Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Van Insurance. Travel and at home

652 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  astroracer 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm planning a day trip to Mexico and was looking at insurance for the van. I'm still young and luckily covered by my father so I have no experience with insurance. I learned that KKB is the the general pricing tool when looking to purchase a van and certainly paid more than the value of my car, 98' AWD Safari. I've barely even invested a fraction of what most of you have but I'm just wondering how these investments are valued. Say the car was bought for 4K, 2k in repairs and then 1k on working on the interior etc., is the car worth $7000 or does the insurance company value it at $3000 still(according to KKB) I'm trying to get the insurance for Mexico and am wondering if I put the minimal amount or what I believe the value is. Also want to know in general. Not like it's going to stop me from investing in the car but it will be nice to know how screwed I'd potentially be.

#3 ·
Most "muggle" car insurance companies will only insure a vehicle for Blue Book. ANYTHING you do to repair, maintain or customize is on you. The insurance companies are not going to cover the add ons.
There are insurance companies out there that will cover your vehicle for the price you deem it is worth. Haggerty's and Grundy's are a couple.
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.