Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

The Successor to the A/S Van

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  tinworm 
#1 ·
#8 ·
I guess the Transit and Sprinter vans are undercutting somewhat. After looking at the powertrain options, why not just get a Venture/Uplander/whatever FWD POS they're selling next really? FWD and a 1.5/1.6/2.0L 4banger or the 1.5L Diesel in Europe (a much cooler version I'm sure.) It looks like 3 or 4 fairly decent vehicles screwed each other and one of these popped out.

#9 ·
Mr_Roboto said:
I guess the Transit and Sprinter vans are undercutting somewhat. After looking at the powertrain options, why not just get a Venture/Uplander/whatever FWD POS they're selling next really? FWD and a 1.5/1.6/2.0L 4banger or the 1.5L Diesel in Europe (a much cooler version I'm sure.) It looks like 3 or 4 fairly decent vehicles screwed each other and one of these popped out.
That pretty much sums up GM's formula lately no?

Attachments

#10 ·
To revive this thread, i do like the nv200 rear door split, but the thing i really like about the old astros is they are overcapacitied for work. They are built with the drivetrain layout of a much larger vehicle in a small van body, so can tow tons, and can put up with massive abuse because they were designed down from a full size work vehicle, not designed up from a car.

This thing looks like it was designed up from a mail truck, i dont see it filled to the ceiling with heavy tools and towing a trailer full of scrap lumber, and holding up to it. I do however see it as a good cab or courier vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.