1995 Astro cranks but won't start

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

1995 Astro cranks but won't start

Postby zumacarl [OP] » September 8th 2009, 3:37am

I have a 1995 Chevy Astro van that was running fine when I parked it and 3 days later all it will do is crank but will not start. Here is what I have tried already.
tune up, moved the ground wire from the t-stat to grounding block, -checked the fuel pressure which is 50 psi when i turn the key, replaced the fuel filter and tried a good coil and module and nothing has changed still cranks but does not even try to start, but I did spray a shot of starting fluid in and it did fire. Am i missing something obvious? If you have any suggestions please let me know thanks in advance.
Original Poster [OP]
zumacarl
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: zumacarl has been a member for 5 full yearszumacarl has been a member for 5 full yearszumacarl has been a member for 5 full yearszumacarl has been a member for 5 full yearszumacarl has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 1
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: slt rwd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: 1995 Astro cranks but won't start

Postby 'cudapaul » September 8th 2009, 5:15am

Yes, you are missing something obvious.

If the engine will start and briefly run when you injected ether, then you don't have enough fuel to run the engine.

You will need to open the plenum to see if the FPR or high pressure fuel line is leaking and then repair/replace the defective parts. '95's (CPI) are notorius for the exact symptom you are describing. Leave the fuel pressure gauge on the Schrader valve for about 1/2 hour. If it leaks down to less than 30 psi by then, replace the FPR, high presure line, or injection spider. You can buy any of the fuel parts from the dealer ($$$) or rockauto.com ($$1/$).

BTW, 50 PSI of fuel pressure is not enough to start and run your engine, you need 54-58 PSI minimum.

And I love CPI engines. They produce the most stock horsepower and get the best fuel economy when they are working correctly.
'cudapaul
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA): 'cudapaul
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby chemist » September 14th 2009, 1:04am

Have you tried banging on the fuel tank with a hammer. Do this, then have someone turn the key after you've banged a couple times. Continue and it may start--no, wait you said you had fuel pressure. But someone else here is saying not enough, so maybe. Can you hear the pump engage?

Also of note: I had an occurence similar to what you described on a 95 Buick LeSabre that I had owned. After 2 days of trouble shooting I had it towed to a dealer garage. It was a failed crank sensor... But that doesn't make sense in your case either because you have enough spark to start with ether, you said, right?
2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 124,000 mi

a must read
chemist
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: chemist has been a member for 6 full yearschemist has been a member for 6 full yearschemist has been a member for 6 full yearschemist has been a member for 6 full yearschemist has been a member for 6 full yearschemist has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 26

Postby Big_kid » September 14th 2009, 2:18am

Definite fuel problem- enrich it with ether, it runs. I thought 95's required 60+ psi, but I'm probably mistaken.

X2 what 'CudaPaul said too.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 80
Extra Info: 2WD conversion

Postby $uperJoe » September 14th 2009, 5:05am

i would check the ignition control module in the distributor. it tells the ecm when to pulse the injectors. the spark will work reguardless. this is what was wrong with my van last week. replaced it and it started right away. this would be alot easier to check than removing the plenum. good luck on a easy fix.
Don't explain it poorly 5 times. Take the 15 seconds to go out and take a picture of it!!
Please do not confuse idle conversation with technical advise

Check out my Van build
$uperJoe
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: $uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 59
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby astro355 » September 14th 2009, 9:05am

Big_kid wrote:Definite fuel problem- enrich it with ether, it runs. I thought 95's required 60+ psi, but I'm probably mistaken.

X2 what 'CudaPaul said too.

x3, no need to spend money on other parts here. Adding more fuel (starting fluid) to the engine and it fires means its not getting enough fluid. Cudapaul for the win.
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 57
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby Mr_Bowtie » September 14th 2009, 11:44am

What if you hold the gas pedal down will it start then? Thats the only way my Astro would start when the fuel pressure lines and regulator inside the plenum were leaking. I assume it was getting more air from the throttle blade being opened then it would start and spit black crap(raw fuel) everywhere. :lol:
'96 Astro AWD 206K miles!
31" tires LIFTED 4" total with tires! SOLD! :(
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Nick
Year: 1996
Extra Info: Lifted AWD