Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Astro Van Trailer

7K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  TDMobile 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I need some help.
I may start a project in the winter inspired by a thread I spotted while on the old forums but just can't seem to track down.

I've seen some people chop up their old vans and convert the rear portion starting from behind the front doors, sliding door and interior intact, a trailer.

It literally looked like one of our vans had been chopped in half and had a trailer hitch attatched to the front.
I'm not sure having passengers in that sort of thing would be legal but I was thinking of doing it for cargo.

Would anyone have any useful links or the older threads?

#2 ·
Hi Apex
Yes that was petey that did that and he still has it. It's called "Tramper" I believe. I think he did an outstanding job on his van and the trailer. The images are now removed but you can still read about the work he did on it.
Here is the link to his project:
cgi/ib/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=16;t=14340

Hope this helps. :)

#4 ·
That's it! I think I remember seeing a trailer just like the first orange and gray one but stock-looking!
If anyone had a spare van to be scrapped I think that would be a GREAT idea!

So I wonder if it would be legal to carry passengers in those rear sections? XD

#7 ·
If I built one i would have a BIG window on the front and a fold down cot and stainless fold down cooking table for camping. It would be lifted 6" on 33" M/T of course. Rhino lined floor and ATV ramps to make it a Mini Toy Hauler towed by a 'mini' van. I suppose you could also have a trailer hitch on the trailer too so you could pull a flat bed with another ATV or dirt bikes on it....Hmmmmm.... Might as well utilize the V8. If you did that though...it wouldnt be wise to lift it.....

PS...
I would leave the gas tank in and rig up an electrical system to utilize the Fuel pump so you could fill up said ATV.

#8 ·
One of the things I would think is important to a build like this would be to get a donor van that was a conversion high top van before.In Ole Yellar I can almost stand up in it.Sure makes camping/hauling things around easier.I am also suggesting the later yr vans so it is not a shorty,but the longer style.

One other thing I was told is some sort of brakes is really needed for a project like this.FYI.

#10 ·
I agree it would be better to have the EXT style van so it's longer. For the trailer brakes, just go with electric brakes. They are very simple to install and really do help.
People riding on the trailer? NO unless it's a hay ride in a parade and you are going at 10 mph max. or they are your :cheers:
Seriously, not a good idea.

#11 ·
The question about brakes brings me to thinking about the use of a Astro rearend.I have to admitt that I am not real clear how it was done,but I believe the pinion gear was removed to eliminate heat issues and the carrior(sp) gear was left in place to help splash/lube.The nose of the rearend was capped off and welded.The one case I am aware of is surge braking system is in use.I am not a big fan of surge brakes in a hilly towing sitution from having to use them renting the u-haul car trailers.Too jecky for me.You would of course have to find backing plates of electric brakes with the same bolt pattern for the backing plate of the Astro rearend.Don't know if they are out there somewhere.

#12 ·
If I was to build one as a trailer, I would just get/adapt a trailer axle to it. Keep it simple. I added electric brakes to my trailer and it's a simple job. And a trailer axle is held to the leaf springs like any regular rear axle. And you can get a strait or lowered axle.
I'd be more concerned of how to do the chassis of the trailer.

#13 ·
I agree about a trailer axle.Getting one that has the same location spring pockets or one with them welded to the top of the axle is something I don't know if it is available.If the donor van was cut before the pillar's,a hitch frame "could" be built from a cut-off point of front subframe as a attaching point or a hitch frame could be built to bolt to the attaching points the sub frame used.

#14 ·
Too bad peters pics are gone. He had some great pics of how to hook up the frame of the van to the frame of the trailer hitch. As far as putting a hitch on the back of the trailer and towing a smaller trailer on the back of it. That is not allowed nearly everywhere. The only place I have seen that is in Alberta between Calgary and Edmonton and in Oregeon and only with Semi trucks. In Alberta it might be legal with a class A motorhome. But I highly doubt that it would be legal with a mini van as you just don't have the weight on the tow vehicle to deal with cross winds and so on.

#15 ·
Most trailer axles come with no location spring pockets welded. You buy the axle and the pockets at the trailer parts store and then you weld them.
All this is assuming that if you are going to build a trailer, you have the skill of welding. If you can weld, things become much more simple during the build.
I will keep an eye on any donor van available.
I've seen people in Texas pulling traveling trailers with heavy duty trucks and the traveling trailer pulling another trailer with the "toys". Thats something I would not do with my Astro.

#18 ·
I had another Astro pull up besides me at a light yesterday and think it would be better to chop it off at the firewall and use the windshields "aerodynamic" properties as the front nose. This would require moving the axle around to compensate for the extra weight and I would rather get two donor vehicles to make a double wheel well out of the 2nd donor like the OP's photochop. Lots of extra work but it would look really cool to see it being pulled behind another Astro. My wife was laughing at getting a "little boy" trailer but I think this would be better but more time consuming and a lot heavier.

#19 ·
BBSig said:
I had another Astro pull up besides me at a light yesterday and think it would be better to chop it off at the firewall and use the windshields "aerodynamic" properties as the front nose. This would require moving the axle around to compensate for the extra weight and I would rather get two donor vehicles to make a double wheel well out of the 2nd donor like the OP's photochop. Lots of extra work but it would look really cool to see it being pulled behind another Astro. My wife was laughing at getting a "little boy" trailer but I think this would be better but more time consuming and a lot heavier.
Alternatively, and more complicated, you could leave the front axles intact, and connect them to the tow bar. You would have a dual axle trailer, but one front and one rear. It could stand on it's own (no tongue jack required), have better weight distribution for the loading, NOT drag on your hitch as much, and would "steer" with the tow vehicle.

#20 ·
Problem is, even removing the drivetrain, you are pulling a LOT of weight just to have a unique trailer....How light do you think a set up like this would end up getting after removing the interior ( seats, etc ) and drivetrain components....

#21 ·
Since our vans are pretty much removable boxes, perhaps a fun approach would be to build/buy a basic flatbed trailer. Either the classic converted Chev pickup frame or a Harbor Freight util trailer. Then cut, reshape, mount the van box on that trailer. Removing the suspension from the box and putting it on the trailer frame seems like it would allow more leeway in customizing the box on top without having to work around the rear spring mounts.

Lump

#23 ·
BBSig said:
Heres a photochop I did

http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=6343

#25 ·
Lumpy is right that it would be far easier but so would buying a chevy crew cab 4x4 truck than making a van into an offroad machine. I thought it would look cool seeing an Astro pulling another Astro.

My idea was to cut the hood area totally off right prior to the windshield and then add in a dual axle setup. It will make for a heavy trailer but I think this would be a cool factor more than anything. It would be heavy as all get out but the coolness would outweigh the weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.