What have you done with your other vehicles today.

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

What have you done with your other vehicles today.

Postby chevymaher [OP] » January 23rd 2013, 4:13pm

Since we all have other vehicles.
And we all basically work on our own stuff.
And we talk about it on the forum.
I modeled this thread after the infamous . "What have you done to your van today" Thread for just such emergencies and what not.

Well since my van is mothballed right now till warm weather. I been driving the truck. I having the same as the van did before. When it is this cold, 6-16 degrees the truck just don't get warm long. Heater suffering. I going to put a piece of cardboard in the radiator today. When you stop driving the temp gauge drops and the heater is Poo-Poo. And it is loading up from being cold and idling so much warming up. One good throttle application and it fine, but after a few days of kid glove idling around it just dont run the same.

Cutting and placing the cardboard all it getting for now. As my baby is hogging up the heat in the garage and she is not coming out. And I sure am not standing outside looking for and modifying a heater control valve in 15 degree weather. So I will deal with it when it gets to 40 degrees or above. For for now we are good.

If anyone feels I was wrong starting this thread. In my back yard I have a large supply of pitchforks and torches. Some rocks in a pile. Feel free to come by and run me out of town on a rail. We will be serving beverage of your choice and snacks before the stoning commences. Please RSVP promptly so I know to get additional pitchforks and torches. We have a unexhaustable supply of rocks. I hope everyone enjoys the event.

Thank You.
The soon to be stoned.
:whack:
Original Poster [OP]
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 82
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: What have you done with your other vehicles today.

Postby xit » January 23rd 2013, 4:28pm

Sure, most of us have more than one vehicle, I have two others that serve me well. One is a 1985 Ford f-150 2wd 302cid, the other is my gas miser a 1988 Mercury Tracer 2 dr. 1.6ltr EFI that still gets 32mpg on the highway and about 24 city. I maintain all of my vehicles & have few issues. :D
Possibly Natures most perfect food, good beef jerky and cold beer......
xit
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: xit has been a member for 5 full yearsxit has been a member for 5 full yearsxit has been a member for 5 full yearsxit has been a member for 5 full yearsxit has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 50
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Conversion

Postby Ragenme » January 23rd 2013, 5:28pm

Well I have a couple. A 1997 suburban lt with Im guessing close to 200,000+-. 5.7 350 ( I had to replace the odometer when I bought it) I run it almost everyday. I have to re do the brake lines on it soon. Gm didn't put the best lines on. I have the Subaru outback awd. I get about 23 mpg combined. I haven't had to do a lot with it yet and Im not looking forward to fixing anything on it. It has this little engine and a huge trans. I have to do the timing belt and water pump this spring.
ragenme If you can't fix it with a hammer then its probably a electrical problem!
Ragenme
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Ragenme has been a member for 4 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 4 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 4 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Ragenme
Year: 1998
Extra Info: SLX 4.3 V6 RWD

Postby Leeann_93 » January 24th 2013, 3:39am

Decided to put historic tags on my '93 Toyota Tercel - no emissions testing. 197,xxx miles and runs strong, gets good mileage, but marginal on emissions. So I'll put historic tags on shortly (current tags run out in Feb anyway).

Thought about what I'm going to do with the 2005 Jeep Liberty when I get it here (blown tranny), where I'm going to put it, etc.

Think I'm putting the '99 Safari and '93 Astro up for sale shortly and the '93 Bravada is going to head to the pick-n-pull.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 27
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby thegreenmachine » January 24th 2013, 3:49am

took the 06 matrix to work, waited 45 mins for the guys.....sat there wondering why it always feels like its gonna stall at idle (5pd manual), feels right at 800rpm, likes to sit around 600rpm. (i'd ask the people on the matrix forum, but its full of a**holes.)

also, why the heck did i remove the sub-woofer from this car to put in the van? sounds way nicer in the matrix. but i think, dur to the added space in the van, and placment of sub (behind the second row facing forward as my 3rd row is in my garage, its what i drink beer on while working on the van) i think 2- 12" are in order. maybe under the secong row. guess i have to measure and make sure. I pretty sure i can get 3 - 10" angled under there.......
"that looks legit"

