Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

found a parts vehicle

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  MI_Ghost 
#1 ·
I was talking to someone on facebook and found a 89 GMC truck I can take parts from. The truck was running and driving and the transfer went bad so her husband took the transfer out to rebuild it and he passed away before it got finished. I have no info on the truck yet but should no more by tomorrow afternoon. I will take pictures when I get to the truck. I am hoping its a V8 so I can get the Y pipe.

#2 ·
OK so here are the pictures of the truck I can scavenge for free. It is a 1989 GMC 2500 4x4 truck with a 350 TBI engine 700R4 trans. The truck has tilt steering which is great cause mine is messed up so I will take the truck column and pull the parts to repair mine. The truck has 200+ thousand miles so if the engine turns over by hand I will eventually rebuild it with vortec heads and drop her in my van then sell the stock 350 from my van. I will start with the Y pipe and the steering column then work on the engine prep to pull.

Attachments

#5 ·
the front axle assembly s gone everything else is there from what I have seen so far. the rear axle would be a problem since its sitting on kind of a hill and the jackstands are sinking. I will add a few more stands till I am done though, I like living. lol Yes I can measure but not sure how to.

#6 ·
Well it took me over 2 hours to get the truck back up on the jack stands using a few jacks and jack stands and a huge section of wood beam that is 8 inches thick by 18 inches wide and 2 feet long. I have two of these chunks of beam just for such occasions. Anyway the bolts that hold the Y pipe in place are rusted and since I do not wish to break them I gave up till next trip there in which I will brings some PB blaster. The steering column I totally forgot to put the tools for that in the tool bag so I started unbolting the brackets and TBI and such since I plan on yanking the engine for a rebuilder. I will leave the heads and intake behind since I will be going vortec.I will post a few more pictures later this week. Thanks for reading, Mark

#8 ·
The steering knuckle? is that the placed where the steering column connects to the rest of the steering? like if I were to want to remove the steering column there is a bolt that holds the upper shaft to the lower assembly? I won't be going back for a few days we are getting more rain Thursday and tomorrow I have a doctors appointment.

#9 ·
No. The part that the front brake rotor is hanging off of. It is the same as the spindle between the upper and lower control arms. You can see it in the front wheel well in the first pic.

The term steering knuckle might be confusing you. When the spindle which the brake rotor and bearings are mounted on is removable as in the 4WD. It is commonly called a knuckle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.