Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

93 astro/safari

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  chevymaher 
#1 ·
is a 93 astro TBI or CPI everywhere i look on the internet some say TBI and some say CPI which is it or did that year have an optional engine

#2 ·
Its optional. You can verify it by the VIN number. Eight digit will tell you which fuel injection it has....... W = CPI & Z = TBI

#4 ·
I have both and perfer the 4.3 with TBI more. It just seems to run smoother and accelerate smoother, but maybe its just cause its not turning all 4 wheels? Either way I like the TBI better too. :)

#6 ·
My opinion is TBI over CPI on the OBD 1's for the sake of reliability. Performance wise CPI is better just cause you gain that extra 20hp. I speak from experience because I have a 93 W code safari and it has been a problem child, I went thru 2 reman fuel spiders and 1 new ac delco spider (pressure regulators were bad on em all) plus the fuel supply lines were bad also. The ultimate fix was a fuel spider that came off of my dads old 94 chevy blazer with 178k on it and boy does my van run top notch for now.

#7 ·
MrMomVan said:
My opinion is TBI over CPI on the OBD 1's for the sake of reliability. Performance wise CPI is better just cause you gain that extra 20hp.
That was because they saddled the TBI with weaker heads. TBI intake actually produced better power if it had the same heads.
It wasn't the TBI it was poor design on purpose to try to make the new CPI seem better. I mean who would buy a vehicle if it ran worse and had higher maintenance cost and got the same mileage?
Just saying. :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.