03 4WD Astro 6" lift NP233 4x4 t-case 245/75/16 ets trail master mud tires
95 AWD Safari money pit
99 AWD Safari crashed and crushed
97 Safari Cargo sold 447,000km
thegreenmachine
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: thegreenmachine has been a member for 7 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 7 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 7 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 7 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 7 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 7 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 62
Alias (AKA): Shane a lane
Year: 2003
Extra Info: Lifted 4x4 233 tcase

Postby diego89 » January 24th 2013, 5:16am

i have a 1984 Buick Regal Limited right now is just sitting on my back yard getting primer. today i sanded down the primer with 220 grit paper got rid of some low spots and if it doesn't rain on Saturday it will get primer again and do a final sand for paint.

getting stoned :obscene-smokingweed:
diego89
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: diego89 has been a member for 7 full yearsdiego89 has been a member for 7 full yearsdiego89 has been a member for 7 full yearsdiego89 has been a member for 7 full yearsdiego89 has been a member for 7 full yearsdiego89 has been a member for 7 full yearsdiego89 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 40
Extra Info: with opt. hydraulics

Postby redfury » January 24th 2013, 6:46am

Maher, are you sure you don't have a thermostat that is sticking open? It's been -13F here and short of it taking longer to actually heat up, I've got great heat in the van, and my wifes explorer, and my 300k Toyota Tacoma work truck. The fact that the temp drops makes me think this...it shouldn't run colder than what the t stat is supposed to regulate it at, unless your engine simply cannot produce heat...and we know that ain't true.

The Green Machine...you might want to clean the MAF on the Matrix if it hasn't been done since new, that could take care of that pesky idling problem.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby redfury » January 24th 2013, 6:50am

Oh, forgot to talk about my other vehicle! The 96 Explorer ( v8 ) needs a new exhaust gasket between the cats ( it's got 4 of them! ) I thought it was a burned through pipe or one of the cats split, but the extreme cold temps pointed out exactly where that thing was leaking as I could plainly see the leak. The gasket broke and fell out. 13 bucks for a new one and of course, I have to order it. Too cold to worry about doing exhaust work, so I'll either have the local shop do it, or I'll take care of it when it gets back up to freezing temps during the day. this subzero garbage keeps me indoors unless absolutely necessary.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full yearsredfury has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby chevymaher [OP] » January 24th 2013, 7:21am

redfury wrote:Maher, are you sure you don't have a thermostat that is sticking open? It's been -13F here and short of it taking longer to actually heat up, I've got great heat in the van, and my wifes explorer, and my 300k Toyota Tacoma work truck. The fact that the temp drops makes me think this...it shouldn't run colder than what the t stat is supposed to regulate it at, unless your engine simply cannot produce heat...and we know that ain't true.

I was thinking that to. It is, with the cardboard, reaching temp. Then dropping a little. At idle is isnt dropping like it was. And the heat is good now always the same. I was thinking it is working but really slow reacting. Sticking. But now that the water in the radiator is staying hotter the heater is blowing hot air all the time. Fixed for now. I sure am not doing it standing in the cold. New T-Stat when it warms up for sure.
Original Poster [OP]
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 82
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby tedanderson » January 24th 2013, 5:15pm

I went to the JY today because I needed a mirror for my Aztek and an alternator for my Durango. The well organized and managed yards didn't have anything in stock so I went out to this "bargain" JY that just piles up the cars in the yard. They are so low-budget that they charge $1 to enter, make you sign a waiver, and then they say "good luck finding what you need" because they don't keep an inventory list. They just divide everything up by cars and truck.

Anyhow it was great because when I got to the truck section I found BOTH VEHICLES sitting side by side. I got the alternator and the mirror and I was done in less than 15 minutes! :banana: For a place that doesn't get too many A/S vans, they happened to have a bunch in the yard today. If I had more time and better tools, I would have picked up a dutch door.
tedanderson
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan

Postby WoodButcher » January 24th 2013, 10:08pm

Ragenme wrote: I have the Subaru outback awd. I get about 23 mpg combined. I haven't had to do a lot with it yet and Im not looking forward to fixing anything on it. It has this little engine and a huge trans. I have to do the timing belt and water pump this spring.

Is that the one with an "interference" motor? I did that job on my kids subie, said a few prayers, crossed my fingers and toes before I turned the key. You see the valves are in the path of the piston when they are open so if you get it wrong you'll know the moment the engine turns once. If it fires your golden, if you hear a crunch,,, well, go get a new motor, it's toast.
I had a hanes manual and where it got to removing the belt cover it mentioned something about a skilled repairman...
I did the deed anyway, the patient lived.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 28
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD

Postby Leeann_93 » January 24th 2013, 10:45pm

tedanderson wrote:I went to the JY today because I needed a mirror for my Aztek and an alternator for my Durango. The well organized and managed yards didn't have anything in stock so I went out to this "bargain" JY that just piles up the cars in the yard. They are so low-budget that they charge $1 to enter, make you sign a waiver, and then they say "good luck finding what you need" because they don't keep an inventory list. They just divide everything up by cars and truck.

Anyhow it was great because when I got to the truck section I found BOTH VEHICLES sitting side by side. I got the alternator and the mirror and I was done in less than 15 minutes! :banana: For a place that doesn't get too many A/S vans, they happened to have a bunch in the yard today. If I had more time and better tools, I would have picked up a dutch door.

Crazy Ray's? The one in Laurel?

/me loves Crazy Ray's...any of their yards....
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full years

Postby Darrenmb » January 24th 2013, 10:51pm

i have done nothing with my other vehicles today! jag is all tucked away until its time to drive it again, and the escape isnt out of warranty yet :)
Darrenmb
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Darrenmb has been a member for 5 full yearsDarrenmb has been a member for 5 full yearsDarrenmb has been a member for 5 full yearsDarrenmb has been a member for 5 full yearsDarrenmb has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 41
Extra Info: Cargo van

Postby mybike1 » January 25th 2013, 12:19am

Sorry, moved it :doh:
Last edited by mybike1 on January 25th 2013, 12:44am, edited 1 time in total.
1996 Astro AWD 4.3 LS
mybike1
Years of Membership: mybike1 has been a member for 4 full yearsmybike1 has been a member for 4 full yearsmybike1 has been a member for 4 full yearsmybike1 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 20
Year: 1996
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD LS

Postby Ragenme » January 25th 2013, 12:39am

WoodButcher it is a interference motor. I am not looking forward to doing this job. I will take my time and replace it all. Its been a few years since I've done one.
ragenme If you can't fix it with a hammer then its probably a electrical problem!
Ragenme
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: Ragenme has been a member for 4 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 4 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 4 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 4 full years

Postby Ragenme » January 25th 2013, 12:41am

Leeann_93 wrote:
tedanderson wrote:I went to the JY today because I needed a mirror for my Aztek and an alternator for my Durango. The well organized and managed yards didn't have anything in stock so I went out to this "bargain" JY that just piles up the cars in the yard. They are so low-budget that they charge $1 to enter, make you sign a waiver, and then they say "good luck finding what you need" because they don't keep an inventory list. They just divide everything up by cars and truck.

Crazy Ray's? The one in Laurel?

/me loves Crazy Ray's...any of their yards....

They open another Crazy Rays in Haford county but I still like Hawkins point the most!
Ragenme
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Leeann_93 » January 25th 2013, 12:44am

I go to Erdman Ave, my pressman goes to Hawkins Point.

I love the place...must go soon...
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby mybike1 » January 25th 2013, 1:01am

Not today, but yesterday... poured in some gas and got her running...finally. Now the real work begins :banana:
1996 Astro AWD 4.3 LS
mybike1
Years of Membership: mybike1 has been a member for 4 full yearsmybike1 has been a member for 4 full yearsmybike1 has been a member for 4 full yearsmybike1 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 20
Year: 1996
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD LS

Postby Ragenme » January 25th 2013, 1:23am

Leeann_93 wrote:I go to Erdman Ave, my pressman goes to Hawkins Point.

I used to live on Erdman,years ago. I used that location almost every weekend. Thats back when I was crazy enough to drive Caravans. Seemed something was broke all the time.
Ragenme
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Leeann_93 » January 25th 2013, 1:32am

Ragenme wrote:
Leeann_93 wrote:I go to Erdman Ave, my pressman goes to Hawkins Point.

I used to live on Erdman,years ago. I used that location almost every weekend. Thats back when I was crazy enough to drive Caravans. Seemed something was broke all the time.

The bf had a Caravan when I met him. It never ran while I knew him until the junk man hauled it away...it needed its 4th fuel pump and 3rd tranny.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader

Next