Best place for Parts - Autozone or Rock Auto?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Best place for Parts - Autozone or Rock Auto?

Postby FLSafari [OP] » July 20th 2011, 11:37pm

Advice needed?
I'm looking to replace the 2 motor mounts & transmission mount on my 96 RWD. Locally, I buy my parts at Autozone. They are OK to deal with and their parts have been good so far. Just today I took my starter motor back to them for swapping out under the limited life warranty. I fitted it in 2004, it's started sticking after 7 years and I still had my receipt. They gave me another starter, no questions and with a further lifetime warranty so long as I have the van!
Back to the Mounts.. Autozone are asking $8.99 for each motor mount & $37.99 for the Rubber/Fluid Transmission Mount. The solid rubber mount is about $5.00 more. With FL Sales tax, my total comes to $59.89.
At Rock Auto online they are showing motor mounts for $3.86 each and a solid rubber transmission mount for $14.25. With Freight of $16.60, their total comes to $38.57. That's a $21.32 saving buying from Rock and not be ignored. That saving pays for one of the power window motors I have to buy next.
I've never ordered from Rock, so have no knowledge of them.
Where should I buy from?
Original Poster [OP]
FLSafari
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: FLSafari has been a member for 5 full yearsFLSafari has been a member for 5 full yearsFLSafari has been a member for 5 full yearsFLSafari has been a member for 5 full yearsFLSafari has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Chris
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: LSE 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Rock Auto AC Compressors
    by astronot » March 14th 2017, 4:03am in Climate Control
    5 Replies
    Last post by WoodButcher View the latest post
    March 15th 2017, 2:26am
  • Local Auto Parts Store (LAPS)
    by MK66 » January 4th 2017, 9:26am in Uncategorized
    31 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 8th 2017, 4:00am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 26th 2017, 3:48pm

Re: Best place for Parts - Autozone or Rock Auto?

Postby Phantom » July 21st 2011, 12:51am

rockauto usually has good stuff for a fair price ,, when i replaced the mounts on my car I tried to find the best quality mounts available ,, from what I could find and compared quality built wise ; the Anchor brand was the best that I could find , as most places only carried a couple brands ,, a couple were just like the factory original but when it came to the mount built with a short shock absorber on it I compared it , the factory GM mount was noticeably beefier with a larger diameter shock on it ; So I am not sure which to buy for the van ; i prefer a stout well built mount and will likely have to compare to see which is best quality built , the few dollars more is worth it to me for a better quality product .
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 6 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 6 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 6 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 6 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 6 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 15
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby paintdrying » July 21st 2011, 12:33pm

I have had good luck with rock auto. I only buy from autozone when I need it right now. Rock can get you your parts in a fast manner. I find parts online for cheaper than rockauto but I still go with rock because they have proven such a good outfit.
The problem is when you order the parts and 30 days goes buy and you have not installed them yet, you can not return them.
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 6 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 6 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 6 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 6 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 6 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 94
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby Lumpy » July 21st 2011, 6:28pm

Autozone:
Parts that I expect to or expect may wear out and need warranty replacing.
ie PS pump, hoses, steering gear etc. I used to look down on duralast parts
but I think that's because of buying a couple duralast TOOLS. Their tools seem like
cheap junk. But I've had very good luck with their eng/susp/brake components.
Their warranty is just way too simple. Just take it into any AutoZone and walk
out with the replacement. Hard to find parts are usually only a day (or less) away when
they have it sent from the distribution center. I would not hesitate to buy ball joints,
idler arms or other steering parts from Autozone/Duralast.

Rockauto:
I just bought my first stuff from them a couple days ago. As mentioned in another
thread, the price for new parts at RA was cheaper than for used at the U-Pull-It. RA
shipped in three separate shipments, which I think is typical. So you might end up paying
for shipping more than once. One of the shipments was somehow sent to someone in
New Jersey. Tracking shows it's on it's way back now to RA. That could be a FedEx problem,
it's hard to tell. I wouldn't hold that against RA.

Generaly, I like shopping online instead of driving all over town to get stuff.
I like that RA lists several brands and quality levels for it's parts. And they
certainly seem less expensive than anyone else.

