Scrap Metal Prices

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Scrap Metal Prices

Postby tedanderson [OP] » March 25th 2012, 12:15am

So I go into the scrap metal recycling place today to sell my old brake calipers. Together, they registered at 28lbs. on the scale. The guy behind the counter is grinning as he gives me $2 and a few random nickels and pennies.

And this made me wonder- Is this guy grinning because he's taking advantage of me and I don't know any better? I don't know if he is giving me the right amount of money.

Is there any way to check the industry or market prices of scrap metal to know if I am getting a fair deal?
Original Poster [OP]
tedanderson
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 5 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 5 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 5 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 5 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Scrap Metal Prices

Postby paintdrying » March 25th 2012, 1:06am

I would have wanted 3 dollars. I believe it is 280 per ton. With small loads I try and get 10 dollars for 100 pounds. I would have told him to just keep the money if they would smile where I go. It is some sort of industrial hell place where the ground is always muddy, it smells like diesel fuel and has this twisted metal vibe. The people that work there are always so unhappy. I always ask to see the scale numbers so as not to get cheated.
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 3 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 3 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 94
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby Big_kid » March 25th 2012, 2:37am

Doesn't sound out of line to me. On Feb 20th I brought in a load & was paid the following:

Stainless Steel: $.55
Aluminum: $.50
Aluminum cans: $.45
Contaminated aluminum: $.15
Electric motors: $.30
Steel: $.09
Batteries: $.20

I've never found anyplace online to check current pricing. The best I could find was a subscription service that wanted around $80 for a 3 DAY sub. You could always put an ad on Craigslist. It seems sometimes that every other ad in the wanted section is either someone looking for junk cars or someone looking to pick up scrap metal.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 77
Extra Info: 2WD conversion

Postby ProStreet_LS1 » March 25th 2012, 3:01am

Those prices look normal. Steel at 8-10 cents is normal. A car pays 13-14 cents a pound. It is best to have a vehicle and stuff it with scrap metal. A few years back, bought in an Astro stuffed full. It weighed a little over 5000 pounds. The extra 1300 pounds was good for $100 more than if we hadnt used the Astro
1985 pro street Chevy Astro: parted, scrapped & missed
1998 pro street Chevy Astro: 33x22 rear tires, 335 hp aluminum LS1 V8
PRO STREET 4 LIFE
ProStreet_LS1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 4 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 4 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 4 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 52
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS1 V8 Pro Street

Postby RECox286 » March 25th 2012, 3:22am

Prices change from day to day. It all depends on the metals market, just like the stocks on Wall Street.

I don't worry about the price, just load up the trailer when I think there is enough to fill it, then trade it in for money.

For the most part, scrap metal is found money. Not like you are buying it, but just collecting it from off the side of the

road.

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby paintdrying » March 25th 2012, 3:56am

The "big" yards up in Vermont change the price once a month. When I lived out west this Mexican guy would come by every now and again and buy all my metal for really good prices. I do not know if he understood he was paying me to clean my yard but we both walked away very happy.
paintdrying
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 3 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 3 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 3 full years

Postby MadMaxiVan » March 25th 2012, 5:19am

tedanderson wrote:So I go into the scrap metal recycling place today to sell my old brake calipers. Together, they registered at 28lbs. on the scale. The guy behind the counter is grinning as he gives me $2 and a few random nickels and pennies.

And this made me wonder- Is this guy grinning because he's taking advantage of me and I don't know any better? I don't know if he is giving me the right amount of money.

