Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

What have you done with your other vehicles today.

236K views 3K replies 180 participants last post by  sixsix 
#1 ·
Since we all have other vehicles.
And we all basically work on our own stuff.
And we talk about it on the forum.
I modeled this thread after the infamous . "What have you done to your van today" Thread for just such emergencies and what not.

Well since my van is mothballed right now till warm weather. I been driving the truck. I having the same as the van did before. When it is this cold, 6-16 degrees the truck just don't get warm long. Heater suffering. I going to put a piece of cardboard in the radiator today. When you stop driving the temp gauge drops and the heater is Poo-Poo. And it is loading up from being cold and idling so much warming up. One good throttle application and it fine, but after a few days of kid glove idling around it just dont run the same.

Cutting and placing the cardboard all it getting for now. As my baby is hogging up the heat in the garage and she is not coming out. And I sure am not standing outside looking for and modifying a heater control valve in 15 degree weather. So I will deal with it when it gets to 40 degrees or above. For for now we are good.

If anyone feels I was wrong starting this thread. In my back yard I have a large supply of pitchforks and torches. Some rocks in a pile. Feel free to come by and run me out of town on a rail. We will be serving beverage of your choice and snacks before the stoning commences. Please RSVP promptly so I know to get additional pitchforks and torches. We have a unexhaustable supply of rocks. I hope everyone enjoys the event.

Thank You.
The soon to be stoned.
:whack:

See less See more
#2 ·
Sure, most of us have more than one vehicle, I have two others that serve me well. One is a 1985 Ford f-150 2wd 302cid, the other is my gas miser a 1988 Mercury Tracer 2 dr. 1.6ltr EFI that still gets 32mpg on the highway and about 24 city. I maintain all of my vehicles & have few issues. :D

#3 ·
Well I have a couple. A 1997 suburban lt with Im guessing close to 200,000+-. 5.7 350 ( I had to replace the odometer when I bought it) I run it almost everyday. I have to re do the brake lines on it soon. Gm didn't put the best lines on. I have the Subaru outback awd. I get about 23 mpg combined. I haven't had to do a lot with it yet and Im not looking forward to fixing anything on it. It has this little engine and a huge trans. I have to do the timing belt and water pump this spring.

Reactions: Jimmy H
#4 ·
Decided to put historic tags on my '93 Toyota Tercel - no emissions testing. 197,xxx miles and runs strong, gets good mileage, but marginal on emissions. So I'll put historic tags on shortly (current tags run out in Feb anyway).

Thought about what I'm going to do with the 2005 Jeep Liberty when I get it here (blown tranny), where I'm going to put it, etc.

Think I'm putting the '99 Safari and '93 Astro up for sale shortly and the '93 Bravada is going to head to the pick-n-pull.

Reactions: Jimmy H
#5 ·
took the 06 matrix to work, waited 45 mins for the guys.....sat there wondering why it always feels like its gonna stall at idle (5pd manual), feels right at 800rpm, likes to sit around 600rpm. (i'd ask the people on the matrix forum, but its full of a**holes.)

also, why the heck did i remove the sub-woofer from this car to put in the van? sounds way nicer in the matrix. but i think, dur to the added space in the van, and placment of sub (behind the second row facing forward as my 3rd row is in my garage, its what i drink beer on while working on the van) i think 2- 12" are in order. maybe under the secong row. guess i have to measure and make sure. I pretty sure i can get 3 - 10" angled under there.......

#6 ·
i have a 1984 Buick Regal Limited right now is just sitting on my back yard getting primer. today i sanded down the primer with 220 grit paper got rid of some low spots and if it doesn't rain on Saturday it will get primer again and do a final sand for paint.

getting stoned :eek:bscene-smokingweed:

#7 ·
Maher, are you sure you don't have a thermostat that is sticking open? It's been -13F here and short of it taking longer to actually heat up, I've got great heat in the van, and my wifes explorer, and my 300k Toyota Tacoma work truck. The fact that the temp drops makes me think this...it shouldn't run colder than what the t stat is supposed to regulate it at, unless your engine simply cannot produce heat...and we know that ain't true.

The Green Machine...you might want to clean the MAF on the Matrix if it hasn't been done since new, that could take care of that pesky idling problem.

#8 ·
Oh, forgot to talk about my other vehicle! The 96 Explorer ( v8 ) needs a new exhaust gasket between the cats ( it's got 4 of them! ) I thought it was a burned through pipe or one of the cats split, but the extreme cold temps pointed out exactly where that thing was leaking as I could plainly see the leak. The gasket broke and fell out. 13 bucks for a new one and of course, I have to order it. Too cold to worry about doing exhaust work, so I'll either have the local shop do it, or I'll take care of it when it gets back up to freezing temps during the day. this subzero garbage keeps me indoors unless absolutely necessary.

#9 ·
redfury said:
Maher, are you sure you don't have a thermostat that is sticking open? It's been -13F here and short of it taking longer to actually heat up, I've got great heat in the van, and my wifes explorer, and my 300k Toyota Tacoma work truck. The fact that the temp drops makes me think this...it shouldn't run colder than what the t stat is supposed to regulate it at, unless your engine simply cannot produce heat...and we know that ain't true.
I was thinking that to. It is, with the cardboard, reaching temp. Then dropping a little. At idle is isnt dropping like it was. And the heat is good now always the same. I was thinking it is working but really slow reacting. Sticking. But now that the water in the radiator is staying hotter the heater is blowing hot air all the time. Fixed for now. I sure am not doing it standing in the cold. New T-Stat when it warms up for sure.

