DEX-COOL Coolant: Good or Evil?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

DEX-COOL Coolant: Good or Evil?

Postby Bis [OP] » April 28th 2011, 11:24am

So I am here reading the 2001 Astro manual and I see a lot of preaching from GM's part regarding the use of DEX-COOL coolant.
Given the fact that they are pushing for it so hard, I did a quick Google search to find out what the big deal is, the findings were not all that positive. There is a lot of controversy surrounding the product. I looked in the forum for a related topic and was surprised to not see anything, therefore I wanted to ask some of the long-time Chevy/GM owners:

• What type of coolant fluid you use in your vehicle?
• Can the cooling system be damaged by using standard (green) coolant?
• Are there any confirmed horror stories from forum users that link back to the use of DEX-COOL?

Thank you.
✔ Recovering 3-Time ex-Aerostar owner since 1996.
✔ RC Hobbyist and Dance music nut.
✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Original Poster [OP]
Bis
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Bis has been a member for 3 full yearsBis has been a member for 3 full yearsBis has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 29
Alias (AKA): Bis
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: DEX-COOL Coolant: Good or Evil?

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » April 28th 2011, 12:34pm

Bis wrote:So I am here reading the 2001 Astro manual and I see a lot of preaching from GM's part regarding the use of DEX-COOL coolant.
Given the fact that they are pushing for it so hard, I did a quick Google search to find out what the big deal is, the findings were not all that positive. There is a lot of controversy surrounding the product. I looked in the forum for a related topic and was surprised to not see anything, therefore I wanted to ask some of the long-time Chevy/GM owners:

• What type of coolant fluid you use in your vehicle?
• Can the cooling system be damaged by using standard (green) coolant?
• Are there any confirmed horror stories from forum users that link back to the use of DEX-COOL?

Thank you.

there are mixed reviews on that one.i use the green stuff and have for years.Everything clean as a whistle no problems.I flush my system every 2 years.i had a problem with it before they reformulated it.Only get one chance with me.i just put a motor in a 2002 buick that had that stuff(dex-cool) in it last week.Seems something ate all its gaskets up(head gaskets)and it blew up.same thing that happened to me years ago.Coincidence?Others swear by it.I just dont trust it anymore.the green stuff causes scaling in system.6 of one half a dozen of the other.Personally I would rather flush something out periodically than find water in my oil.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 60
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD cam ported

Postby Phantom » April 28th 2011, 6:50pm

Nearly a decade ago when it was first released on the market there was some problem with it , but it was reformulated about 8-9 years ago and has shown itself to be a good product . Car makers put it in their high dollars cars , I have seen cars that cost 200 Grand using the stuff , but the simple logical sensible thing to do is , change your coolant regularly , no more than 2 years and use only distilled water when mixing , tap water is not filtered and has contaminates in it that can contribute to scale build up in the cooling system . The orange stuff is safer for metals and the ground and your pets , if your dogs a cats drink the green stuff it will kill them , ,
Antifreeze costs 10-12 bucks a gallon , certainly you can afford that once a year!
Problems result when not regularly maintaining your vehicle , including the cooling system . The green stuff was never promoted to use for 5 years , cooling system problems will develop if you leave in the green stuff for that long , Radiators today are made from aluminum and plastic these days , not copper and metal tanks like back in the 70's.

The orange stuff was promoted to use for 5 years , it may or may not , if you use distilled water it has a better chance of lasting that long but why risk it when it only cost 25 bucks to keep your system clean and in great condition?
It really doesn't matter which you use as long as you change it regularly and use distilled water you will avoid problems .

I use the Dexcool for many years in all my vehicles and never had any problem ,
I do notice that when people who use the green stuff and tap water and then when they need a radiator replaced because of the corrosion they don't lay blame on the coolant , as they have always thought it was normal ,
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 15

Postby Bis [OP] » April 29th 2011, 12:48am

I appreciate your advice guys. Good to know about the tap water. And excuse my ignorance: is distilled water readily available? Where do you usually buy it?
✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Original Poster [OP]
Bis
Years of Membership: Bis has been a member for 3 full yearsBis has been a member for 3 full yearsBis has been a member for 3 full years

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » April 29th 2011, 12:51am

Bis wrote:I appreciate your advice guys. Good to know about the tap water. And excuse my ignorance: is distilled water readily available? Where do you usually buy it?

Grocery store will have it.
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full years

Postby Leeann_93 » April 29th 2011, 2:08am

chevymaher wrote:
Bis wrote:I appreciate your advice guys. Good to know about the tap water. And excuse my ignorance: is distilled water readily available? Where do you usually buy it?

Grocery store will have it.