Is there any way to check the industry or market prices of scrap metal to know if I am getting a fair deal?

he was grinning because you basically brought nothing to the yard.
i cashed out a van the other day at 4000lbs and got 500 plus at 250 a ton
28 lbs is a speck in the scope of things.
that being said,my 2 tons was nothing compared to some of the loads that go thru there.

the real problem is that back a few years ago,when Countries were actually Buying steel,thats when scrap went up so high,people got crazy,and they still want too much money for their junk.

ps,when you go to Any scrapyard you have to watch them,they will give you dirty prices for clean stuff,underweigh you,whatever they can get away with.
forewarned is forearmed.
MadMaxiVan
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: MadMaxiVan has been a member for 2 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 20
Extra Info: 4.3 auto 2wd

Postby Lumpy » March 25th 2012, 5:56am

With scrap prices so low, it's amazing thieves will risk so much to steal installed copper wiring from buildings, air conditioners from roofs etc. The scrappers around here come around and cut the AC line cords off of appliances to add to their haul. I'm thinkin' it would take a lot of 5' copper zip cord to make a beer's worth of money.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 152
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 9 in. lift Camo

Postby a1towing » March 25th 2012, 6:28am

We throw out junk cars all the time, we get around 375+ for i.e Honda Civic...
a1towing
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: a1towing has been a member for 2 full yearsa1towing has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 3
Year: 2003
Extra Info: The Blue Mastodon

Postby paintdrying » March 25th 2012, 5:30pm

Let us not forget the classic help unloading the truck and not all of your load makes it to the scale. Scrap dealers are scum bags. Sorry no offense.
paintdrying

Postby tedanderson [OP] » March 26th 2012, 12:06am

This particular scrap yard actually requires that you load the scale yourself so that there is no discrepancy regarding the weight. If you don't get your stuff squarely on scale, it's on you.. even though it's probably advisable to weigh your stuff prior to arriving at the yard.

On one hand I'd like to think that the guys don't want to get a bad reputation but at the same time I was a little skeptical about whether I was being robbed blind.
Original Poster [OP]
tedanderson
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 5 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 5 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 5 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 5 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 5 full years

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » March 26th 2012, 1:09am

Our scrap yard you drive on the scale. Unload yourself. Then back on the scale.
I love the guys with scrap you can only get by stripping it out of houses.
3 blocks worth of houses. Funny I would think the demolition people took their own scrap. And they are not tearing down many houses around here. I also noticed the empty house next door no longer has a heat pump or copper pipes or wire. Up for sale and it all missing now. Coincidence I think not.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 60
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD cam ported

Postby ryyiann » March 26th 2012, 1:22am

i dont see how you could expect much more from so little
ryyiann
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: ryyiann has been a member for 2 full yearsryyiann has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): WRX Ryan
Year: 1992
Extra Info: CS RWD

Postby alexalexanders » March 26th 2012, 1:39am

Lumpy wrote:With scrap prices so low, it's amazing thieves will risk so much to steal installed copper wiring from buildings, air conditioners from roofs etc. The scrappers around here come around and cut the AC line cords off of appliances to add to their haul. I'm thinkin' it would take a lot of 5' copper zip cord to make a beer's worth of money.

Lump

Copper prices are alot higher then regular scrap prices, but as far as people stealing other metals doesn't make sense to me either.
ImageImage
2000 GMC Safari SLE
alexalexanders
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: alexalexanders has been a member for 4 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 4 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 4 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 80
Extra Info: SLE 4.3 Vortec

Postby paintdrying » March 26th 2012, 3:20am

Does not make sense? Uh! Really. Maybe they are just doing it for fun. People have become like crows where they take anything with a shine to it. Or maybe we are slowly falling into a lower and lower standard of living. People are stealing because they are desperate. Good thing we have a few safety nets left like unemployment and food stamps otherwise things would be really bad.
paintdrying

Postby tedanderson [OP] » March 26th 2012, 12:08pm

I imagine that it is relatively easy to steal copper out of a vacant house. All you have to do is just show up in your A/S van wearing boots, a pair of jeans, and a plaid shirt. Passers by will think that you are working on the house and think nothing of it.
Original Poster [OP]
tedanderson
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby MadMaxiVan » March 26th 2012, 1:54pm

all these posts are vivid proof of the scrap industries stranglehold on us scrappers.
they will screw you over in an Instant if they can get away with it,and even when they get Caught,its no big deal to them
because you are one person and they dont care.