#10 ·
I went to the JY today because I needed a mirror for my Aztek and an alternator for my Durango. The well organized and managed yards didn't have anything in stock so I went out to this "bargain" JY that just piles up the cars in the yard. They are so low-budget that they charge $1 to enter, make you sign a waiver, and then they say "good luck finding what you need" because they don't keep an inventory list. They just divide everything up by cars and truck.

Anyhow it was great because when I got to the truck section I found BOTH VEHICLES sitting side by side. I got the alternator and the mirror and I was done in less than 15 minutes! :banana: For a place that doesn't get too many A/S vans, they happened to have a bunch in the yard today. If I had more time and better tools, I would have picked up a dutch door.

#11 ·
Ragenme said:
I have the Subaru outback awd. I get about 23 mpg combined. I haven't had to do a lot with it yet and Im not looking forward to fixing anything on it. It has this little engine and a huge trans. I have to do the timing belt and water pump this spring.
Is that the one with an "interference" motor? I did that job on my kids subie, said a few prayers, crossed my fingers and toes before I turned the key. You see the valves are in the path of the piston when they are open so if you get it wrong you'll know the moment the engine turns once. If it fires your golden, if you hear a crunch,,, well, go get a new motor, it's toast.
I had a hanes manual and where it got to removing the belt cover it mentioned something about a skilled repairman...
I did the deed anyway, the patient lived.

#12 ·
tedanderson said:
I went to the JY today because I needed a mirror for my Aztek and an alternator for my Durango. The well organized and managed yards didn't have anything in stock so I went out to this "bargain" JY that just piles up the cars in the yard. They are so low-budget that they charge $1 to enter, make you sign a waiver, and then they say "good luck finding what you need" because they don't keep an inventory list. They just divide everything up by cars and truck.

Anyhow it was great because when I got to the truck section I found BOTH VEHICLES sitting side by side. I got the alternator and the mirror and I was done in less than 15 minutes! :banana: For a place that doesn't get too many A/S vans, they happened to have a bunch in the yard today. If I had more time and better tools, I would have picked up a dutch door.
Crazy Ray's? The one in Laurel?

/me loves Crazy Ray's...any of their yards....

#16 ·
Leeann_93 said:
tedanderson said:

Crazy Ray's? The one in Laurel?

/me loves Crazy Ray's...any of their yards....
They open another Crazy Rays in Haford county but I still like Hawkins point the most!

#19 ·
Leeann_93 said:
I go to Erdman Ave, my pressman goes to Hawkins Point.

I love the place...must go soon...
I used to live on Erdman,years ago. I used that location almost every weekend. Thats back when I was crazy enough to drive Caravans. Seemed something was broke all the time.

#20 ·
Ragenme said:
Leeann_93 said:
I go to Erdman Ave, my pressman goes to Hawkins Point.

I love the place...must go soon...
I used to live on Erdman,years ago. I used that location almost every weekend. Thats back when I was crazy enough to drive Caravans. Seemed something was broke all the time.
The bf had a Caravan when I met him. It never ran while I knew him until the junk man hauled it away...it needed its 4th fuel pump and 3rd tranny.

#21 ·
Ragenme said:
WoodButcher it is a interference motor. I am not looking forward to doing this job. I will take my time and replace it all. Its been a few years since I've done one.
You got it, check everything twice. IIRC the belt came as a kit w/ pulleys. Take the plugs out so you don't have to fight the compression.
One of those jobs that needs to be done before it goes bad.
I found it easy and straightforward, just a little nerve wracking at startup. I never thought about it but with the plugs out I could have turned it by hand the first time. :shrug:

#23 ·
Leeann_93 said:
Ragenme said:
The bf had a Caravan when I met him. It never ran while I knew him until the junk man hauled it away...it needed its 4th fuel pump and 3rd tranny.
Awwww, where's the Caravan love?!?!? My other van is a Caravan. Ok, my wife's van is a Caravan. It's on it's 3rd fuel pump (2nd was trash, lived only a month) but it's still on it's first engine & tranny. Other than the A/C, which was out when we got it, it only has had minor issues. It's taken us to the Dakotas and to Pennsylvania and states in-between, plus other countless trips within the state. Considering it's at 167k miles and still ticking, with better mpg than my Astro. I'd drive it coast to coast in a heartbeat. Ok, end rant, I'd rather drive my Astro coast to coast...

Anyhow, back on topic, I get to see Fleet Farm's tire dept tomorrow, I got a set of 4 new tires for the Caravan over New Years weekend, and one keeps losing air. And my cycles are sleeping thru winter til it gets nice enough to start getting them ready for spring.

-Andrew

#25 ·
I knew this thread would come in handy at least for me. And I glad to see it getting some miles put on it by everyone else.

Well tomorrow no chevelle for me. My buddy with the Furd truck. Well his grand daughters car did a stupid. Axle broke. Right where the nut holds it on. So the brake is all that is holding the wheel on now.

So I roughing it tomorrow in a unheated garage with hunting clothes on. A tiny space heater. My portable compressor. And loading up the carry tool box. My baby sure isn't going outside for it. My van staying warm and dry.

Deal is this, she got his baby the truck. And we have to fix hers to get the truck back. I do all the work on it, I built it like the van. So I get to use it. But he kinda funny about people using it other than us. Everytime they use it something comes back broke.

So tomorrow brakes and a axle at least. On the chevy/toyota. The prism critter. Get it back to being safe for them again.

My question is how do you break an axle like that. I never seen that before. No rim damage at all.

:confused: