick and created an argument , no need for that again ,

i have been using ngk iridiums since '98, so it wasn't me lol.
i also have 35k on the set for my van... i love them. who ever it was clearly didn't study metal properties in school.... or said person cough failed cough
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): cbd
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

Postby Leeann_93 [OP] » July 26th 2011, 3:46am

Well, I re-learned a lesson tonight. When I replaced the plugs, I didn't do the wires. Why? Because it was 105° with 65% humidity Saturday. I was overheated, sweaty and dehydrated (no matter how much water I drank), and didn't want to spend another minute outside.

Tonight I was reminded why you don't do that (haven't done it in over 10 years). Got misfires on 1, 4 and 6 and shook so bad at idle I couldn't stand it. Why? Because the wires were bad and it was humid enough - 91% since we got storms through this afternoon - to magnify the problem. Mostly old, but the boot on #1 was cracked despite the care I took and I simply didn't see it Saturday. Replaced the wires, cleared the codes, started her up and she ran smooth as silk at all throttle positions.

Now I just have to figure out the fuel tank pressure/evap system problem. Whether it's the fuel tank vent, the filler neck, the evap/vent lines...I haven't a clue.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby Leeann_93 [OP] » July 27th 2011, 2:03am

Checked all the evap/vent connections on the driver's side near the canister and vent valve. All is good, tight and clean. Replaced the gas cap as the check valve was good, but the gasket is all cracked.

Decided to check the rear diff while I had it up on all 4 ramps and I'm glad I did...and wish I had done so earlier. It took almost a quart of gear oil (with no visible leaks).

Cleared the codes, took it for a drive to get cold beer. Ran great....smooth, powerful, fuel economy (I saw 23 mpg steady on the instant screen while cruising at 56 mph). I still have the P0452, though.

Then I replaced the fuel filter on the '94 Ford Tempo that my best friend's husband will be driving when he returns the Bravada (gift from the in-laws). Less than a month old and I poured out a filter full of rusty mud. No wonder it cut out just up the road from my house; it was fuel starved! It had sat in their yard for 3 years, but had been gone over twice by a Ford mechanic (he was the shop manager at a Ford dealership before he opened his own shop) prior to it coming up here. Now why wouldn't he drop the tank and clean out the old gas and crud? All he did was run it a little, change the fuel filter and pronounce it good to go. Hmph.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby Lumpy » July 27th 2011, 2:45am

Leeann, your van reminds me of that old story -

"This axe has been in my family for 4 generations.
It's had 3 axe heads and 4 handles and it's still going strong."

... :rolling:

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 153
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 9 in. lift Camo

Postby Leeann_93 [OP] » July 27th 2011, 3:09am

:rolling:
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby Leeann_93 [OP] » July 28th 2011, 4:14pm

Here comes the true test....driving it to Michigan this afternoon. Back Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes ;)
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » July 28th 2011, 4:30pm

Leeann_93 wrote:Here comes the true test....driving it to Michigan this afternoon. Back Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Good luck.Pullin for ya
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 60
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD cam ported

Postby 93xtmoney » July 28th 2011, 10:34pm

Good luck
93 Safari XT awd slt with the GMC touring package a.k.a. Money Machine
5000K foglights, type R headlights 7000K, clear corners, APC black euro tail lights,
93xtmoney
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 93xtmoney has been a member for 4 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 4 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 4 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 25
Extra Info: Xt AWD

Postby Leeann_93 [OP] » July 29th 2011, 5:37am

Ran awesome, drove better than the Bravada. Got 18.5 mpg average, through the mountains and flats. Temp never went above 198°, even on the steepest/highest hill on the PA Turnpike. Oil pressure never went below 40. Life is good ;)

Drove through a torrential downpour on the PA Tpke, never missed a beat, hydroplaned or slipped. Did have to slow to 45 mph just to see :shock:
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby Leeann_93 [OP] » August 3rd 2011, 3:01am

Ran just as awesome on the way home. Got 18.41 for the trip, driving between 70 and 75 the whole way, except through the construction zones (which were frequent).

Temperature and oil pressure never wavered. It definitely ran better, with more power, than the Bravada, especially up the hills.

I wish the cruise control worked, but the connector under the hood is securely connected and there's nothing. Not sure if the stalk is dead or if there's a problem somewhere in between, but no cruise. Got the passenger seat adjusted while we were up there. Had to clamp a pair of pliers on the ball soldered onto the end of the pull wire, then pull the lever (the pliers added enough length to make the adjuster work). My assistant then adjusted the seat to fit...though I wish he'd adjusted it one click further back. The idiot who assembled the seat put the levers on both so that they hang to the floor. I didn't bring torx bits, so I'll have to do that at some point soon here.

Next step: inspection. Quickly. Plates expire on the 5th.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby crazedfox » August 4th 2011, 9:56am

Ok,
__I've sat here & read the whole thread all in one sitting.
& all I have to ask is...
Where the heck did you get your anti-sway bar bushing kit at?
I can't find a bushing kit for mine anywhere.
Some choose to shift.
While others, choose not to.

98' Astro AWD W-Eng. code.
crazedfox
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: crazedfox has been a member for 3 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 3 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Extra Info: AWD

Postby WoodButcher » August 4th 2011, 11:36am

WoodButcher
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 3 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 3 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 3 full years
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD

Postby Leeann_93 [OP] » August 4th 2011, 12:51pm

Got mine at my local parts house. They had it on the shelf.

Dropped the Safari off at the inspection place last night. I'll hear today...
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby WoodButcher » August 5th 2011, 1:00am

Leeann_93 wrote:Dropped the Safari off at the inspection place last night. I'll hear today...

:pray: :pray: :pray:
WoodButcher
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 3 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 3 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 3 full years
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD

Postby redfury » August 5th 2011, 1:27am

Good luck, not that you'll need it :wink:
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L3)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 3 full yearsredfury has been a member for 3 full yearsredfury has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 43
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

PreviousNext