PepBoys:
I buy motor oil there. Spark plugs, and other ign parts as long as I can
specify the brand (AC Delco plugs etc). I find the quality of their house brand
parts to be pretty poor. Pretty much every purchase gets you an invitation
to take their online survey. That gets you a coupon for 10% off next purchase.
And their rewards program gets you a $10 coupon with every $100 spent. That works
out just about right for my oil changes. I buy two at a time (10 qts Royal Purple) plus
some misc stuff (funnels, driveway absorb stuff etc) and that usually comes to just about
100 bucks. So their coupons bring that down to about 80. For some reason, my local PepBoys
seems to have tons of trailer hitch parts and even though I don't use it, tons of car wash/wax,
cleaner stuff. (I wash my truck with dishwash liq with a cup of kerosene added to the wash bucket)

Checker/Kragen/O'Reily:
My local store has the biggest selection of Dorman HELP stuff. For some reason,
they seem to have a better stock of things like "Fuel Injector electrical leads" and
other misc electrical/fuel line/vacuum line parts than the others. And I consider
their tools to be higher quality than the others, certainly higher than
Harbor Freight. So if I'm stuck for an oddball socket size, I'll just go there and buy
the one socket. They're the closest LAP to me, AutoZone is must a block further.
There's a cute girl that works at my local Checker. There's something strangly sexy
about asking a girl about an auto part for a Chev 4.3 and having her immediately ask
"Throttle Body or CPI?"

NAPA:
Oil/Air filters, that's about it. I bought a couple of door handles from NAPA when
the eBay/Chinese handles failed. NAPA's were Mexican and great quality. I just
ordered a door handle from RockAuto so when it gets here I'll see how it compares.
I bought a gas cap from NAPA when my truck failed smog one year. They were
conveniently across the street from the testing station. Price was fine. Part
was fine. I bought a PS pump once from NAPA but I didn't like the quality at all.
Parts missing, housing mis-aligned. When it came in, I didn't purchase it. I went
instead to AutoZone and got what I thought was a much better pump for
less moolah.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby jcmastro » July 21st 2011, 11:29pm

Advance auto has the best prices. Buy online, use the coupon codes (ie p20 is 20% off order) and pick up in store.

clipped from slick deals
20% off sitewide no minimum via code "P20"
$10 off orders of $30 or more via code "A123"
$20 off orders of $50 or more via code "A123"
$25 off orders of $60 or more via code "BIG25"
$30 off orders of $75 or more via code "BIG30"
$35 off orders of $85 or more via code "BIG35"
$40 off orders of $100 or more via code "DEALIO"
$50 off orders of $200 or more via code "BIG50"

Granted, Advanced may not always have the highest quality but many parts are the same between discount part houses.
jcmastro
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: jcmastro has been a member for 5 full yearsjcmastro has been a member for 5 full yearsjcmastro has been a member for 5 full yearsjcmastro has been a member for 5 full yearsjcmastro has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 2

Postby Phantom » July 22nd 2011, 1:08am

Typically AdvanceAuto carries more high quality parts than Autozone and some others , Autovalue often carries quality parts at competitive prices as well
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 6 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 6 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 6 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 6 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 6 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 15

Postby redfury » July 22nd 2011, 2:34am

Amazon.com worked nicely for my DELPHI radiator..$110 shipped to my door. You just can't beat that price anywhere new AND get a DELPHI part.

Gotta know where to shop and for what, every store has its merits. I won't goto OReilly's just because the people behind the counter at the two I have available are completely worthless.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby jcmastro » July 22nd 2011, 4:12am

oh yea, forgot Amazon. they can be surprising. Cheapest to my door by $40 for Timken hubs for my grand prix a few years back.
jcmastro
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: jcmastro has been a member for 5 full yearsjcmastro has been a member for 5 full yearsjcmastro has been a member for 5 full yearsjcmastro has been a member for 5 full yearsjcmastro has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 2

Postby 'cudapaul » July 22nd 2011, 4:46am

If you are buying motor mounts for that price you will probably be replacing them in a year or two. Or less.

The amount of work to change a mount isn't worth cutting the quality of the part.

I buy mine at the dealer with a discount, or order them online through a GM parts website.

As far as I'm concerned anything else is basically Chinese junk.

And BTW, I love Rock Auto and have been buying from them for years.
You just have to watch what you're buying.
'cudapaul
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 'cudapaul has been a member for 9 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 9 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 9 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 9 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 9 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 9 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 9 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 9 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA): 'cudapaul
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Big_kid » July 24th 2011, 5:42pm

Isn't Rock Auto a site sponsor here?

For engine mounts, I'm on the fence. In my Chevys I've not had a problem with what my FLAPS had in stock at the time (it's been years since I've bought any, and all the Chevys I did them in are gone now). The FLAPS mounts for the wife's Villager went bad before too long, I wound up going to a dealer to get OEM mounts & replaced them all at once and had no further troubles.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 138
Extra Info: 2WD conversion

Postby rev_les » July 25th 2011, 5:34am

I got about a year out of a set of autozone's lifetime warranty engine mounts....rather than make myself have to go through it again, I got the Anchor mounts from O'Reilys. they're not OEM, but you could look at them side by side and see they were a lot beefier than the Duralast or whatever they were. IIRC they're made in India.
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 8 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 8 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 8 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 8 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 8 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 8 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 8 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD