What have you done to/with your van today?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Re: What have you done to/with your van today?

Postby srdragonusa » February 14th 2017, 6:34pm

Leeann_93 wrote:Put some guns and ammo in it, drove it to Free America, shot said guns and ammo, picked up a new gun and drove it home. Got 18.2 mpg for the trip, which isn't bad considering I went 75-80 whenever possible (most of the way).

Awesome! How far did you have to drive? BTW the Awesome was for going Shooting! Was it Long guns or Handguns? Outdoors or Indoors?

Believe it or not the only Outdoors Shooting I have done is Trap.
P@ul AKA SR Dragon
2003 AWD Astro
1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2012 Nissan Xterra Pro4X (wife's)
srdragonusa
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Paul
Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • And today's lesson is.....
    by Astrocurious » April 26th 2017, 8:09pm in Climate Control
    2 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    April 26th 2017, 11:33pm
  • Went for a spin in the Woods today
    by ORYGUN ASSTRO » April 12th 2017, 2:38am in Exterior
    13 Replies
    Last post by carnage View the latest post
    April 30th 2017, 11:40pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    May 30th 2017, 12:17pm

Postby Lumpy » February 14th 2017, 8:10pm

Whenever I get my photos developed, I immediately take a picture of them with my camera. Then I'll have the photos with me everywhere I go.

:doh:

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Leeann_93 » February 14th 2017, 10:52pm

srdragonusa wrote:
Leeann_93 wrote:Put some guns and ammo in it, drove it to Free America, shot said guns and ammo, picked up a new gun and drove it home. Got 18.2 mpg for the trip, which isn't bad considering I went 75-80 whenever possible (most of the way).

Awesome! How far did you have to drive? BTW the Awesome was for going Shooting! Was it Long guns or Handguns? Outdoors or Indoors?

Believe it or not the only Outdoors Shooting I have done is Trap.

About 3 hours, shot on a friend's property outside, both long guns and handguns. We normally go to an outdoors range about an hour from us where just about anything goes, but we had a rifle to pick up at our friend's place. He's got a pretty good backstop set up, nice and low.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 27
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby 1lowcab » February 15th 2017, 2:27am

Just got back from the Fotomat so heres the pics.

The bolt I had to cut out

All the blades I had to use to cut through said bolt

Bad bushings

All anti seized up and ready for the bearing

Got it all back together today and waiting on an alignment.

I even had time to work on more led's .

I finally figured out how to get the blue leds in the mirror control.
2003 Astro AWD, G80, 3" Lift, Hankook Dynapro ATM All Terrains
1lowcab
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 28
Extra Info: AWD G80 3 Inch Lift

Postby five10freak » February 16th 2017, 6:38am

hey guys and gals, have not posted for some time now, but i'm back,lol

this was a few days ago, my vans starter quit the night of a good 1.5 foot snowfall. needles to say i found myself and my lil brother digging out my van the following day laying in the snow swapping out the starter.

and while under my van i get to notice that my sway bar has snapped on the passenger side, apparently this is a common thing with these hollow sway bars. guess what im doing next!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
five10freak
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: five10freak has been a member for 4 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 4 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 4 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): five10freak
Year: 1999
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby AstroWill » February 16th 2017, 8:04am

five10freak wrote:and while under my van i get to notice that my sway bar has snapped on the passenger side, apparently this is a common thing with these hollow sway bars. guess what im doing next!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Pretty common, don't bother to get a used one.
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 66
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

Postby five10freak » February 16th 2017, 9:03am

AstroWill wrote:
five10freak wrote:and while under my van i get to notice that my sway bar has snapped on the passenger side, apparently this is a common thing with these hollow sway bars. guess what im doing next!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Pretty common, don't bother to get a used one.

nope, definitely going new. Looking at this puppy unless you guys tell me different.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bel-5428/all/year/1999/make/chevrolet/model/astro
five10freak
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: five10freak has been a member for 4 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 4 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 4 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): five10freak
Year: 1999
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Meterpig » February 17th 2017, 8:40am

After two years of living with the stock body mounts with the rubber isolators, I installed the prothane mounts the "right" way. Meaning, there is no longer a rubber isolator. This means that all engine, exhaust and tire noise comes through to the cab like the giant echo chamber it is.

But..

The van rides so much better. By ride I mean, little to no body roll. Keep in mind, the isolators are about an inch and a half deep. So, every time you turn, you get a little roll built in. It's an incredible different.

I am using the prothane spacers with the 2 inch lift blocks for a total puck spacing of 3.5 inches. the fact that I can reach in and easily touch the cap and rotor from the front is well worth it. I highly recommend using the prothane spacers and cheap body lift pucks. Use heavy duty bolts and anti seize. I had to take them out today and two of them were seized nicely requiring a 3 foot breaker bar. If they had been crap bolts, they would have busted off.

Also, I ditched those horrible plastic things that hold on the bumper fascia and used standard bolts and nuts. And I bolted on the license plate. Unless someone has a 13 mil and a 12 mil, they aren't getting the front off. :nono:

The front fenders now sit at 33 inches and the rear sits 32 inches. The radio antennae sits 3 inches from the garage door header...so..

Plus, lifting a leg to get in the van is a full deal affair now. My wife...isn't so happy.
Meterpig
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 2 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 48
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Extra Info: Not a minivan

Postby Ironsides » February 17th 2017, 1:16pm

Meterpig wrote:Plus, lifting a leg to get in the van is a full deal affair now. My wife...isn't so happy.

That's what I've been wrestling with, restore stock height or go 4" and make her miserable.
We only need it strong to tow, I'm just going to 22-1195HD and CC650. Gabriel Load Carriers rear and Max Control front. All new ball joints, whatever is broke out loose and we'll look at it after that.
Working on my 2001 RWD Safari Van: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=112353
Ironsides
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Ironsides has been a member for 2 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): Dave
Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE V6 RWD

Postby 97cargocrawler » February 17th 2017, 5:20pm

Ironsides wrote:
Meterpig wrote:Plus, lifting a leg to get in the van is a full deal affair now. My wife...isn't so happy.

That's what I've been wrestling with, restore stock height or go 4" and make her miserable.
We only need it strong to tow, I'm just going to 22-1195HD and CC650. Gabriel Load Carriers rear and Max Control front. All new ball joints, whatever is broke out loose and we'll look at it after that.

Ahempussyahem.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): CC, CARGO, CRAWLER, ASSHOLE
Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby WoodButcherWoodButcher is online! » February 17th 2017, 5:24pm

Meterpig wrote:
I am using the prothane spacers with the 2 inch lift blocks for a total puck spacing of 3.5 inches.

Prothane spacers? Is this something different than the poly body mount you use the stock cup and washer with?
WoodButcherWoodButcher is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD

Postby Ironsides » February 18th 2017, 12:12am

97cargocrawler wrote:
Ironsides wrote:

Ahempussyahem.

Wow that's funny! Whatever dude.
No... her knees man. It's her knees, literally in pain from climbing in and out the van all day.
Ironsides
Years of Membership: Ironsides has been a member for 2 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 2 full years

Postby Meterpig » February 18th 2017, 5:14am

WoodButcher wrote:
Meterpig wrote:
I am using the prothane spacers with the 2 inch lift blocks for a total puck spacing of 3.5 inches.

Prothane spacers? Is this something different than the poly body mount you use the stock cup and washer with?

These.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003A ... UTF8&psc=1

Ditched the OEM rubber things.
Meterpig
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 2 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 2 full years

Postby Meterpig » February 18th 2017, 5:17am

97cargocrawler wrote:
Ironsides wrote:

Ahempussyahem.

I am going to assume you are joking. My wife is pretty amazing and has put up with more vehicle Hijinks than most.
Meterpig
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)

Postby Ironsides » February 18th 2017, 6:06am

He was calling me *****
Ironsides

Postby Ironsides » February 18th 2017, 3:45pm

Today I am buying more parts for my van.

pic of a pussy driving a Chevy
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_hqdefault.jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_hqdefault.jpg (11.38 KiB) Viewed 97 times

funny: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R-7tx6qu83Q
Ironsides

Postby Leeann_93 » February 18th 2017, 10:01pm

Filled all the tires to 40 psi. Checked the oil, transmission fluid and coolant. Sprayed the hood latch down with PB to keep it lubricated and clean.

Loaded the rear with a bunch of junk, drove it to the dump. Came home, loaded it with a bunch of junk, drove it to the dump.

Came home, noticed my mileage says 17.6 mpg at ½ tank (woohoo!), used the blower tip on the air hose to blow the leaves, dirt and little bits of rust out of the back, unfold the rear seat and take any trash in it to the trash can.

Now it's beer thirty ;)
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full years

Postby Lee in Mountain View » February 18th 2017, 10:36pm

Leeann,
You have all the fun!! :D :D
My Tow Vehicle!
Lee in Mountain View
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Topics: 7
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby 1lowcab » February 18th 2017, 10:38pm

Sprayed all of the hinges, rollers and latches on all the doors with fluid film, they move slick as **** now.

I can close the slider with one finger, that fluid film is the best!!!!
2003 Astro AWD, G80, 3" Lift, Hankook Dynapro ATM All Terrains
1lowcab
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 1 full year
Extra Info: AWD G80 3 Inch Lift

Postby Leeann_93 » February 18th 2017, 10:45pm

Lee in Mountain View wrote:Leeann,
You have all the fun!! :D :D

Y'mean because of the beer thirty, right??? :poke:
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
Image Image
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader

PreviousNext