Pics of the 'new' '99 Safari XLE AWD

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Re: Pics of the 'new' '99 Safari XLE AWD

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! [OP] » August 24th 2011, 12:50pm

Thanks, Dirk!
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online!
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Teal Status (L7)
Teal Status (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 21
Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! [OP] » August 25th 2011, 9:37pm

Yesterday, the bf bent the sheet metal behind the right rear wheel back down mostly into position, then wire-tied the gold cladding to it so it'll stop flapping in the wind. Much better.

Tomorrow, we get to use it to transport all the work computers to my boss' house to get them safe for the hurricane. The roof at work is 21 yrs old, flat, rubber over steel and leaks like a sieve. And, since we had an earthquake the other day, who knows where it's leaking now?
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Teal Status (L7)
Teal Status (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full years

Postby zombie{[six]} » August 25th 2011, 9:49pm

I wish this this forum had a 'Like' button, lol
ImageImage
------Vondoom (V8) -----------------The Pig (V6)------
zombie{[six]}
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: zombie{[six]} has been a member for 6 full yearszombie{[six]} has been a member for 6 full yearszombie{[six]} has been a member for 6 full yearszombie{[six]} has been a member for 6 full yearszombie{[six]} has been a member for 6 full yearszombie{[six]} has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 45
Extra Info: Cargo Body

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! [OP] » August 26th 2011, 11:20pm

The Safari stranded me today. Got home from work early, ran down to the propane place to get the spare tank refilled, shut 'er off to go in and pay and, when I came back out, NADA. Gauge lights and power, but no starter at all - no click, no nuthin'.

Waited an hour for the bf to finish writing up this afternoon's HVAC job and get home - 45 mins away. It's miserably hot and humid here and the Safari was in the sun, so that was fun. The bf jumped the starter to get it running. Got it back here and did the troubleshooting (the flowchart sucks, by the way - the electrical diagram made MUCH more sense once I found it). We suspected the NSS or the wiring to it, but it turns out to be the ignition switch. The bf was kinda mad at the flowchart dude because he could've jumped the starter at the starter relay, in the underhood fuse & relay center, if the referenced wiring diagram had a stinkin' page number - or any kind of hint where to find it. No need to get under the van.

I'll pick it up later to put in tomorrow, once we get our hurricane readiness stuff done. We have to move stuff out from under the scary trees, back to where there are less scary or no trees. Need to put the RV with the generator as close to the house as possible (tank's already full and we test-ran it today). Need to tarp the top of the RV so it won't leak. Need to extend the pipe from the 2nd sump pump out into the yard so it doesn't just run through the bad mortar around the basement steps and rush back in to the basement....

Phew.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Teal Status (L7)
Teal Status (L7)

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! [OP] » August 29th 2011, 12:38am

Just to tick me off, it isn't the ignition switch. But I did have to tear it down that far to find that out, so I guess it's all good.

There are 2 external Torx screws that hold the old switch in place (and 2 that hold the upper shroud in place). One I could get with the 1/4" E4 socket, the other I could not. So we cut off the bottom bit from the socket and welded it to a crappy phillips screwdriver - now that worked.

NewTool-1.jpg
NewTool-1.jpg (161.33 KiB) Viewed 647 times

NewTool-2.jpg
NewTool-2.jpg (129.66 KiB) Viewed 647 times

NewTool-3.jpg
NewTool-3.jpg (69.69 KiB) Viewed 647 times

Put the new switch in and the same thing happens - all the lights come on, the key in the switch bell dings, but no go on the starter. Disconnected it from the column and turned it with the key - vrooom. Wiggled the column-side piece and there's a ton of slop. I assume there are gears in there...whatever it is, it's too worn to work. Put the switch back up but didn't screw it in place, then turned the key while turning the switch towards the gauges. Vroom. Held the switch in place where the screws will hold it...nada.

It's the white piece with the tab in it in the below pic.
OffendingPiece.jpg
OffendingPiece.jpg (123.88 KiB) Viewed 647 times

Switch installed
newSwitch.jpg
newSwitch.jpg (113.83 KiB) Viewed 647 times

Now I need to find out how much that costs and how easy/hard it is....or just replace the column with one from the junkyard...
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Teal Status (L7)
Teal Status (L7)

Postby kennyj » August 29th 2011, 6:48pm

Hi Leeann,
Earlier this year I swapped out my steering column for one with tilt and cruise, and it's such an easy swap it may be easier than trying to repair one with problems. I got the new column from the pick and pull for $30, but for that price I didn't get a key so I had to figure out how to swap lock cylinders. It took a lot of googling but I finally found articles and video on how to extract a lock cylinder, which I could post for you.
The actual column swap is very easy, I got the j/y column out in about 15 minutes; probably take about an hour or so to do the swap in your van after you've got the donor column keyed.
ImageImage
kennyj
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: kennyj has been a member for 4 full yearskennyj has been a member for 4 full yearskennyj has been a member for 4 full yearskennyj has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 34
Alias (AKA): Kenny
Year: 1998
Extra Info: RWD 190k miles

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! [OP] » August 29th 2011, 8:35pm

Pics would be great, Kenny!