the Most Annoying ( and highly illegal one would think ) daily happenings is when you bring say 5000lbs and the guy behind you brings 20,000 lbs.
and he gets paid a Better rate than you do,even tho you brought the exact same kind of load.

also,did yall know that scrappers dont have to pay taxes?
thats right,they have nothing to worry about from the IRS because uncle sam has to subpeona the Entire sales records of the companies just to catch one guy.
some of these guys are clearing over 100,000 a year and Claiming they dont even work..wtf.

and then,like others have posted,theres the dishonest scrappers.
for every one honest scrapper,theres at least 10 unscrupulous ones.
scrapping is a legitimate business populated by some very dark people.
i could tell you stories that would curl your hair.
youd never let a scrapper on your property again.

and this sucks,because some of us scrappers work Hard for a living and raised our children up on scrap.
i started back when cars were 25 dollars a ton.
now its 250 and you cant hardly find scrap and when you do the owner thinks its made out of gold.sigh...
MadMaxiVan
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: MadMaxiVan has been a member for 2 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 2 full years

Postby Lumpy » March 26th 2012, 3:21pm

MadMaxiVan wrote:
...the Most Annoying ( and highly illegal one would think ) daily happenings is when you bring say 5000lbs and the guy behind you brings 20,000 lbs.
and he gets paid a Better rate than you do,even tho you brought the exact same kind of load.

I can see how that might be annoying, but it's not in the least bit illegal or unethical. They are a private business, free to trade with anyone they wish, at any rate they wish. It cost them less to deal with one client with four times the material than it would to deal with four clients with 1/4 the weight. Imagine 20,000 clients all bringing in one pound as an extreme example.

They could give one client a better deal over another client for nearly any reason. Just like my grocery store gives me a discount for being a senior. My LAPS gives a veteran's discount. The local Irish pub gives a discount if you wear green on St Pat's day etc.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 152
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 9 in. lift Camo

Postby MadMaxiVan » March 26th 2012, 3:51pm

i cannot agree there. ( sorry )
it doesnt cost them Any different between me and the guy who brings more,Or less.
we all dump the same place,we all cash out the same way.
we all go across the same scale and unload the same.
noone is handling our stuff,it gets tossed in the pile.

so yes it is highly unethical and it should be illegal if it isnt.
its called unfair business practices.

and you went from deals to discounts,where i got lost quick?
what does discounts have to do with getting gouged?

mirrored example.
ill sell YOU two vans lump,for one price.
but ill sell HIM one van for More than the two vans.
even tho my Advertised Price is posted for both.
get my point?
MadMaxiVan
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby paintdrying » March 26th 2012, 6:23pm

I remember the day people would pay you to take their car away. I remember having to pull the gas tanks and crack out all the windows.
You can still find scrap, but their are now so many people doing it that it is not possible to make a living at it. You would make more just going over people's houses and cutting their grass. The scrap business is dead. It is another area of freedom we have lost in America.
I have black market connections for scrap, nothing illegal or like that. I have a way to move metal. In the future the cops will be doing sting operations not on drug houses, or prostitutes, but on scrappers.
Everything will be so regulated you will not be able to scrap an aluminum can with out the original receipt for that very can.
paintdrying

Next

Return to Uncategorized

It is currently September 17th 2014, 10:35pm

Uncategorized Forum
UncategorizedAn all-purpose area for Astro/Safari van related discussion. These forums typically contain van-related but ill-assorted topics unfit for any other category. General questions and information relating to Astro & Safari Vans only.
Moderators: Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online!, icebrrg3rd
To create a new topic in Uncategorized, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Recent Image Attachments
Attached by:
Ksmith
in Uncategorized
Views: 33688
Comments: 476
Date: Yesterday
Time: 9:09pm
» Read last comment