Right next to the spring water.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 21
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby 01safari » April 29th 2011, 2:35am

I switched to the green when I did my intake gaskets. I had drained and filled the cooling system every few years prior to that. Don't know what role dexcool played in the intake failure. I just find it easier to use the green since my other cars use it also. I keep 2 gallons mixed with distilled water on hand, just in case I need it and don't have to go out and get some distillled water.
01safari
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: 01safari has been a member for 5 full years01safari has been a member for 5 full years01safari has been a member for 5 full years01safari has been a member for 5 full years01safari has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 11
Extra Info: RWD

Postby TaxiVan » April 29th 2011, 10:24am

DEX-Cool is evil!!! :screaming:

Ignore the so-called 5-year lifespan, it becomes corrosive at 2-3 years and I have seen it ruin several engines. The 4.3, fortunately, is one of the few engines that can be switched to ethylene glycol antifreeze with no ill effects. HOWEVER... make sure you flush the ENTIRE system fully with pure water before putting the ethylene glycol antifreeze in... if the two mix in the same system, it will form mud and clog up the entire system. My previous 2000 Safari had non Dex-Cool in it before I bought it and had no problems. My current 98 had non Dex-Cool as well, but I have noticed my rear heat blows cold air, so I am not sure if I have a clog or not.
"Don't worry what others think... they don't do it that often!"
Daily Driver / Taxicab: '98 GMC Safari SLT AWD
Taxi blog @ http://anomaly-va.blogspot.com
Also a singer/rapper/songwriter - Look for "Allergic To Air" on FB, MS and YT!
TaxiVan
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: TaxiVan has been a member for 4 full yearsTaxiVan has been a member for 4 full yearsTaxiVan has been a member for 4 full yearsTaxiVan has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 64
Alias (AKA): James
Year: 1998
Extra Info: SLT AWD 3.73 G80

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » April 29th 2011, 1:00pm

TaxiVan wrote:DEX-Cool is evil!!! :screaming:

He said evil thats funny I dont care who you are. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: dont hold back tell us how you really feel :thumbup:
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Phantom » April 29th 2011, 8:14pm

TaxiVan wrote:DEX-Cool is evil!!! :screaming:

Ignore the so-called 5-year lifespan, it becomes corrosive at 2-3 years and I have seen it ruin several engines. The 4.3, fortunately, is one of the few engines that can be switched to ethylene glycol antifreeze with no ill effects. HOWEVER... make sure you flush the ENTIRE system fully with pure water before putting the ethylene glycol antifreeze in... if the two mix in the same system, it will form mud and clog up the entire system. My previous 2000 Safari had non Dex-Cool in it before I bought it and had no problems. My current 98 had non Dex-Cool as well, but I have noticed my rear heat blows cold air, so I am not sure if I have a clog or not.

It is not nearly as corrosive as the green stuff at the same time period of age ,
think about it, when car makers put a 7-10 years warranty on their drive train parts including engine it would not make a logical sense to put a product in at the factory that would cause corrosion and cause any damage in 2-3 years and have to have the warranty parts to be paid for by the car maker . When maintained properly the inside of the radiator will be cleaner with dexcool than the green stuff , I have seen this reguarly ,

True simple routine maintence is the answer , the only time I have seen any problem with dexcool is when the owner neglegted to change it ,, if you neglect your car maintence it will have a problem , if you wait too long to change engine oil it is not the oil that caused any problem , just the lack of care by the owner

People who claim that dexcool ruined any engine never ever have any proof of it , just hearsay and no facts
:violin:
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years

Postby Bis [OP] » May 2nd 2011, 1:38pm

DEX-COOL, why are you so controversial? :think:
✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Original Poster [OP]
Bis

Postby crazedfox » May 18th 2011, 11:15am

It's,
__true to the fact it was messed up in the beginning.
But since the reform' it's a lot better.

Little tip: when switching to Dex-cool for the 1'st time.
Flush it out after 2yrs.
After the first switch, Dex-cool is "soaking-in" to a point.
It's about the whole chemical exchange of the metal surface
between the old Green coolant & the new Dex-cool.

After the "1'st" change, you can go to the full 5yr runs.
Just be sure to check it every 15000mi. or once a year for maintenance sake.
Some choose to shift.
While others, choose not to.