I'd really appreciate it. I didn't have time to run up there this week and probably won't on the weekend, either, so I just ordered the new housing. Now I get to find out how hard it is to swap (looks like 5 screws) and swap the key cylinder over.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Teal Status (L7)
Teal Status (L7)

Postby bakoff888 » August 29th 2011, 8:52pm

Good Buy for $900! Congratulations!
bakoff888
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: bakoff888 has been a member for 3 full yearsbakoff888 has been a member for 3 full yearsbakoff888 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Bakoff888
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: EXT RIP in 2006

Postby kennyj » August 30th 2011, 2:08pm

Pics would be great, Kenny!

I didn't take any pics myself. :oops: I just saved all the pdfs and video I found on how to extract the lock cylinder without a key, how to swap cylinders, and resetting the passlock.
ImageImage
kennyj
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: kennyj has been a member for 4 full yearskennyj has been a member for 4 full yearskennyj has been a member for 4 full yearskennyj has been a member for 4 full years

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! [OP] » August 30th 2011, 9:53pm

kennyj wrote:I didn't take any pics myself. :oops: I just saved all the pdfs and video I found on how to extract the lock cylinder without a key, how to swap cylinders, and resetting the passlock.

That works just as well ;)
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Teal Status (L7)
Teal Status (L7)

Postby crazedfox » August 31st 2011, 6:16am

I've,
__done my fair on removing lock cylinders.
Mostly from GM columns.

Believe thus is true that without thine key,
it be a hardship & more to switch out.
Some choose to shift.
While others, choose not to.

98' Astro AWD W-Eng. code.
crazedfox
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: crazedfox has been a member for 3 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 3 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Lumpy » August 31st 2011, 4:14pm

I had my lock cyl replaced by a locksmith when I first bought my 89.
35 bucks. Worth it to me. He's got all the pullers and what not.
I didn't have to rent tools etc.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 148
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 9 in. lift Camo

Postby kennyj » September 1st 2011, 12:04am

Lumpy, I'd say your locksmith treated you very fairly, although just a cylinder change with keys isn't too big a deal. If they have to deal with a missing/lost key it's going to be a lot more. Just for the new part(s), for a gen2 van I found aftermarket cylinders for sale online from $25 to $50; I'm gonna guess the locksmith price is a little higher.

Leeann, I'll do a write-up on the steering column/lock thing as soon as I get a chance. I'll make it a new topic so's not to mess up you thread.
ImageImage
kennyj
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! [OP] » September 1st 2011, 4:15am

Got it all done tonight, including the Passlock relearn. I'll post pics and such tomorrow...too tired tonight.

Turned out to be a combo of all three: chafed wires on the ignition switch, worn plastic gears on the housing components and a worn-out key cylinder. Once I replaced all three, it starts like a dream!
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Teal Status (L7)
Teal Status (L7)

Postby astroknut » September 1st 2011, 9:13pm

congrats. Leeann.
I'll guess there's some work to be done :o
Nice pics
Knut
astroknut
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: astroknut has been a member for 3 full yearsastroknut has been a member for 3 full yearsastroknut has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): knut
Year: 1995
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD AC

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! [OP] » September 1st 2011, 10:11pm

Took a bit, but I got it all done last night. I had to replace the ignition switch, the key cylinder and the housing they mount to. All three had problems: the ignition switch had chafed wires, the key cylinder was worn out and the housing they mount to had extremely worn gears (when you turn the key, plastic gears turn to turn the actual ignition switch).

Turn the wheel 90° and push a screwdriver into the slot at the back. Put the tip at the bottom of the slot, then push the handle down - you're pushing a lever to release it from a pin. Once that side of the airbag pops, do it to the other side (there are only 2).

Next, unscrew the horn stuff - 2 Torx bolts on each side - and pop out the connector (just pull). Then you need to unscrew the steering wheel nut and remove the wheel using a steering wheel/harmonic balancer puller (there are 2 bolt holes in the wheel the bolts screw into). Make SURE you mark the steering wheel and the shaft so you reinstall in the same place. I had locked the wheel with the wheels straight, but I still marked both pieces with paint marker.
01_PullingWheel.jpg
01_PullingWheel.jpg (155.38 KiB) Viewed 615 times

Under the steering wheel is the airbag coil, held in by a retainer clip. Use snap-ring pliers to remove the clip, then remove the coil. Underneath is a wave washer; remove that also.
02_AirbagCoil.jpg
02_AirbagCoil.jpg (125.05 KiB) Viewed 615 times