98' Astro AWD W-Eng. code.
crazedfox
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: crazedfox has been a member for 3 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 3 full yearscrazedfox has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Extra Info: AWD

Postby AstroWill » May 28th 2011, 12:13am

I always thought that it was Death-Cool ;)
Best Regards,
Will
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1990 Provan Tiger GT V8 Pop-up http://goo.gl/SNChE 2003 White AWD POS http://goo.gl/9csvu
Blue 00 and Brown 99 sold
AstroWill
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 5 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 5 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 5 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 5 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): Will
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD POS

Postby alexalexanders » May 28th 2011, 9:22pm

I have always heard dex-cool has nothing to due with gaskets goin out as long a s you follow regular flushes. I been told that its the differences in the metals like cast iron blocks with aluminum heads the heads cool down faster that than the block. Not saying this is fact or fiction just passing along.
ImageImage
2000 GMC Safari SLE
alexalexanders
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: alexalexanders has been a member for 4 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 4 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 4 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 80
Extra Info: SLE 4.3 Vortec

Postby AstroWill » June 7th 2011, 6:47pm

But if it were due to the dissimilar metals, then it would happen regardless of the coolant used.
Best Regards,
Will
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1990 Provan Tiger GT V8 Pop-up http://goo.gl/SNChE 2003 White AWD POS http://goo.gl/9csvu
Blue 00 and Brown 99 sold
AstroWill
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 5 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 5 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 5 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 5 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): Will
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD POS

Postby Leeann_93 » June 7th 2011, 10:12pm

It's mostly the poor design of the gaskets used in manufacturing. The upgraded aftermarket and GM gaskets are designed better and don't disintegrate when they contact Dex-Cool.

Added to that, they recommended coolant flushes at 5 (!) years - which no one did, but the damage was already done. Really should be done every 2 years.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 21
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » August 5th 2011, 2:52am

I got a car to work on today overheating.Took it apart,Hoses etc.Did a flush on it.All this orange slime came out.Almost a sand.Filled the overflow tube and turned to sand.Hardened in the bottom of the overflow bottle blocking it to.Same with the radiator.Looked like orange pancake batter.Not saying I know what it is,or how it got that way, but it scary stuff.
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Lumpy » August 5th 2011, 8:10am

It's Devil poop. I had it in my engine and it looked like what maher described.
That was only 10,000 miles on the new engine, build and installed by GM.

I exorcised it and put in green juice.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 152
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 9 in. lift Camo

Postby Phantom » August 5th 2011, 7:17pm

Everyone has the right to preference , but when making conclusive statements it only seems logical to have some sort of evidence to back it up .

Nearly 3 years ago(a few months yet) I replaced the radiator , water pump , and coolant recovery bottle on my car , spent about a month researching all the stuff I had heard about the orange stuff , After not finding anything that is evidence in fact that proves dexcool to be bad in any recent years , I filled my system with Prestone dexcool and have never done anything with it since , and now it is still in Great condition , no sand no problems of any kind , it still looks like new , I never got that kind of service time with the green stuff ,

Perhaps years of neglect with other vehicles is what is showing up ,

Also it could be that some people do not use the proper water to coolant mixture ratio , using more coolant than water than the recommended ratio amounts only decrease that ability for the product to do its job properly , it needs proper water ratio to do the job right .

Simple logic is , when GM and other car makers use a 7-10 year full warranty , or 100,000 mile warranty , it would be truly foolish for any car maker to put in a coolant that they knew would cause system failure or any problems that they would have to pay for and lose money on warranty service .

If there was any evidence that could support dexcool being a bad product , simple logic would be to put in the green stuff at the factory instead of dexcool ,,after all the same companies that make the green stuff , also make Dexcool

As simple as it would be to change coolant type at the factory and yet they choose dexcool , is evident that there is nothing wrong with dexcool
look at the cost of cars today , it just doesn't make financial sense for a company to continue to use a product year after year millions of cars later if the product would be the cause of problem.

The cause of the problem as with many vehicles problem is simply

Owner Negligence , not doing regular routine maintenance, putting it off thinking they are either saving money in not doing it , cannot afford to do it, or only do service work when the vehicle breaks down

There is a good reason they call it Preventative Maintenance Schedule :)
Phantom

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » August 6th 2011, 1:54am

I am claiming nothing just reporting what I found.Whether they did not mix it right or neglected maintenance on thier vehicle I dont know and I dont care.All I do know is every time I run into this damage it orange.Straight green, straight water, any mixture in between, with or with out maintenance at all, I have never seen anything equal.First 2 pics are the sandy mixture which came out of overflow tube.third is where orange slime stuck to log in yard from radiator and dried.forth the mess that came out of engine staining the concrete.As for any proof there plenty of both types of garbage out there I can pick up by hand if any one wants a sample to analyze.My brother has no problems with his Tahoe I know alot of people who never had problems.But for those unfortunate people who do and come to me because of it. This is always death to the engine soon afterward.And I had it happen to 2 of my own.I dont treat the engines that come the orange any different than I do the ones that come with green.
orange 1.jpg

orange 2.jpg

orange slime.jpg

orange carnage.jpg
Team Leader
Team Leader

Next