03_CoilRetainer.jpg
03_CoilRetainer.jpg (125.76 KiB) Viewed 615 times

Next is the lockplate. Compress the lockplate, remove the clip with little screwdrivers (no snap-ring pliers here) and remove the lockplate
04_RemovingLockplate.jpg
04_RemovingLockplate.jpg (144.65 KiB) Viewed 615 times

Now're you're down to the housing - 2 Torx screws on the front, one on the side
05_LockplateOff.jpg
05_LockplateOff.jpg (98.34 KiB) Viewed 615 times

Put a little screwdriver into the tab hole and remove the gear indicator from the back of the housing
06_GearIndicatorOff.jpg
06_GearIndicatorOff.jpg (95.5 KiB) Viewed 615 times

And unscrew the 3 Torx screws and remove the housing from the column
07_SwitchCylinderHousingOff.jpg
07_SwitchCylinderHousingOff.jpg (113.42 KiB) Viewed 615 times

08_Off-Side.jpg
08_Off-Side.jpg (129.24 KiB) Viewed 615 times

I initially removed the old key cylinder from the old housing and installed it into the new one (there's a little hole into which you stick an awl and turn the key to start, then back to run and pull the cylinder out), but the key cylinder was also worn out, so I had to remove it and install a new one. The new one had a serious burr where they'd cut off the excess from a pin; that excess made it stuck in the bore and would do nothing. The burr is right next to the piece that moves when you insert the key; when that piece is down 1/8", no turn. When it's up flush with the housing, the key will turn. Had to file off the burr and punch it down so it wouldn't interfere with the cylinder turning or with that piece moving in any way.
10_NewCylinderBurr.jpg
10_NewCylinderBurr.jpg (104.18 KiB) Viewed 615 times

When you reinstall the housing to the steering column, it's very important to push the piece I'm pointing to back into its bore before you mount the housing. Failing to do so will keep everything from working....and there's a spring behind it, so be careful not to let it sproing around the van.
09_Important.jpg
09_Important.jpg (113.97 KiB) Viewed 615 times

When you get everything back together, you will need to do the Passlock relearn. Time consuming, but not hard. Turn the key to Run, then VERY BRIEFLY turn it to start - do NOT let the van start - and back to Run. Leave it in Run for 10 minutes; the Security light will flash for the full 10 minutes (mine turned solid for the last 10 secs or so before it went out). When it goes out, turn the key to Off and wait 10 seconds. Do it again - turn to Run, briefly to Start, back to Run for 10 minutes. Turn the key to Off, wait 10 seconds. Do it again. This time, when you turn the key to Run, the Security light should be solid as normal and the van should start and continue to run.

Other than the new cylinder and key being a bit stiff, everything worked great six times today. It'll wear in soon. Oh, and I sanded the horn contacts before I reinstalled the horn stuff, so they're shiny clean now.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Teal Status (L7)
Teal Status (L7)

Postby crazedfox » September 1st 2011, 10:34pm

kennyj wrote:If they have to deal with a missing/lost key it's going to be a lot more. Just for the new part(s), for a gen2 van I found aftermarket cylinders for sale online from $25 to $50; I'm gonna guess the locksmith price is a little higher.

You,
__know with late-model autos like these.
You can go to your local dealer, & get what they call a "code-cut key".
You bring in your title paper work, ID, & the vehicle that needs the key/s.
This can be alot more affordable than trying to change out a lock cylinder/s.

I've done this with two auto's before.
One was a 92' cavaler that came with no keys, & a damaged column lock-cyl.
So I went & got a code-cut key for the doors @ my local chevy dealer, key was about $7 or so.
Then went to my local bone-yard & got a column lock-cyl with key, cost was around $10.
Of course prices can vary per yard, & dealership. 8-)
Some choose to shift.

crazedfox
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: crazedfox has been a member for 3 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 3 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 3 full years

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! [OP] » September 1st 2011, 10:37pm

I can't speak for Kenny, but I changed my lock cylinder because it was worn out and wouldn't start the van. I'm assuming he did the same for the same reason.

Around here, however, the dealer won't touch they key for less than $30.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Teal Status (L7)
Teal Status (L7)

Postby crazedfox » September 1st 2011, 10:48pm

Ok,
__leeann. Are you saying you have the chip in your key?
Or is it just a simple key?

Because chip embedded keys cost around $30 or more.

P.S. You forgot to mention to dis-connect the battery, before working on the air-bag system.
The air-bag is very sensitive to voltage. Cation is a priority with these systems.
So please people, be careful. The air-bag does have a explosive within, & must be treated as such.
Last edited by crazedfox on September 1st 2011, 10:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some choose to shift.

crazedfox
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! [OP] » September 1st 2011, 10:52pm

Nope, simple key.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Original Poster [OP]
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Teal Status (L7)
Teal Status (L7)

PreviousNext